blackbeltbill

Paying Alot More + Getting Alot Less..

Cleaning out some of my Bookshelves and came across most of my Old Hunting Licenses in a Neat Stack.  Much has changed as far as the Cost of a " Turkey Permit".

On 8/15/1996, I Paid $2.50 for a Turkey Permit.                                                      On 8/16/2000- THAT FEE WAS REDUCED TO JUST $2.00 for a Turkey Permit. I,am sure everyone at that time was very Happy with that as far as a deduction of cost.

So concidering that the Fall Turkey Season starting in the Fall of 2015 for DEC Areas 3 + 4 on the Regs Turkey Map was Reduced 1 Full Month to a Measly 2 Week Fall Season and the Bag Limit was Reduced from 2 Turkeys to just 1 Bird-- WHILE AT THE SAME TIME- THE TURKEY PERMIT FEE WAS RAISED TO A WHOOPING 10 BUCKS!

I Have to ask as a Hardcore Fall Turkey Hunter-- Why am, I Paying so much more and Getting a whole lot Less??!       There are so few Hardcore Fall Turkey Hunters in New York State that Slashing the Season and moving it back 3 Weeks to later October made no sense at all.

I am still awaiting DEC results from the Fall Season Change. Surely results should have been in by the end of 2019. That would be 5 years. Ample time for Survey Results.   Nothing will be posted by the DEC on this it seems. 

I think the DEC Made a Huge Blunder in moving the Fall Turkey Season in Zones 3 + 4 from October 1st to October 19th of this past 2019.  By doing that-- other Hunters - Rabbit, Squirrel,Pheasant,etc-- all who start on October 1st and Flush up Unwary Turkey Flocks- do you really think that 100% of them will " Hold their Fire"? 

My guess is alot more Turkey Poaching is going on in early October since 2015 especially in Zones 3 + 4.   This is a hard hitting Thread-- but, I know Human Nature. I wrote awhile back about a certain area that always have me a Fall Turkey on October 1st. Another small group hunts this area as well for the Turkeys. I already caught them 2 years in a row  Roost Shooting Turkeys at 50 minutes or so before Sunrise. And in the Fall-- Sunrise is legal shooting time for the big Birds. I had to Yell out after a casade of 12 Shots or so.

From 2015- 2019, I would hunt this area on the new Fall Turkey Opener nearly 3 weeks later. Just old Turkey sign from Weeks earlier. No Turkeys to speak of..  I think they were Poached big time in early October! 

Now most Hunters are ethical. But it just takes a few Outlaws scattered in many Locales to Decimate a Fall Turkey Flock before the Season Starts.  If the Turkey Population continues to drop-off what, I wrote above could be a small reason for it.    Bowing off the Dojo Floor.

when they did away with the sportsman and super sportsman, and said it will save the sportsman money.

They didn't lie. I saved $1.  IIRC, I now pay $98 for big, small, turkey, fishing and DMP. 

• Like 3

when they did away with the sportsman and super sportsman, and said it will save the sportsman money.
They didn't lie. I saved $1.  IIRC, I now pay $98 for big, small, turkey, fishing and DMP. 
Exactly it's a complete joke

#LessOverzealousMods #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

19 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Who in their right mind is gonna poach a turkey when they can be out hunting whitetail?

I think it's more like guy is on stand for deer, turkey comes by, and he decides why not.  

Plus you can't hunt deer in the spring. Guy see Tom in strut, pokes shotgun out the window... Bang

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Who in their right mind is gonna poach a turkey when they can be out hunting whitetail?

A Few Outlaws scattered in many Locales..

7 minutes ago, mowin said:

I think it's more like guy is on stand for deer, turkey comes by, and he decides why not.  

Plus you can't hunt deer in the spring. Guy see Tom in strut, pokes shotgun out the window... Bang

I think you are right.  

• Like 1