I'd be leery of grinding on a new stand..........ANYTHING fails on it and you're left whistling Dixie.

Agree and I also wonder how much bite you really want. Some of my more frustrating and dangerous descents have come on very soft barked trees where the teeth bit so hard that I struggle to get them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, crappyice said:

I never saw those before and like them but not sure they are necessary. I always take one of my “backpack” straps and tether the two pieces together at the base of the tree. When I get to where I want to be I’m a tree I lock in the top portion to the tree with a strap to avoid the top part falling accidentally.

The third hand straps are nice because you can lock the 2 sections together really tight for transport ,then once in the tree they really make the top and bottom sections very sturdy.

• Like 1

The third hand straps are nice because you can lock the 2 sections together really tight for transport ,then once in the tree they really make the top and bottom sections very sturdy.

And it's instant, they are your tether for the two sections while you climb then at height you simply pull them taut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 9/3/2020 at 8:48 AM, The Jerkman said:

Well for the midday lull it's nice to take a quick nap.

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

I did that, ONCE...I must have been snoring because when i woke up, there were two doe at 10 yards staring at me with their heads titled to one side. :pardon:

• Like 1

I tried the Summit mini Viper in a tree today. It is a keeper - light and sturdy. The narrow yolk, made the blunt teeth bite, so no need to break out the grinder. I am not a fan of the seat, but if I had to I could live with it. The seat sits low, relative to the top platform, it isn't particularly comfortable, and its bulk gets in the way considering the smaller dimensions of the mini. I will order the hazmore and see if I like it better.

The stabilizer straps work well. For my short frame, the straps are at least 2 feet longer than I will ever need.

I prefer my API, but due to its weight it is being semi-retired.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I tried the Summit mini Viper in a tree today. It is a keeper - light and sturdy. The narrow yolk, made the blunt teeth bite, so no need to break out the grinder. I am not a fan of the seat, but if I had to I could live with it. The seat sits low, relative to the top platform, it isn't particularly comfortable, and its bulk gets in the way considering the smaller dimensions of the mini. I will order the hazmore and see if I like it better.

The stabilizer straps work well. For my short frame, the straps are at least 2 feet longer than I will ever need.

I prefer my API, but due to its weight it is being semi-retired.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Check out the hazmore seat, the stock seat is for living rooms not woods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 8:57 PM, squirrelwhisperer said:

I also used the summit viper, and only my viper, for years....it’s has many drawbacks...1st, you need a straight, limbless tree...think telephone pole...they aren’t always located in the right location to get the set up for he shot you want. 2nd, you have to pack them in and out...when hiking into the woods for a mile or more, gear can get burdensome. 3rd, it always seamed like, by the time i got up the tree and finally ready to sit and wait, i was soaked with sweat...never good, especially in cold weather. 

I have tried ladder stands to avoid many of the issues above, but as you mentioned, a PITA to move in and out. I have since tried a hang on and love it. I like the ease of getting in and out, not soaked, don’t NEED a perfectly straight tree, I can get higher than my ladder and set it up/take it down/relocate solo. Now I want “at least one more” Thanks Larry Potterfield lol

Some guys here love the saddle. I have yet to try one so I cannot comment. 

Truth is they all have their pitfalls. You need to decide which is the least trouble for your location and hunting style. I may just go back to my guillie suit and knee pads #FROMTHEGROUND. Always the best option in the marsh when there is nothing but 8 foot tall shrub oak and bullrush. 

You mentioned you like the hang on  one and find them as easy and maneuverable as climbers ; do you feel safe in it? I’m not crazy about the straps on those things but it was yrs ago last time I tried one . Also , aren’t they a PITA also to hang solo? I’m sure they’re not as bad as ladders but still tough to deal with, and noisy too when hanging , right ? 

Edited by Northcountryman

So I’m thinking of going with the Summit Viper for this year . Summits have the highest rating overall as compared to other brands and , after reading numerous customer reviews , Appears they’re very highly regarded . 
Love my summit! Both@crappyice and@The_Real_TCIII have the same one as me and recommended it. Best hunting stand purchase I've made in a long time. It's superb!

#WeDemandADislikeButton

59 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Love my summit! Both@crappyice and@The_Real_TCIII have the same one as me and recommended it. Best hunting stand purchase I've made in a long time. It's superb!

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Agreed. Love my Summit, as far as climbers go. 

Edited by squirrelwhisperer

7 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

You mentioned you like the hang on  one and find them as easy and maneuverable as climbers ; do you feel safe in it? I’m not crazy about the straps on those things but it was yrs ago last time I tried one . Also , aren’t they a PITA also to hang solo? I’m sure they’re not as bad as ladders but still tough to deal with, and noisy too when hanging , right ? 

I feel safe because I am tethered to the tree, not because of a given stand. I use the strap that comes with it to hang it initially, but add a ratchet strap to secure it better. Hanging solo isn’t that bad. I use a lineman’s strap with my harness and set the sticks/ladder first. Then i hoist up the stand with a haul line. As mentioned, i use the strap that comes with it to get it into the tree, then add the ratchet strap. Finally, I put the safety line up high enough, after I climb onto the stand and then tie it to the bottom of the tree so it stays in place when i slide the prussic up. I am connected to the tree from the time I leave the ground until I get back down to the ground (at least with my hang on, this will change after reading about @Chef’s ladder accident)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Agreed. Love my Summit, as far as climbers go. 

1 hour ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I feel safe because I am tethered to the tree, not because of a given stand. I use the strap that comes with it to hang it initially, but add a ratchet strap to secure it better. Hanging solo isn’t that bad. I use a lineman’s strap with my harness and set the sticks/ladder first. Then i hoist up the stand with a haul line. As mentioned, i use the strap that comes with it to get it into the tree, then add the ratchet strap. Finally, I put the safety line up high enough, after I climb onto the stand and then tie it to the bottom of the tree so it stays in place when i slide the prussic up. I am connected to the tree from the time I leave the ground until I get back down to the ground (at least with my hang on, this will change after reading about @Chef’s ladder accident)

Cool Thanks guys  

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

So I just started messin around w/ my new Summit Viper Climber ;  got it all put together, received a quick climbing  lesson from a guy in my club, but, I just realized a potential problem: how do you carry your rifle (or, bow, for that matter if bow hunting) when humping in your treestand? I saw that he doesnt use a backpack due to the climber on his back, so , goes in  light but I never asked him  that!! Do you have to just walk in carrying your rifle in one hand,  or, maybe at port arms all the time? Seems like you cant use the sling while packing it in, correct?

I’m a Fanny pack climber guy myself but when I did use a backpack I would put the shoulder strap around the metal V that grips the tree. I reverse mine so the V is up after having my heels and ankles but too many times taking big steps over logs when the V was down. I too just carry my bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Hey Guys,

So I just started messin around w/ my new Summit Viper Climber ;  got it all put together, received a quick climbing  lesson from a guy in my club, but, I just realized a potential problem: how do you carry your rifle (or, bow, for that matter if bow hunting) when humping in your treestand? I saw that he doesnt use a backpack due to the climber on his back, so , goes in  light but I never asked him  that!! Do you have to just walk in carrying your rifle in one hand,  or, maybe at port arms all the time? Seems like you cant use the sling while packing it in, correct?

As far as a pack goes, I've done a couple things; strap the pack right to the frame of the stand and hoist it up on your shoulders.  Or, I carry three bags on the stand that are somewhat permanent, two on the side bars and one on the front.  I just stuff them with what I'll need for a sit.

Better yet, stuff your pockets and hunt for a few hours.