Camp Stove

Delete

Last week the Ballston Spa Auction House has their first Sportsman Auction since March. I went in and left a few bids, one being for this old Coleman camp stove, without knowing much about it. I ended up winning it, and after a little research, I’ve learned that this particular model was made between 1947-1949, this one probably being ‘47 with the badge. 

I fired it up tonight and made a cup of coffee with my old Comet percolator. The thing ran like new. It’s just so cool to me to see old stuff like this doing the job it was built to do. 

24A30B12-54FF-4868-AB52-BDAB64D6A2FD.jpeg

14957F85-07C4-4012-BBD6-BA43C68A1548.jpeg

D557C4DC-4425-464F-845F-4E210E8D2C94.jpeg

5F9C2B51-781F-4CC8-8E1F-F6CB6007B655.jpeg

• Like 5

I have a similar one but much newer. Probably the late 90's . Mine uses those disposable screw in propane tanks.

The cylinder in front must be your fuel tank. Whats in it ? 

My son and his buddies would use it for tailgating at the Patriots games

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SportsmanNH said:

I have a similar one but much newer. Probably the late 90's . Mine uses those disposable screw in propane tanks.

The cylinder in front must be your fuel tank. Whats in it ? 

My son and his buddies would use it for tailgating at the Patriots games

White gas (camp fuel). I should be able to use regular unleaded, though I would imagine it doesn’t burn as clean, that’s just a guess though. 

1 minute ago, Revenant said:

White gas (camp fuel). I should be able to use regular unleaded, though I would imagine it doesn’t burn as clean, that’s just a guess though. 

I WOULD NOT put regular gas in that thing. The lantern and stove fuel burns very slow . Regular gas goes BOOM ! Not to mention the gas would give off toxic fumes. 

2 minutes ago, SportsmanNH said:

I WOULD NOT put regular gas in that thing. The lantern and stove fuel burns very slow . Regular gas goes BOOM ! Not to mention the gas would give off toxic fumes. 

Everything I’ve read is that unleaded works fine, but may gum up the line eventually. I’ll stick with white gas though no more than I’ll be using it. I’ll eventually win an old lantern at the auction as well. 

Whoaaa...that is a beautiful stove! I also would strongly advise to stick with white gas/ coleman fuel. It is pretty cheap at Wally World, and you wont run as much a risk of gumming your generator. My guess is that replacing it will be costly and difficult (to find). 

Two weeks ago I found a brand new in the box Coleman Two Burner dual fuel stove...for five dollars!!!! I didnt dicker on the price!

• Like 2

Whoaaa...that is a beautiful stove! I also would strongly advise to stick with white gas/ coleman fuel. It is pretty cheap at Wally World, and you wont run as much a risk of gumming your generator. My guess is that replacing it will be costly and difficult (to find). 
Two weeks ago I found a brand new in the box Coleman Two Burner dual fuel stove...for five dollars!!!! I didnt dicker on the price!

I got an old "new in box" one on letgo last year I think for $20 and I was happy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19 hours ago, Revenant said:

Last week the Ballston Spa Auction House has their first Sportsman Auction since March. I went in and left a few bids, one being for this old Coleman camp stove, without knowing much about it. I ended up winning it, and after a little research, I’ve learned that this particular model was made between 1947-1949, this one probably being ‘47 with the badge. 

I fired it up tonight and made a cup of coffee with my old Comet percolator. The thing ran like new. It’s just so cool to me to see old stuff like this doing the job it was built to do. 

24A30B12-54FF-4868-AB52-BDAB64D6A2FD.jpeg

14957F85-07C4-4012-BBD6-BA43C68A1548.jpeg

D557C4DC-4425-464F-845F-4E210E8D2C94.jpeg

5F9C2B51-781F-4CC8-8E1F-F6CB6007B655.jpeg

They just don't make em like this anymore. Absolutely cool old stove!

I remember my grampy cooking up breakfast and dinner on one of these, up at camp when I was a pup.  This model even predates me by ten years....lol

Hope you get many years of use, and memories out of it.

Oh......nothing beats the smell of the white colman gas. I would stick to that.

Better than their old stoves are their old lanterns.  They are engraved with sun and also have a saying.  “Sunshine of the night”. Got one at camp.  

Definitely white gas.  Normal gas will gum up generator.  Generators were the consumable. Later models were redesigned so they could run on regular gasoline 

Edited by hueyjazz