Would you pass on this one?

TEAZER

I'd pass at this point in my career. I've passed on several just like that and larger in the past few years. Anything with a scrubby track is on my hit list though. I tell the new folks to shoot the first deer they see that's legal, but for me it's wait for a bruiser or a decent doe. My decent doe, this year, turned out to be a big button buck.

I'd pass at this point in my career. I've passed on several just like that and larger in the past few years. Anything with a scrubby track is on my hit list though. I tell the new folks to shoot the first deer they see that's legal, but for me it's wait for a bruiser or a decent doe. My decent doe, this year, turned out to be a big button buck.

There is no such thing as a huge button buck..lol.. just sayin'

i would have taken him too. The owners of my neighboring property shoot anything that moves too so I have learned to take anything that looks descent. Its sad but its better than not getting anything at all.

For some it's better than nothing at all.. I would settle for nothing rather than settle for a deer I don't want. I would prefer filling my dmps and eat my buck tag rather than shoot any buck just because my neighbors are killing everything. Do you ever stop and think that they are saying the same thing about you because you are doing about the same thing as them. Neither of you are using restraint, yet they can't help themselves.. you are making your choice based on them.

Taking the legal deer you want to take is your choice... what I don't understand is that lots of you find the need to justify the deer that you take.. especially when it comes to smaller bucks.. don't apologize for taking a legal deer... and stop saying that you'd like it to be different when you know thats not true.... killing smaller bucks because your neighbor is only gonna kill'em if you don't is probably the most common justification for doing something you claim you didn't want to do... there is nothing wrong with killing a legal buck and no reason to have to justify it to anyone. If you are feeling the need to justify it, maybe thats not the buck you should be taking... or maybe you should just forget the apologizing and tell it like it is.. "I killed the buck I wanted to kill".... that is nothing to be ashamed of...

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 2

For some it's better than nothing at all.. I would settle for nothing rather than settle for a deer I don't want. I would prefer filling my dmps and eat my buck tag rather than shoot any buck just because my neighbors are killing everything. Do you ever stop and think that they are saying the same thing about you because you are doing about the same thing as them. Neither of you are using restraint, yet they can't help themselves.. you are making your choice based on them.

Great point NY.

If the truth is known the guys that shoot the little bucks shoot them on their wives,kids,family or friends tag,s. Most are not stealthy enough to hold out and take a mature buck. Some have time restraints on hunting time. Most would not drop the hammer so fast if they had to use their own buck tag. I wish there was a way to stop that crap because i know and you know it happens all the time.That crap of mt neighbors shoot everything is bull also. Fact is if you kill that baby buck now he has no chance but if you let him walk atleast he has a 50/50 chance to make it next year. Yearlings are the easiest deer in the woods to kill.Period!!!

Taking the legal deer you want to take is your choice... what I don't understand is that lots of you find the need to justify the deer that you take.. especially when it comes to smaller bucks.. don't apologize for taking a legal deer... and stop saying that you'd like it to be different when you know thats not true.... killing smaller bucks because your neighbor is only gonna kill'em if you don't is probably the most common justification for doing something you claim you didn't want to do... there is nothing wrong with killing a legal buck and no reason to have to justify it to anyone. If you are feeling the need to justify it, maybe thats not the buck you should be taking... or maybe you should just forget the apologizing and tell it like it is.. "I killed the buck I wanted to kill".... that is nothing to be ashamed of...

I have to agree with just about all of this, just look at how many threads there are of guys needing to know what it would score and if the rest of us would take him. Why does any of that matter?

This on the other hand sounds like a load of Bull....full of assumpstions and even some fuzzy math.

If the truth is known the guys that shoot the little bucks shoot them on their wives,kids,family or friends tag,s. Most are not stealthy enough to hold out and take a mature buck. Some have time restraints on hunting time. Most would not drop the hammer so fast if they had to use their own buck tag. I wish there was a way to stop that crap because i know and you know it happens all the time.That crap of mt neighbors shoot everything is bull also. Fact is if you kill that baby buck now he has no chance but if you let him walk atleast he has a 50/50 chance to make it next year. Yearlings are the easiest deer in the woods to kill.Period!!!

I witnessed this kind of crap this past weekend. I think the DEC may get a phone call. I don't know why people think it is ok to tag bucks with someone else's tag. And they are multiple little bucks too!

There is no such thing as a huge button buck..lol.. just sayin'

I know. I looked at that deer for over 10 minutes before I decided it was a medium sized doe, which is my favorite size for filling a DMP. His face didn't have that pudgy look and I couldn't see his nubs even through the 2x scope on my pistol. I'm going to cut some stakes and set them up so I can measure a deer when it comes by me. Maybe some paint on the trees around my stand.

I know. I looked at that deer for over 10 minutes before I decided it was a medium sized doe, which is my favorite size for filling a DMP. His face didn't have that pudgy look and I couldn't see his nubs even through the 2x scope on my pistol. I'm going to cut some stakes and set them up so I can measure a deer when it comes by me. Maybe some paint on the trees around my stand.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with shooting it... the statement is very clear... you don't have to justify the kill to me or anyone else for that matter...

I have to agree with just about all of this, just look at how many threads there are of guys needing to know what it would score and if the rest of us would take him. Why does any of that matter?

This on the other hand sounds like a load of Bull....full of assumpstions and even some fuzzy math.

It matters because some guys like that kinda stuff... it may not matter to you.. but it does to others...thats why we have a forum to discuss things with hunters that have similar likes and dislikes... some of you get bent out of shape about threads you don't like.. yet you continue to post on them... and Four Season is right on the money with the 50/50 chance thing... I don't see any assumption or fuzzy math in his post...

I hate to hear "If I didnt shoot him someone else would" i have no problem with anyone shooting any size buck. the trophy is in the eye of the hunter. I would of let him walk I have let bigger ones than him walk. The problem i see with that statement is that the more people that think that the more small bucks get shot. It might not get shot by someone else. Your not giving it the opportunity to become big. If you are in an area where sightings of deer are scarce then by all means take it. If you have the opportunity to let deer walk to let it grow then I feel you should, but thats if you have shot a good amount of smaller bucks. The way I see it is pass on the small guys and shoot a doe. That is easier for me to say though because I am in 3m and we get a ton of tags where as some only get 1 buck tag and no DMP's.

It matters because some guys like that kinda stuff... it may not matter to you.. but it does to others...thats why we have a forum to discuss things with hunters that have similar likes and dislikes... some of you get bent out of shape about threads you don't like.. yet you continue to post on them... and Four Season is right on the money with the 50/50 chance thing... I don't see any assumption or fuzzy math in his post...

Right it doesnt matter to me but why the need to justify everything with some guys on the internet is what I'm reffering to. Its like guys want permission to go out and enjoy a hunt nowadays for some reason, like they won't fit in if they kill a buck that isn't "nice". It really is a bizarre thing to me on this forum. And I don't get where you think I get bent out of shape on here ever, nothing on here really bothers me ever, not even your condescending tone that comes out in many of your post's.

As far as my statement on the fuzzy math, it sure does seem like he pulled 50/50 out of his butt. Is that a real number from some kind of a study? No its a made up statement made by a hunter. Opinions turn into facts alot, like "If the truth is known the guys that shoot the little bucks shoot them on their wives,kids,family or friends tag Most are not stealthy enough to hold out and take a mature buck" uh huh cause you can come up with a bunch of examples of guys that do that and have called the DEC on them to put a stop to it. Most guys have a hard enough time killing a buck let alone several. lol

50/50 means just what it says it does.. I really hope you don't need me to explain that to you...and I wasn't necessarily refering to you as getting bent out of shape... I was talking about those that do... and I think that the reason some guys ask about scores and take or not take is because maybe they are considering shooting bigger bucks only and are looking for guidance as to what might or might not be considered big to other hunters... If a hunter is worrying about "fitting in".. their problem is much worse than the type of bucks they are shooting... the day I start caring about what others think about how or why I hunt is the day I should quit hunting... it's not all that important in the scheme of life...

for guidance as to what might or might not be considered big to other hunters... If a hunter is worrying about "fitting in".. their problem is much worse than the type of bucks they are shooting... the day I start caring about what others think about how or why I hunt is the day I should quit hunting... it's not all that important in the scheme of life...

So we kind of agree! haha

I have noticed that some guys monsters are another guys scrub, to put it simply ofcourse.

You know as different as you and I are we really share some of the same ideas concerning hunting, that scares me. lol

So we kind of agree! haha

I have noticed that some guys monsters are another guys scrub, to put it simply ofcourse.

You know as different as you and I are we really share some of the same ideas concerning hunting, that scares me. lol

Oh it must be the season of miracles.. Doewacker and NYantler standing shoulder to shoulder on common ground.. LOL
  • Like 1

Doewacker can you really come on here and say that you yourself have never filled a tag that was not yours or that you know of not one person that has done that??????? I highly doubt it. That crap happens all the time. I have done it before and i know of some that have done it this year. Is it my place to call them out?? No sir.. Those are the same guys that say there are no big ones around but they have shot 3 yearlings this year. You really cant do any better math than 50/50 if you shoot that baby today he is dead if you let him walk atleast he has half a chance to make it through the year. Thats why i am all for antler restricts and cant wait untill its statewide. Then those same jacka$$ cant shoot the baby bucks all year long. Like i said alot of hunters are not stealthy enough to take a mature buck even if they were numbered high in their neck of the woods. Like antler said..guys would rather shoot a 4in spike than have to say they got no buck this year. Someday ny state will get it right and make shorter seasons,antler restrictions, and less tags and when they do i bet i could name a few guys on this site besides myself that will still have no problem putting one on the ground. Others will have to adjust!!!

The AR thing is such a hard topic to talk about. I'm for it because of what I have seen happen in our area in 3H and 3J. On that same note I'd never bash another person for taking any deer, be it a spike or one of those 16 point freaks. As some have pointed out, the problem those that complain there are no or lack of larger bucks are / CAN be the sames guys that take the yearling / 1.5 off the table as well. If you let them go, they grow. They are not running off into never never land. They are still going to be around next year, bigger, stronger, perhaps a bit smarter, and some more meat to boot. AR's may not bring in that beast, but it will result in some bigger deer. I do not want to speak for other people's area's, because I don't know how things are there. Just ask any meat processor in 3H or Taxidermist, and the results speak for themselves. I have not been fortunate enough to bag a buck this year or last, but some of the guys on the Trailcamera just did not exist a few years back. And its sure is fun knowing those bucks are out there somewhere now.

I would have to pass and hope someone else shoots him and ties up there tag. Where I hunt there are a ton of hunters and all sorts of shooting all the time and yet I have no problem seeing big bucks.I passed on about 12 smaller bucks including a 2.5 7 point at 10 yrds with a decent rack, which has not been shot so far this yr. So the old saying well someone else is just going to shoot him doesnt fly with me. If you want to shoot him shoot him just dont complain about not shooting bigger bucks. They dont get bigger if they are dead.

Doewacker can you really come on here and say that you yourself have never filled a tag that was not yours or that you know of not one person that has done that??????? I highly doubt it.

Um yea I can say that because that would be illegal, atleast you admit to breaking the law.

"You really cant do any better math than 50/50 if you shoot that baby today he is dead if you let him walk atleast he has half a chance to make it through the year"

So you want to stand by your statement that the surrvival rate of a 1.5yr old buck is 50%? You might want to check into that stat..lol Admitingly the chance for surrvival is 0 if one gets killed but, there are far more ways for a deer to get killed outside of hunting.

Here is a link to an interesting read, not based in NY but interesting none the less..

http://www.whitetaildomains.com/Articles/ShowArticle.aspx/184/Death+in+the+Brush+Country

I witnessed this kind of crap this past weekend. I think the DEC may get a phone call. I don't know why people think it is ok to tag bucks with someone else's tag. And they are multiple little bucks too!

Sam,

You can start a whole other thread on this subject. I can't believe how many stories I heard about using or claiming to use someone else's tag.

So many ways around the system, when people do that I call it killing not hunting.

• Like 1