Rutcation

Chef

Come down with the flu right before Halloween and do both weeks! But if I had to choose, I’d probably do 7-15. Since I started using cams, I probably have more big buck daytime pics from the 10-15 than any other time. If you get a cold front come through with a 20* temp drop anytime after Halloween, all hell will break loose for a day and all bets are off. Then bang in with a sick day!

I’m surprised that so far the overwhelming majority is for the 2nd week. Don’t some of you feel that by that time 12-15th we are getting towards the lockdown phase ?

I will be hunting close to home about a 10 min drive so I will be out there both weeks anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m surprised that so far the overwhelming majority is for the 2nd week. Don’t some of you feel that by that time 12-15th we are getting towards the lockdown phase ?

I will be hunting close to home about a 10 min drive so I will be out there both weeks anyway

I do love hunting right close to Halloween and fear the dreaded “lock down” I also feel that different regions have different hot spots through those two weeks. Last year we zigged (up at my buddy’s place in CO county with little activity) when they zagged (hunter friends in 3S had all day chasing.

Helpful right?!?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chef said:

I would agree that is getting close to lock down. That is why I like to hunt both weeks. The first week can have bucks on the move looking for the first hot doe. But it does seem like the 7-10 can be unreal. And towards the end of the second week bucks have a way about them to show at any place and any time. It’s a tough call. I don’t have any vacation this year due to changing jobs, but I will be hunting the weather for the first 2 weeks and focusing on a major cold front when it comes through. Cough, cough....

I do love hunting right close to Halloween and fear the dreaded “lock down” I also feel that different regions have different hot spots through those two weeks. Last year we zigged (up at my buddy’s place in CO county with little activity) when they zagged (hunter friends in 3S had all day chasing.

Helpful right?!?

Oh very, so I lll load up the car and chase them all over the state. Thanks for the great advice

• Like 1

Over many decades of hunting, I've found Nov 10th to be the "magic day". With the five days before and after, to be the best time in the deer woods.

Those 11 days are when you are likely to see bucks standing out in the open. Or cruising with their noses to the ground. Or crossing a road without looking. And running after any doe they see, throwing caution to the wind.

Regardless of what moon it is, or any other environmental factors, that is the same time, year after year, that the above observations are seen.

And of course, at any time from mid October, to the middle of December, all it takes is a hot doe to cause a local flurry of rut activity. So spend as much time in the deer woods as you can.

Plan accordingly.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, Chef said:

I think the biggest bucks will only be seeking on the edges of the rut,otherwise they will always be with a doe. So many does to be had,they dont have to look far when the majority are in heat. But if there are only a few hot does around it is different. So i vote for the earlier slot. I think late October is a great time as well.

4 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

I think the biggest bucks will only be seeking on the edges of the rut,otherwise they will always be with a doe. So many does to be had,they dont have to look far when the majority are in heat. But if there are only a few hot does around it is different. So i vote for the earlier slot. I think late October is a great time as well.

I feel the best times generally to shoot the biggest bucks is the begining and end of the rut. Usually the big boys are locked down quick, but they can be moving any time

On 8/2/2020 at 12:10 PM, grampy said:

Over many decades of hunting, I've found Nov 10th to be the "magic day". With the five days before and after, to be the best time in the deer woods.

Those 11 days are when you are likely to see bucks standing out in the open. Or cruising with their noses to the ground. Or crossing a road without looking. And running after any doe they see, throwing caution to the wind.

Regardless of what moon it is, or any other environmental factors, that is the same time, year after year, that the above observations are seen.

And of course, at any time from mid October, to the middle of December, all it takes is a hot doe to cause a local flurry of rut activity. So spend as much time in the deer woods as you can.

Plan accordingly.

This.

37 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Shoot - my favorite time is 11/5-11 or so.  That doesn't help much.  lol  Then again, my biggest buck was shot in late October (29th I think) so who knows.

I've seen first hand how rut activity can be in your area. Particularly the seeking/chasing in late October. Smoking HOT !!