Looking for a gunsmith

Have a buddy looking to get a scope installed on an Ithaca 16 ga deerslayer.  He lives in the Syracuse NY.  Looking for good gunsmith in the area to perform this job.  Anybody have any recommendations for a good gunsmith in the area.   Thanks in advance!!

On 11/17/2019 at 7:02 PM, wolc123 said:

2019 doe 1.jpg

It would be about a 2.5 hour drive from Syracuse, but Johnson's in Lockport is still in business.  They mounted a Weaver 1.5 X on my Ithaca 37, 16 gauge in 1983 and it has held up very well.  I used it last season on this doe in fact.   It has never needed any major adjustments, since it was mounted, and that is definitely the hardest kicking gun that I own.   This "featherlight" 16 gauge pounds the heck out of your shoulder because it is built on a 20 gauge action but packs a 12 gauge wallup.   

The scope mount, that Johnson's used, is bolted to the thick curved section on the top side of the receiver. This is a decent short range gun, but certainly no "tackdriver". It holds a 6" group at 75 yards with Remington sluggers.     

What Airedale said. It is 30.2 miles from the I-81 exit to the Verona exit. Probably 3 miles beyond this is The Gun Works of CNY on NY Route 31. About 45 minute trip. Very good, not very cheap.Call ahead. Mention that you are a NYSRPA member (if you are). They used to knock a little off.

I miss the days of driving up to Ithaca gun factory to get work done . More often than not you  could just wait there while they did the work . Unless you were getting a blue job  or new furniture. Actually  toured  both factorys. Don't have a gunsmith anymore.. they are dead or closed.

Edited by Nytracker

• 1 month later...