Hey Guys ,

For the past  number of years Been putting up ladder stands because they tend to be more secure ; downside is , they’re a pain to put up and take down unless you have help . Also , for the first time ever , I was ticketed this past offseason for keeping my stand up on public land . By law , I know you’re supposed to but had never been caught before so seems like It’s even More impractical to take up and out down a ladder stand each and every season where I hunt . So , I’m thinking of switching to a climber . I’ve never used one before . Do you like them  ? Any brands or makes you woulD recommend ? Thanks , hope everyone’s safe and well :)

5 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Hey Guys ,

For the past  number of years Been putting up ladder stands because they tend to be more secure ; downside is , they’re a pain to put up and take down unless you have help . Also , for the first time ever , I was ticketed this past offseason for keeping my stand up on public land . By law , I know you’re supposed to but had never been caught before so seems like It’s even More impractical to take up and out down a ladder stand each and every season where I hunt . So , I’m thinking of switching to a climber . I’ve never used one before . Do you like them  ? Any brands or makes you woulD recommend ? Thanks , hope everyone’s safe and well :)

I love my 3 summit vipers(aluminum). 

• Like 2

I’ve always used Summit climbers, and love them. My current is a Goliath, and I’ve been using it for years. Nothing wrong with it, so need to replace anything but the cables from time to time. Just make sure you have a good foldable hand saw to carry for small branches. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Another vote for the Summit. I thought we were allowed to leave stands out on state land, you learn something new every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I believe you are. But they need to be removed so many days after the season?

• Like 1

Theres a timber tall for sale on AT , nothing comes close as far as light weight climbers go. The cable length is adjustable once in the tree as well . Sadly the company went out of business a couple years ago so the only option is to find used ones.

I currently have a Summit Titan. It’s like a recliner 20 feet up. I’m getting older so they are getting heavier now, but I still vote Summit over all of the others, which I have not tried!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I believe you are. But they need to be removed so many days after the season?

Yup , according to the NYS Forest Ranger that ticketed me you do. I still have other stands deeper in that they didn’t find ( I guess) but technically, all stands AND TRAIL CAMS MUST be removed at the end of the season on state land : ridiculous. I have to check out these Vipers. How heavy are the aluminum ones would you say roughly ?  

Yup , according to the NYS Forest Ranger that ticketed me you do. I still have other stands deeper in that they didn’t find ( I guess) but technically, all stands AND TRAIL CAMS MUST be removed at the end of the season on state land : ridiculous. I have to check out these Vipers. How heavy are the aluminum ones would you say roughly ?  
The summits are super light. Tape em up nice and quiet and they are absolute perfection! Super comfortable for nice tree naps

#LessOverzealousMods #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 2

According to the product descriptions, the Viper SD is 20lbs and the Goliath SD is 21lbs. Mine is about 7or 8 years old, so I think it’s probably heavier. I’ve never had any issue packing it, I just have to be careful not to clang around when trekking through the woods. 

I also used the summit viper, and only my viper, for years....it’s has many drawbacks...1st, you need a straight, limbless tree...think telephone pole...they aren’t always located in the right location to get the set up for he shot you want. 2nd, you have to pack them in and out...when hiking into the woods for a mile or more, gear can get burdensome. 3rd, it always seamed like, by the time i got up the tree and finally ready to sit and wait, i was soaked with sweat...never good, especially in cold weather. 

I have tried ladder stands to avoid many of the issues above, but as you mentioned, a PITA to move in and out. I have since tried a hang on and love it. I like the ease of getting in and out, not soaked, don’t NEED a perfectly straight tree, I can get higher than my ladder and set it up/take it down/relocate solo. Now I want “at least one more” Thanks Larry Potterfield lol

Some guys here love the saddle. I have yet to try one so I cannot comment. 

Truth is they all have their pitfalls. You need to decide which is the least trouble for your location and hunting style. I may just go back to my guillie suit and knee pads #FROMTHEGROUND. Always the best option in the marsh when there is nothing but 8 foot tall shrub oak and bullrush. 

• Like 3

I hunt almost exclusively from my climber. I own 2 summit vipers, take the time to modify your setup a bit to set it up exactly as you like and you'll never look back. Use it, get comfortable, shoot deer.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Here is the way i see the tree climbing thing as far as mobile set ups go. A climber will be the easiest to learn but heaviest to carry long distance. It also has the most restrictions on what tree you can use.

A hang on and some climbing sticks will take some getting used to,at least the stick part. This setup will be a little lighter and the options for which tree to climb are greater. 

A saddle will be the lightest option but you have to figure out a climbing method,which in my opinion is the hardest part as there are so many. Depending on the climbing method you can get in just about any tree.

So i think i placed the options in the right order as far as time you have to spend to practice getting good at them. 

Climber is easiest,saddle is hardest in up front time and probably money invested. 

As @squirrelwhisperer said,you have to decide what fits your hunting style best.

• Like 1

This always come down to summit or lone wolf .

I used LW . Now all ladders and one hang on a , LW .

I traded my LW climber for some plumbing work, my LW hang on and sticks can get me up in under 10 minutes if I needed to be mobile ,which I generally don’t .

The LW climber was so simple ,light ,slim and dead quiet . 

Edited by Nomad

8 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Here is the way i see the tree climbing thing as far as mobile set ups go. A climber will be the easiest to learn but heaviest to carry long distance. It also has the most restrictions on what tree you can use.

A hang on and some climbing sticks will take some getting used to,at least the stick part. This setup will be a little lighter and the options for which tree to climb are greater. 

A saddle will be the lightest option but you have to figure out a climbing method,which in my opinion is the hardest part as there are so many. Depending on the climbing method you can get in just about any tree.

So i think i placed the options in the right order as far as time you have to spend to practice getting good at them. 

Climber is easiest,saddle is hardest in up front time and probably money invested. 

As @squirrelwhisperer said,you have to decide what fits your hunting style best.

Oh ok , so What’s a Saddle stand ? Not familiar with that 

I have the summit titan and love it. I guess it's a little heavy but I got the front and side bags for it so I don't have to bring a backpack with it. Once your set up it's about the most comfortable stand I ever sat in. highly recommend third hand tree stand stabilizer straps, makes everything rock solid. also the Sherpa game cart accessory turns your climber into a deer cart when you shoot one.

https://www.amazon.com/Third-Hand-Climbing-Stands-Stabilizer/dp/B00VR18IVY/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=climbing+tree+stand+straps&qid=1596625555&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Sherpa-Summit-Hunting-Game-Carts/dp/B00NLM8Q9Q

Oh ok , so What’s a Saddle stand ? Not familiar with that 

It’s an alluring piece of hunting equipment encouraged by fanatical cult cool guys who want to be extra cool and hunt from a hammock suspended in a tree after constructing rope bridges and pully systems! I kid of course (sort of)

I like and hunt mostly from the Summit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It’s an alluring piece of hunting equipment encouraged by fanatical cult cool guys who want to be extra cool and hunt from a hammock suspended in a tree after constructing rope bridges and pully systems! I kid of course (sort of)

I like and hunt mostly from the Summit.

Just like doing CrossFit, being a runner, or having read the Game of Thrones books, you are required by law to disclose that you hunt from a saddle before the five minute mark of any conversation with a person you've just met

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have a Summit Viper, but haven't used it in years, and should probably just sell it. It is very comfortable and easy to use. But kinda heavy, and like others have said, you need a straight tree.

For the last ten years or so, 95% of my hunting is done from the ground. Using whatever is lying on the ground to make a blind, or using natural cover. And even hub blinds. Can do this in hardwoods, swamps, oak ridges, field edges, or just about anywhere. To me it is all about hunting eye to eye with the deer, and nothing is more exciting as seeing one come in to you. Also, no stand to carry in. And you can be very mobile, very quickly if needed. 

Best of luck with whatever set up you choose.