Rutcation

Chef

Give me the single digits of Nov .

if I could only Hunt 4 days it would be , Nov 4,5,6,7 based on 30 some years of hunting MY spot .

Nov 4th is my wedding anniversary, Ive killed a few nice bucks on that day ,many more plus/minus a day .

Take the wife out for dinner after the holidays.

• Like 3

Here's some food for thought. I heard this year for the first time how bucks have a tendency to show up in the same area at almost the exact time every year. I listened to some podcasts with the guys who own exodus cameras and they of course run a huge amount of cameras. One of them said he goes back to last years camera pics around the rut to see which area will be hot that week.

Then i heard a guy on another podcast mention that some researchers at a university found that the same doe will go into heat almost to the day every year. Another finding was that that doe passes that estrus date on to her offspring. And generally these doe families stay together and in the same area.

So now i think that the bucks have that figured out fairly quickly as well and check those areas when the time is right.

So if you guys have camera data or notes on when you saw does in heat go back to that area around the same time.

I will definetely give that a try and keep better records from now on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Give me the single digits of Nov .

if I could only Hunt 4 days it would be , Nov 4,5,6,7 based on 30 some years of hunting MY spot .

Nov 4th is my wedding anniversary, Ive killed a few nice bucks on that day ,many more plus/minus a day .

Take the wife out for dinner after the holidays.

Thanks for posting that,i think you have your spot figured out.

5 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Thanks for posting that,i think you have your spot figured out.

Agree, Oct 28, there has been a scape opened up at the same spot ,every year for years on end .

Not sure if I have much of anything figured out , or just hunt a lot those days ,so I have luck those days .

8 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Here's some food for thought. I heard this year for the first time how bucks have a tendency to show up in the same area at almost the exact time every year. I listened to some podcasts with the guys who own exodus cameras and they of course run a huge amount of cameras. One of them said he goes back to last years camera pics around the rut to see which area will be hot that week.

Then i heard a guy on another podcast mention that some researchers at a university found that the same doe will go into heat almost to the day every year. Another finding was that that doe passes that estrus date on to her offspring. And generally these doe families stay together and in the same area.

So now i think that the bucks have that figured out fairly quickly as well and check those areas when the time is right.

So if you guys have camera data or notes on when you saw does in heat go back to that area around the same time.

I will definetely give that a try and keep better records from now on.

I had a spot out in a swamp that I would never step foot in until 11/10 . Nobody else hunted it at the time(water too deep) . I shot a nice buck there every time for 6 years in a row(probably less than 10hrs of hunting) until others discovered where I was hunting and started hunting it earlier and it stopped producing. 

I swore the same doe would drag the buck by my stand every year just to get him off her back...lol.im not sure what the reason was but nov 10 is definitely my favorite.

I had a spot out in a swamp that I would never step foot in until 11/10 . Nobody else hunted it at the time(water too deep) . I shot a nice buck there every time for 6 years in a row(probably less than 10hrs of hunting) until others discovered where I was hunting and started hunting it earlier and it stopped producing. 
I swore the same doe would drag the buck by my stand every year just to get him off her back...lol.im not sure what the reason was but nov 10 is definitely my favorite.

I got a spot like that that has produced 4 years in a row now(2 for me 2 for my buddy). It always seems to heat up during Halloween week although last year I took a good one later on December 13

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1