Client gave me some stuff... score....

mowin

Couple clients are selling and getting rid of some stuff. Got all of it for free.

Tiller has great compression, but definitely needs cleaning up and carb work. 

The trailer mounted tank was used to water sheep in the outer fields.  Buddy wants to get into maple syrup next yr, so I figured this will be a good gathering rig. 

Two unopened .30cal ammo cans in perfect condition. 

Also getting a Ruger 10-22.  

IMG_20200729_175648884.jpg

IMG_20200731_111803389.jpg

IMG_20200731_091928933.jpg

• Like 17

Might be corrosive primers...I'd check it out before I shot it....Some of the foreign stuff was loaded with corrosive primers well up into the 1950s...Still good stuff, but you need to be diligent about cleaning after firing..

6 hours ago, mowin said:

M1 garand is basically 06 ammo.  This is M1 garand ammo. 

Ok i thought so. He asked about the m1 carbine which is a different gun. Still takes a 30 caliber bullet but is a different cartridge all together. The M1 carbine has a detachable box magazine so the ammo wouldn’t be loaded into ”clips”. Very cool find nonetheless. Your getting a 10/22 as well? 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

1 hour ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Ok i thought so. He asked about the m1 carbine which is a different gun. Still takes a 30 caliber bullet but is a different cartridge all together. The M1 carbine has a detachable box magazine so the ammo wouldn’t be loaded into ”clips”. Very cool find nonetheless. Your getting a 10/22 as well? 

Yes, it's a older carbine. Beech stock, not in great shape. 3 mags no scope.  But it's free. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Might be corrosive primers...I'd check it out before I shot it....Some of the foreign stuff was loaded with corrosive primers well up into the 1950s...Still good stuff, but you need to be diligent about cleaning after firing..

The lot number on the can indicates it was made in 72. 

On Gun Broker, these are up to $280 and climbing. Never thought they would bring that much$$.

Edited by mowin

4 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I was curious if it had the walnut stock. Either way great guns i have four of them. 

Mine is walnut stock vintage around 1970...Got a few honorable scars, but nothing major and is essentially in as good shape as when I bought it from Nichols Discount in Painted Post.. I think I paid about 50 bucks for it...The Mermaid has a somewhat later model, beech stock but pristine...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 2

That ammo's not that "old".  Yes it's from '72, but the CMP didn't bring in that HXP ammo all that long ago, 10-15 years tops. It's good stuff and non corrosive, but it never hurts to play it safe. 

(.30 Carbine ammo would be marked "Cal .30 Carbine, Ball M1"  or a variation of that)

Edited by cas
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Mine is walnut stock vintage around 1970...Got a few honorable scars, but nothing major and is essentially in as good shape as when I bought it from Nichols Discount in Painted Post.. I think I paid about 50 bucks for it...The Mermaid has a somewhat later model, beech stock but pristine...

Ive been searching for a finger groove walnut stocked sporter for years. One day ill get me one. 

12 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I may be mistaken, but I believe that they did  load carbine ammo in ten round stripper clips to charge the  30 round mags that were often used in the selective fire M2 carbines...

13 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Im definitely no milsurp expert. When i hear clip i think enbloc clip and it said on the can 8 round. My mind went right to Garand. It would make sense to have the carbine be loaded with stripper clips for war. Very cool little rifles I wouldn’t mind having one! 

From what I understand, the bandolier and the enbloc are collectable. Hence the higher price tag. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search%3FKeywords%3DHXP&ved=2ahUKEwjc4srTxfjqAhUOGLkGHd7PBNgQFjAKegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw27koFIq7lsDXHHKt8VKiXX&cshid=1596234773022

1 hour ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Im definitely no milsurp expert. When i hear clip i think enbloc clip and it said on the can 8 round. My mind went right to Garand. It would make sense to have the carbine be loaded with stripper clips for war. Very cool little rifles I wouldn’t mind having one! 

A Navajo Indian Corporal ( had been busted several times ) was a survivor of the battle at the Chosen Reservoir . He said the carbines were not worth a crap as they didn't have the penetration of the M1 or the BAR . Corporal Yubara was a real character .