It is not even up for debate........   Setting up a lockon before season and hunting them walking freely in the woods and getting up a ladder in 5 seconds than fumbling around with a climber at the bottom of a tree then all the bullshit that comes along with crooked trees, or hangups that a climber cause if the tree is not perfect and the fking sweating balls or the fking freezing my hands off in zero degree weather setting up that co--sucker.
If I shoot a deer I drag it out of the woods without a climber on my back and I take it to the butcher and the next morning I walk to my stand and go hunting again. You literally make zero sense...........  

One day I will be as good as you and pick the perfect tree weeks prior to the season and never need to adjust my location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, crappyice said:

One day I will be as good as you and pick the perfect tree weeks prior to the season and never need to adjust my location.

Na Im good....  no need to adjust...  i literally have 20-30 lockons out and a few groundblinds...... 

14 hours ago, cbyzerman said:

It is not even up for debate........   Setting up a lockon before season and hunting them walking freely in the woods and getting up a ladder in 5 seconds than fumbling around with a climber at the bottom of a tree then all the bullshit that comes along with crooked trees, or hangups that a climber cause if the tree is not perfect and the fking sweating balls or the fking freezing my hands off in zero degree weather setting up that co--sucker.

If I shoot a deer I drag it out of the woods without a climber on my back and I take it to the butcher and the next morning I walk to my stand and go hunting again. You literally make zero sense...........  

That fact you struggle using a climber is mind boggling ,its onenof the simplest ways to get up a tree.

• Like 3

Na Im good....  no need to adjust...  i literally have 20-30 lockons out and a few groundblinds...... 

Haha- Makes sense...you have 20 - 30 stands set (40 - 60 trips with an extension ladder)plus ground blinds. All of them perfectly positioned!I have one climber that gets me anywhere day after day that allows me to adjust day to day. All good!

As primarily a bow hunter, the difference in one tree to another 10’ away can be a game changer - I love the flexibility, comfort and secure feeling of being in a climber.

• Like 1

I used to use hang ons and liked them ok but They never felt as secure as a ladder stand . I’m not a big believer in the straps provided ; always supplemented my rig- up with a chain for extra security 

That’s one of my favorite features of the climber. Once I “board” the climber I am inside the pipes the entire time. I still wear safer harness of course but just feel more secure.

I have hunted from lock-ons and hate stepping off from pegs or ladders on to a platform that has been hanging in the elements for months/years(wasn’t my property so the upkeep was out of my hands). They “always” shift or settle and that moment strikes panic-never could get comfortable even though I see how they offer some ease of use once set up

1 hour ago, Northcountryman said:

I used to use hang ons and liked them ok but They never felt as secure as a ladder stand . I’m not a big believer in the straps provided ; always supplemented my rig- up with a chain for extra security 

The only issue I ever had was having the bottom drop out on me while I was climbing. The knot on my rope didn't hold, and the base fell about 10 feet. It was an uncomfortable shimmy to get back down to it :)

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

That’s one of my favorite features of the climber. Once I “board” the climber I am inside the pipes the entire time. I still wear safer harness of course but just feel more secure.

I have hunted from lock-ons and hate stepping off from pegs or ladders on to a platform that has been hanging in the elements for months/years(wasn’t my property so the upkeep was out of my hands). They “always” shift or settle and that moment strikes panic-never could get comfortable even though I see how they offer some ease of use once set up

Agreed, its the safest I feel in a tree

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I've had several brands, all are well worth the minimal effort to get back to a spot and into a tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

is yours noisy to setup?  I was on a piece of land onetime on the ground, guy came thru and never saw me and started going up a tree with a climber like 25 yards away.  I waved to him so he knew i was there and he came down tree and left.  I left too cause he might as well been banging a pot with a spoon it made so much noise. 

is yours noisy to setup?  I was on a piece of land onetime on the ground, guy came thru and never saw me and started going up a tree with a climber like 25 yards away.  I waved to him so he knew i was there and he came down tree and left.  I left too cause he might as well been banging a pot with a spoon it made so much noise. 

It doesn’t have to be. Is there some “clanging” when disassembling/reassembling around the tree...some. Can it be minimal with practice-yup. Once you start climbing there should be no noise- removing the cables and restocking the two parts for transport is when there is most (but not a lot) of noise

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Its definitely noisier than the LW at initial setup but much easier to get up the tree and much more comfortable

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Big Mistake Leaving !   I only say that because of one experience I had.   I'm not sure if you know what a Loggy Bayou stand is. I was climbing a tree before legal light with this stand. The climbing aid on these stands can have a little metal clunk while climbing. I just got to the height I wanted to be at .With my TC White Mountain Carbine slung over my shoulder and my foot stretched back lifting the seat up, I hear something come running in. I looked down and there is a big rack 8 point looking around wondering where the other buck is . Between the stand rubbing on the bark, and the soft metal noises made by the climbing aid , this buck thought I was another buck invading his territory. So here I am holding the tree  standing on one foot with one foot stretched out holding the seat thats half way up.. He stood there for at least a minute staring in every direction. He walked off stiff legged looking around for the other buck before I could slide my gun off my shoulder. 

I have never been able to call a buck in rattling with horns , but I call one in with my tree stand !  LOL

• Like 3

Once your efficient at it the noise is negligible. I hunt within 30 yds of a 3 acre thick bedding area and routinely hunt the downwind side of it. I have had deer come in before I even brought my bow up, as I've had deer come in while I'm halfway back down the tree and they were none the wiser. If you only hunt out of it a few times a season you're going to be loud. Once you use it enough and get a system down it is very quiet and fast. And I generally always have a tree picked out from previous scouting trips, I'll put a reflective tack in the tree so I can find it pre light. Are permanent stands easier? Sometimes. Would I give up all of my permanent stands and only keep a climber if need be, absolutely. I've killed 90% (roughly 50) of my deer from the same summit viper. Another benefit for me is that I can hunt at 25-30' regularly. I've been close to 40' at times during rifle season, I've got a few big stateland brushlots that you can't see 10' into but if you get up high enough you can see pretty much every deer in there and find openings to shoot them.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I like my summit goliath and would use it if hunting out of state or new land. But my home turf has plenty of stands, to the point that I (and several others) can hunt without over pressuring and still cover pretty much everywhere I want.  If I see movement that makes me want to move, I just add another ladder.  I guess I am lazy.

• Like 3

I have an API Grand Slam aluminum. Not sure if they make them anymore. Comfy, stable & roomy, but about 5 pounds heavier than a Summit. If I buy another climber, it will be a Summit.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I had that one too and liked it a lot, shouldn't have sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 hours ago, crappyice said:

Haha- Makes sense...you have 20 - 30 stands set (40 - 60 trips with an extension ladder)plus ground blinds. All of them perfectly positioned!I have one climber that gets me anywhere day after day that allows me to adjust day to day. All good!

As primarily a bow hunter, the difference in one tree to another 10’ away can be a game changer - I love the flexibility, comfort and secure feeling of being in a climber.

If the difference between 10’ is a game changer do you cut all the limbs away to get your climber up? 

Or do you un-hook And climb up to get around limbs?