How many deer can I get this year?

The Engineer

So. Now that I have my bow license and my gun and my black powder tag. How many deer does that let me take? I was going to use my compound bow on Long Island then many crossbow upstate the last 2 weeks before rifle season. Then gun upstate and black powder on LI. So my first question is can I  get a deer with both compound and crossbow and still get one with black powder or will I lose that right? Sorry the only question not explained on the online course 

Bow and muzzle season you can shoot a doe or a buck with your buck tag and a doe with doe tag -2

Gun/regular season you have a buck tag. -1

Then if you get a doe permit or two add those which are good in any of the seasons. 

If you don't fill your gun buck tag during regular season that is also good in late muzzleloader for a buck or a doe. 

Any tag not used in bow can be used in muzzle. 

I would have no idea on LI if any special regs.

( I think I got this right lol.  Only because my hunting buddy always asks me every year then laughs and says " I will worry about it after I shoot ONE".) 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Bow and muzzle season you can shoot a doe or a buck with your buck tag and a doe with doe tag.

Your bow tag is a doe or buck tag. Muzzleloader tag is antlerless only.  

Either tag can be used in Archery or late archery/muzzleloader.

You can also have two dmp permits signed over to you. 

If you get 2 dmp tags, and have additional ones signed over to you that would be a total of 7 tags. 2 which can be bucks.

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, mowin said:

If you get 2 dmp tags, and have additional ones signed over to you that would be a total of 7 tags. 2 which can be bucks.

Lol. I think we basically said the same thing. 

Was also just thinking after you said that you can sign over tags.... That a couple of units I hunt offer a second round of tags as leftovers. So you could get two doe tags, have two signed over and then get two leftovers. Lol. Total of 9 tags.  

Hell I didn't even fill one last year and I had 7.  I will make up for it this year! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Lol. I think we basically said the same thing. 

Was also just thinking after you said that you can sign over tags.... That a couple of units I hunt offer a second round of tags as leftovers. So you could get two doe tags, have two signed over and then get two leftovers. Lol. Total of 9 tags.  

Hell I didn't even fill one last year and I had 7.  I will make up for it this year! 

I was just clearing up. You mentioned buck tag for bow muzzle.  I look at my buck tag as my regular season/rifle tag.  The bow/muzzle tags are antlerless and a either or, not buck only.

Yes some units will give out a 2nd round of tags if some are left over. But I've only received one of those if one of my two dmp were not chosen. I've never gotten one if I got both dmp's. Didn't realize they would send you another if you received both. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

I wasn't as clear sorry. Forget about the doe tags because on LI its 95% guarantee. In 4P not so much. With my bow tag I can get with either compound bow or crossbow not both. Also with the muzzle loader tag I can use that for crossbow for the last 2  weeks of archery season. 

47 minutes ago, mowin said:

I was just clearing up. You mentioned buck tag for bow muzzle.  I look at my buck tag as my regular season/rifle tag.  The bow/muzzle tags are antlerless and a either or, not buck only.

Yes some units will give out a 2nd round of tags if some are left over. But I've only received one of those if one of my two dmp were not chosen. I've never gotten one if I got both dmp's. Didn't realize they would send you another if you received both. 

Two of the areas I hunt are 7f and 7j and every year they don't have enough applicants to give out all the permits . So Nov 1 can get two more free, I just go to a sporting goods store and they print them out .  I always get them cause they are free so why not. It's crazy. Can shoot a herd ! 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Two of the areas I hunt are 7f and 7j and every year they don't have enough applicants to give out all the permits . So Nov 1 can get two more free, I just go to a sporting goods store and they print them out .  I always get them cause they are free so why not. It's crazy. Can shoot a herd ! 

Lol.   That's nuts.  I don't know what the hell I'd do with 9 deer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Engineer said:

I wasn't as clear sorry. Forget about the doe tags because on LI its 95% guarantee. In 4P not so much. With my bow tag I can get with either compound bow or crossbow not both. Also with the muzzle loader tag I can use that for crossbow for the last 2  weeks of archery season. 

I haven't hunted long island in years except the shotgun,But if you shoot a doe and bring it to the check station they keep renewing the tag there unlimited.It used to be for buck or doe but someone on here said not for the bucks anymore.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/10001.html#WMU_1C

15 hours ago, mowin said:

This comes up EVERY YEAR on here...lol. You think we could get  a pinned topic.  You almost have it 100% but let me modify a bit.  (LI may have other special modifications)

You buy a regular season hunting license.  ---1 antlered deer (statewide)

You apply for DMP's (doe permits) but really antlerless deer tags.  draw up to 2 in the normal application period. (those are for the specific WMU applied for)

If an area is under applied for you can get up to 2 more DMP's int he late open application period (usually after November 1st). 

When you buy your first special privilege  (bow hunting or muzzleloading) you get an 1---either sex tag. 

When you buy your second special privilege you get 1 antlerless only tag. 

Special season tags can be utilized in bow or ML season with any special privilege purchased. Meaning you can choose to fill both of them during bow or wait to fill both during ML. 

DMP's can be filled in any open season in that area. 

You can have cosigned over to you up to 2 DMP's from another hunter. (or sign yours over to someone else)

So could be 7 but could be up to 9. 

NOW to really confuse the issue if the regular season tag in NOT filled during the regular season it can be utilized as an either sex tag in  the late special seasons.  same number total for possible deer but changes how the tag can be used. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

This comes up EVERY YEAR on here...lol. You think we could get  a pinned topic.  You almost have it 100% but let me modify a bit.  (LI may have other special modifications)

You apply for DMP's (doe permits) but really antlerless deer tags.  draw up to 2 in the normal application period. (those are for the specific WMU applied for)

If an area is under applied for you can get up to 2 more DMP's int he late open application period (usually after November 1st). 

When you buy your first special privilege  (bow hunting or muzzleloading) you get an 1---either sex tag. 

Special season tags can be utilized in bow or ML season with any special privilege purchased. Meaning you can choose to fill both of them during bow or wait to fill both during ML. 

You can have cosigned over to you up to 2 DMP's from another hunter. (or sign yours over to someone else)

NOW to really confuse the issue if the regular season tag in NOT filled during the regular season it can be utilized as an either sex tag in  the late special seasons.  same number total for possible deer but changes how the tag can be used. 

Bingo.  I have 7 tags every year without anybody signing any over.  If I use them all, I end up giving plenty of meat away.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I believe we basically said the same thing. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

The biggest clarification is in on the special privilege. Bow isn't either sex the first one purchased is. 

I see what you're saying.  I automatically call my 1st privilege tag my bow tag, as that's the first season I can use it in.  It's still 7 deer(not including special zones or 2nd chance DMP). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mowin said:

I see what you're saying.  I automatically call my 1st privilege tag my bow tag, as that's the first season I can use it in.  It's still 7 deer(not including special zones or 2nd chance DMP). 

yeah. I just didn't want someone buying just a ML and thinking it would be antlerless. all good

• Like 1