Ruger SuperBlackhawk

ny hunter

Don't forget experience.. most of the sbh have what is referred  to as plow handle . Some have a bisley grip . Most of the 44 mags have a plow handle with a squared off trigger guard . That trigger guard has ground more meat off fingers than a lem meat grinder. 20200802_120548_001.thumb.jpg.282b85669a6f0ff1066ff434887e0b70.jpg

this is a bisley sbh in 45lc. Note the rounded  trigger guard .20200807_140903.thumb.jpg.a2360d1beb1c2e2f1dabc27c87360bf6.jpg

This one is a sbh 44 mag. Note it has the squared off trigger guard.  Until recently sbh were only made on the plowhandle grip frame with the cheese grader trigger guard . Dont confuse a standard black hawk with a  standard  sbh then there's the sbh hunter.IMG_20130320_060123-1.jpg.fea0830fd0af68c0553c3fcdda752fed.jpg

I almost quit revolvers back when I started handguns because of the cheese grader.

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

Don't forget experience.. most of the sbh have what is referred  to as plow handle . Some have a bisley grip . Most of the 44 mags have a plow handle with a squared off trigger guard . That trigger guard has ground more meat off fingers than a lem meat grinder. 20200802_120548_001.thumb.jpg.282b85669a6f0ff1066ff434887e0b70.jpg

this is a bisley sbh in 45lc. Note the rounded  trigger guard .20200807_140903.thumb.jpg.a2360d1beb1c2e2f1dabc27c87360bf6.jpg

This one is a sbh 44 mag. Note it has the squared off trigger guard.  Until recently sbh were only made on the plowhandle grip frame with the cheese grader trigger guard . Dont confuse a standard black hawk with a  standard  sbh then there's the sbh hunter.IMG_20130320_060123-1.jpg.fea0830fd0af68c0553c3fcdda752fed.jpg

I almost quit revolvers back when I started handguns because of the cheese grader.

I couldn’t have said it better.. I have large hands and when I handled a SBH that flat trigger guard was right into my finger, I knew right then nope. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

.44 mag. Bought a Kenai chest rig I love. Shot a lot at 50 yards over the years shooting iron sights. It’s a cupcake in recoil as pushes instead of flips like my plastic handguns. Killed a deer with daughter sitting next to me at 63 yards first year. Bang drop with right load. Born in 1978 she is 403463c069c5edde35dfb5211cd43ef4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Revenant said:

My uncle used to hunt with a Super Red Hawk in .44mag. Nice gun, and he killed many deer with it. I always preferred my S&W 29 in 44mag though.

The Smith M29  is the Cadillac  of all .44 mag revolvers....

• Like 2

I have shot a  few smiths ... I personally  don't like the grips  they are  known for their fit and finish and the few I have shot were  fun .  That said ... op asked about  the sbh.... single action .  Rugers are built rugged you can shoot them from popcorn fart loads to fire breathing .. t rex crushing loads . There are  special sections in reloading manuals  called ruger only loads ....

I have a super redhawk  that I will be buried with chambered in 480 ruger. 

I had been toying with getting a s&w custom  shop 460. 

• Like 1

I’ve handled a smith 460 & 500, they are a nice revolver but their just too big to be practical. One might as well carry a rifle their so large. My SRH has the 9.5 inch barrel and the smiths are too  cumbersome to me. 

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

.44 mag. Bought a Kenai chest rig I love. Shot a lot at 50 yards over the years shooting iron sights. It’s a cupcake in recoil as pushes instead of flips like my plastic handguns. Killed a deer with daughter sitting next to me at 63 yards first year. Bang drop with right load. Born in 1978 she is 403463c069c5edde35dfb5211cd43ef4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYhunter  notice the grip, if your dead set on a SBH this is the type of grip to install as it moves your finger down from behind the trigger guard.Hogue and Pachmayr both make rubber grips for it. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Rob have you shot the 460 .... they are making them 4 inch 5 inch 9 inch 10  and 12 then theres the vxr howitzer. Racksmasherbhas a pretty sweet shooting  9 inch  460 .

Want to try a 480  srh?

I have not shot the smiths, I handled them shortly after they came out but that was it. And do I want to shoot a 480 ? does a fat kid love cake. Now that would be a fun range day a bunch of us pistol guys bring our favorite iron down to let all shoo em. . Hell I haven’t shot my new 10 mm yet as the range has been closed per king Cuomo’ s rona madness. And honestly I would rather have a BFR in the larger calibers if I was going to go larger than my 44.

Edited by rob-c

1 minute ago, rob-c said:

I have not shot the smiths, I handled them shortly after they came out but that was it. And do I want to shoot a 480 ? does a fat kid love cake. Now that would be a fun range day a bunch of us pistol guys bring our favorite iron down to shoot. Hell I haven’t shot my new 10 mm yet as the range has been closed per king Cuomo’ s I thought 

I thought they were open now ... i think a range day would be awesome.. problem is finding one that allows that many guests. 

1 minute ago, Nytracker said:

I thought they were open now ... i think a range day would be awesome.. problem is finding one that allows that many guests. 

I keep checking Corning fish and game clubs sight and it says its still closed, they’ve sent me 2 emails  about chicken bbq’s but  no open shooting. 
You know we know a couple fellows almost neighbors of mine with some land that I wonder  if we could talk them into a range day . Pigmy cough , Steuben jerry cough cough...