Home Improvement

moog5050

So despite the personal stuff going on, and COVID, I decided to finish part of our basement over the last month.  We have a 3 bedroom and 2.5 bath ranch.   With 2 kids, that meant one would be evicted whenever we had guests.  We decided to add a bedroom and based on the layout, it just made sense to add a small home theater.  So in my “free” time a buddy of mine from Puerto Rick and I built it out.  He did most drywall work.  I did the rough and finish carpentry and electrical.  We both painted.   

I should have taken pre work photos but didn’t.   Bedroom is approx 20x10 and small theater of 11x15 plus stairs.  I strategically placed door in theater so that I still have a 20yd archery range.   Hopefully no bad fliers.   Still a little touch up and trim work to complete.  Carpet next.  That is being done by a pro.  

67C6DB99-EDAD-4BAF-861D-76A4AC80D5F4.jpeg

0DA11FFC-557E-4424-A69C-2EDD23B6EE31.jpeg

FA28713E-9387-479F-A648-09666C2181DD.jpeg

DD8C8CEB-F185-4A94-A19A-9F8DC13404DB.jpeg

• Like 16

Wow!!! Awesome job Brian!! Looks fantastic!

Is this where your your 'work' room was down there?

So perhaps the next time I'm in town, we could watch hunting DVDs and munch Nachos and Wings??  :imsohappy:

Edited by grampy

Ah so this is a basement I presume. So the stairs will lead first into the bedroom? And then theater room? I guess either layout you'd be shooting the Archery from the stairway entrance area into the room with only one entry/exit to prevent an unknowing passerby from getting skewered

#LessOverzealousMods #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

2 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Ah so this is a basement I presume. So the stairs will lead first into the bedroom? And then theater room? I guess either layout you'd be shooting the Archery from the stairway entrance area into the room with only one entry/exit to prevent an unknowing passerby from getting skewered

#WeDemandADislikeButton

It looks to me the stairs go into theater room, the room with the large window, would be the bedroom . Code requires an escape window or door from any finished basement , bedroom would be the logical choice for one .

• Like 1

It looks to me the stairs go into theater room, the room with the large window, would be the bedroom . Code requires an escape window or door from any finished basement , bedroom would be the logical choice for one .
Smart! I don't own my own house yet. Hopefully soon though. So currently my house knowledge consists of having more space. Multiple bedrooms, paying taxes yearly on something you already bought and own, and electric bills.

#WeDemandADislikeButton

31 minutes ago, grampy said:

Wow!!! Awesome job Brian!! Looks fantastic!

Is this where your your 'work' room was down there?

So perhaps the next time I'm in town, we could watch hunting DVDs and munch Nachos and Wings??  :imsohappy:

No - work room is other end of basement.  This is immediately at bottom of stairs where I shoot from.  Hence the door.  If you look close enough in last pic you can see the target.  Lol.   That side still needs a serious clean up now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zag said:

Looks good moogs, I’m not on here a ton lately so I’m out of the loop but I hope all is well with your wife!

Thanks Zag.  Ups and downs on that but she is feeling good the last few days and we have chemo treatment no. 3 on Thursday.  Radiation was really tough on her but she is rebounding.    She felt good enough to pick out $40/yd carpet on Sat.  I bit my lip but wanted to remind her it is a basement build that was supposed to be cost effective.   lol  I was shopping for the $15/yd stuff.  Haha.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Thanks Zag.  Ups and downs on that but she is feeling good the last few days and we have chemo treatment no. 3 on Thursday.  Radiation was really tough on her but she is rebounding.    She felt good enough to pick out $40/yd carpet on Sat.  I bit my lip but wanted to remind her it is a basement build that was supposed to be cost effective.   lol  I was shopping for the $15/yd stuff.  Haha.
Looks like your theater room just became HER theater room lol

#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Happy to hear Ana is doing ok. And we have missed you here big guy!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Looks great! And that's added square footage with those windows above grade no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Windows are above grade.   It’s a sloping lot.   Not sure if that’s official square footage.  Your wife will know.  Definitely good space.   Very dry unlike most basements.  

• Like 1

Smart! I don't own my own house yet. Hopefully soon though. So currently my house knowledge consists of having more space. Multiple bedrooms, paying taxes yearly on something you already bought and own, and electric bills.

#WeDemandADislikeButton

You should look in rockland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

You do nice work Moog!  What are you going to do with the floor?  I did my basement and did a pergo knock off, came out good.

Carpet and nice plush pad.  Trying to keep it cozy even if it started as all concrete. I like the idea of hard flooring but we have tile and hardwoods throughout house.  This area it seems a good carpet will warm things up.  

16 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Nice work Moog! Wish I was that handy!

It’s not really that hard for this basic stuff Bob.   You could do it if you wanted.   I avoided adding another bathroom as that is real work.  I added one to my last house along with a game room and wet bar.  That wAs far more complicated.  

you should see Culver’s handiwork.  He is the pro.  

• Like 1

Too much Rona. But worse it's too far from my hunting. I'd have to cross the tappan zee

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Too much Rona 3 new cases here yesterday 16 in Westchester

Too much Rona 3 new cases here yesterday 16 in Westchester

All southern in the crap areas so not too worried. More just hate the bridge and it's stupid new name. But back to the original point I may have to hire Moog when I eventually get a house. I need a theater room too

#WeDemandADislikeButton