Explosion

Swamp_bucks

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Even if it was an accident how the hell do you allow a fertilizer factory in that location??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Big ports are full of warehouses and ships containing all kinds of chemical products.

Reports of 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate. 

In a hold of a ship? Thats nothing; medium ships carry 60,000 tons of materials.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Big ports are full of warehouses and ships containing all kinds of chemical products.

In a hold of a ship? Thats nothing; medium ships carry 60,000 tons of materials.

Interesting storing that so close to the city proper .

For safety reasons many cites have laws regulating the hours fuel trucks  can drive on expressways that pass through the city ,to night time only . 

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

60,000 tons of highly explosive material though? 

I was reading that ammonium nitrate must be mixed with a huel oil of some sort to become that explosive, and that fireworks alone aren't enough to detonate and destruct what happened.. 

Idk, anything about it.. but its what I had read from skimming? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I was reading that ammonium nitrate must be mixed with a huel oil of some sort to become that explosive, and that fireworks alone aren't enough to detonate and destruct what happened.. 

Ive read something similar .

When I work on the farm in 70's you could go to the feed store and buy dynamite and blasting caps with no questions asked.  this was for clearing away stumps.  However, I never found any farmer that would buy dynamite when he had plenty of fertilizer high in ammonium nitrate and diesel fuel.  You would pack it under stump.

And oh, clearing away stumps was by far the most fun you ever had on a farm because most of the other jobs sucked.  I hated hay season with a passion.  Hottest  and longest days possible.

I also don't buy this was only ammonium nitrate.  It is commonly used as an explosive because it is fairly safe to transport alone.  It is often used to blow away rock walls when building roadways

12 hours ago, G-Man said:

Still not buying fertilizer did that , wrong color flame, wasnt mixed with fuel like you do to blow stumps.  By itself it's very stable.  Mixed to paste with flammable it is explosive.  

Very stable, hence the reason it was so close to the public and not out away from civilization a bit... 

On 8/5/2020 at 10:05 AM, LET EM GROW said:

Look up Texas City disaster ,where close to 600 died from an ammonium nitrate explosion, in a ships hold .

Heat and pressure will cause an explosion, sure dumping it in the ground to blow a stump will require fuel, oil .

Hot fire in a confined space will also do it .

Then just for giggles they stored dozens of bags of fireworks along with it .....

Also it’s a massive target for evil doers .