Does early or later

nybuckboy

What’s the thoughts on taking a doe or does early season or late?  I could have put this in deer hunting section but felt it fit better in Bow Hunting. I also realize that much may have to do with how much time you have as a hunter and access to land to hunt. 

I’ve always felt  that I can take a doe even late in gun season therefore I don’t take a doe in bow season because the doe I kill early may be the doe that brings the nice buck past my stand in the November rut.

I will take the first good size doe that comes thru.  Cause then i feel that the freezer is covered i can be picky on a buck.  Plus early season i tend to hunt the fringe areas of my spots first and field edges.  But my goal every year is for that early doe. Otherwise i have to make decisions on that 4/5 pointer coming thru. Best case scenario for me is two doe in the freezer early and last three weeks of archery to play for a big buck.  

• Like 3

If I had a choice I prefer early for maybe an odd reason.  I don't worry if that one doe gets taken early because chances are it's probably not brining a buck past me.  But if I take one late season it's probably bred and now I've taken that doe and whatever fawn it may have in the spring.  That being said if I don't have a deer taken by late season I would take a doe.   Where deer numbers are huge and I don't think it really matters.

• Like 1

I think if you have plenty of does, it doesn't matter too much. If you don't, it could possibly impact buck movement during the rut. Maybe? I don't know, I personally don't think about it that deeply. If a nice doe walks by and I feel like taking it, I'll do it. 

I always take the 1st adult doe I can the 1st week of bow . I prefer it to be a doe with twin button buck.

Now here is why

Does are the one that chase the little buck out, you kill mom and they stick around as they only know their mothers home range, the following year you will see more 1.5 year olds and if you pass on those then they become 2.5, though range may expand they will always keep their ( moms) range as part of their own . Has help boost buck numbers significantly here. 

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 4

I’ve shot a pile, of doe over the years at all times . Lately I don’t take any unless I haven’t shot a buck and the season is ending . It’s just the Mrs and I and one good sized buck is fine .

Now that I’ve started canning , and stocking up the pantry , I plan to take a doe right off the bat in bow to can , than a buck for the freezer.

Shoot a doe whenever i can. I've got enough tags and mouths to feed and see no shortage of deer where i hunt. If shes acting funky in late Oct, early Nov ill pass.  My family of four eats 5-6 deer a year. We donate a few to some families we know. Ill have 11 tags between PA NY if my wife and i both get double doe tags on high high chances. 

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1