Ruger SuperBlackhawk

ny hunter

27 minutes ago, rob-c said:

You’ve seen me , do you really want to see me in that ? Hell I don’t want to see me in that.

I'd rather rip my eyes out...!!.. Now your lovely wife might be a different story ....<<smile>>....

I would be glad to host an informal  handgun shoot...  I do have an open area and a sidehill we could expend unlimited ordinance on and not hurt a thing other than perhaps a few bushes...We'd have to get creative on the targets, since there are  no facilities there, just an open area with a safe backdrop...

The way my hands shake anymore I couldn't  hit anything much farther away than my living room with a handgun....I would love to see some of you guys ( and girls) who are good shots  do your stuff, though....

I hereby extend my offer to provide the real estate to shoot on....

Sounds like the makings of a   GTG....Perhaps we can get some other members interested....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I'd rather rip my eyes out...!!.. Now your lovely wife might be a different story ....<<smile>>....

I would be glad to host an informal  handgun shoot...  I do have an open area and a sidehill we could expend unlimited ordinance on and not hurt a thing other than perhaps a few bushes...We'd have to get creative on the targets, since there are  no facilities there, just an open area with a safe backdrop...

The way my hands shake anymore I couldn't  hit anything much farther away than my living room with a handgun....I would love to see some of you guys ( and girls) who are good shots  do your stuff, though....

I hereby extend my offer to provide the real estate to shoot on....

Sounds like the makings of a   GTG....Perhaps we can get some other members interested....

I can supply 2 free standing 10 inch steel plates and can throw together a bunch of freestanding paper. I’ll bring a nice assortment of handguns . Should we start a new thread to see who we can get to come ? Sure would be fun.  

Edited by rob-c

I once owned a stainless regular Blackhawk in 357 with a 6.5 inch barrel, it was a good shooter and built like a tank. A buddy of mine had a Super Blackhawk in 44 and it also was a fine shooter. The Ruger single actions are known to be very strong and reliable. What I do not care for is the feel and fit of the single action revolver grip in my hand, it is one of those subjective things that one either likes or does not but those revolvers certainly perform.

I hunted with a 6.5 inch barreled S&W model 29 for many years, killed several deer with it and a couple of hogs, it was a gun that felt perfect in my hands and I shot it very well.

Below is a hog I took with it in Tennessee many moons ago, we were hunting with dogs and the guy used a Border Collie to bay which is pretty unusual to say the least. When caught up with a hog she would keep it in place the same as herding a sheep with tremendous speed and quickness. The hard part of the whole deal was getting a clear shot at the boar because she was circling him so fast.

Al

2377115390033835012usnRFw_ph.jpg

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, rob-c said:

I keep checking Corning fish and game clubs sight and it says its still closed, they’ve sent me 2 emails  about chicken bbq’s but  no open shooting. 
You know we know a couple fellows almost neighbors of mine with some land that I wonder  if we could talk them into a range day . Pigmy cough , Steuben jerry cough cough... 

I’ve been a slacker in keeping the range brush hogged, but an hour or two would neaten it up nicely. It would be nice to see all that iron in use. Want to make it a range day GTG? Rifles are welcome too. We can stretch out to 400 yds.

• Like 1

Just now, rob-c said:

I can supply 2 free standing 10 inch steel plates and can throw together a bunch of freestanding paper. Should we start a new thread to see who we can get to come ? Sure would be fun.  

Go for it, Rob.....We could shoot out to about 100 yards...

I once owned a stainless regular Blackhawk in 357 with a 6.5 inch barrel, it was a good shooter and built like a tank. A buddy of mine had a Super Blackhawk in 44 and it also was a fine shooter. The Ruger single actions are known to be very strong and reliable. What I do not care for is the feel and fit of the single action revolver grip in my hand, it is one of those subjective things that one either likes or does not but those revolvers certainly perform.
I hunted with a 6.5 inch barreled S&W model 29 for many years, killed several deer with it and a couple of hogs, it was a gun that felt perfect in my hands and I shot it very well.
Below is a hog I took with it in Tennessee many moons ago, we were hunting with dogs and the guy used a Border Collie to bay which is pretty unusual to say the least. When caught up with a hog she would keep it in place the same as herding a sheep with tremendous speed and quickness. The hard part of the whole deal was getting a clear shot at the boar because she was circling him so fast.
Al
2377115390033835012usnRFw_ph.jpg.3bfeb0a5e6e9787ee5c8bbed40c2b6f1.jpg
Nice cutters!

#LessOverzealousMods #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

1 hour ago, airedale said:

Al

2377115390033835012usnRFw_ph.jpg

Looks a little like Linc from the Mod Squad??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

Ny hunter  if you buy the sbh and you think you want the hogue grips let me know. I think I have a set of them I will give you .

Friend of had on I am going to check his out tonight..... I well get back to you... Thankyou

I have been looking at a handgun purchase for several months, I can tell you they are in very short supply especially 357 Revolvers. A revolver model that has recently caught a bit of interest from me is the Taurus Raging Hunter, I have been reading a lot about them and have seen quite a few videos that have been very favorable. Taurus in the past has had mixed reviews about their handguns quality and service wise but it sounds like they have been on the right track and now have a new manufacturing plant open in Georgia. The Raging Hunter was awarded 2019 American Hunter handgun of the year 2019. On a personal note I do own two Taurus 22 stainless rifles that have performed for me flawlessly and I think very highly of. 

While not my first choice if things do not loosen up soon with some stock becoming available I just may try the Raging Hunter in 357, these are also chambered in 44 mag and 454 Casull.

Taurus_Raging_Hunter_2-440085RH_L-1200x646-copy.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 1:18 PM, JR60 said:

Yes I have a Super Blackhawk chambered in a .41 caliber 

Ohhhh... ohhhh...  let me be THAT GUY!  :rolleyes:

No ya don't? lol 

Until recent stupidness at the new, lets forget our history, drop the Sturm name, "Ruger"...  SuperBlackhawks were only chambered in .44 Magnum.   It was that way since day one. 

(then when they came out with the .454 and .480, the geniuses decided to brand those SuperBlackhawks as well, despite having none of the features that made SuperBlackhawks... SuperBlackhawks, rather than just Blackhawks.) :stink:

Edited by cas

3 minutes ago, airedale said:

I have been looking at a handgun purchase for several months, I can tell you they are in very short supply especially 357 Revolvers. A revolver model that has recently caught a bit of interest from me is the Taurus Raging Hunter, I have been reading a lot about them and have seen quite a few videos that have been very favorable. Taurus in the past has had mixed reviews about their handguns quality and service wise but it sounds like they have been on the right track and now have a new manufacturing plant open in Georgia. The Raging Hunter was awarded 2019 American Hunter handgun of the year 2019. On a personal note I do own two Taurus 22 stainless rifles that have performed for me flawlessly and I think very highly of. 

While not my first choice if things do not loosen up soon with some stock becoming available I just may try the Raging Hunter in 357, these are also chambered in 44 mag and 454 Casull.

Taurus_Raging_Hunter_2-440085RH_L-1200x646-copy.jpg

I know a couple of people that have Taurus handguns and all 3 have had problems 2 with revolvers and 1 with a semi in 9 mil...Not sure I would trust them.

17 minutes ago, cas said:

Ohhhh... ohhhh...  let me be THAT GUY!  :rolleyes:

No ya don't? lol 

Until recent stupidness at the new, lets forget our history, drop the Sturm name, "Ruger"...  SuperBlackhawks were only chambered in .44 Magnum.   It was that way since day one. 

(then when they came out with the .454 and .480, the geniuses decided to brand those SuperBlackhawks as well, despite having none of the features that made SuperBlackhawks... SuperBlackhawks, rather than just Blackhawks.) :stink:

Hey now you don't know if he had a custom super bh in the 41 mag ..... just saying . Let's not forget super blackhawk hunter. Available  in plowhandle and bisley on the super frame.

Edited by Nytracker

2 hours ago, ny hunter said:

Went to a friends house for a BBQ shot his SBH.....Was very good shooter but I was not crazy about it...Thanks for all the help everyone..

You may notice a difference if you try a double action and try a few if you can.

I don't care for single actions in Ruger or Freedom guns, and have tried to like both.(I have a Redhawk 44mag, not the super edition)

40 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

I know a couple of people that have Taurus handguns and all 3 have had problems 2 with revolvers and 1 with a semi in 9 mil...Not sure I would trust them.

I hear you, I can say this Taurus is not alone, the last three firearms I purchased needed to have work done on them. I just picked up a new Thompson Center Encore frame as I have several barrels chambered in different calibers and got sick of constant barrel swapping. Anyhow a brand new barrel's lug was slightly out of spec and would not push in a safety catch in the frame to allow the hammer to be cocked. I had to spend a couple of hours stoning it to make it fit right.

My new Henry single shot had heavy trigger pull that I had to work on to make that satisfactory and now has a recall of the trigger. It works perfectly fine now and I see no problem with it so it is not going anywhere,

Last but not least was a Kingston Garand 22 autoloading rifle that duplicates a real Garand in feel and weight, that gun was a mess with many ill fitting parts that I had to spend hours on either changing or stoning to get proper fit, took me awhile but I finally got that working the way it should. No choice in the matter on the Kingston because they folded and filed bankrupt because of their poor quality control. Even with all the problems it is now one of my favorites.

Like I said the Taurus rifles are very nicely done and work perfect so go figure, seems like a crap shoot with everything these days.

Al

Edited by airedale

My buddy has a Taurus raging bull in 44 mag . Grips on it are quite comfy.. thing shoots lights out ...  Great gun unless your sitting next to it at the range .... why anybody puts holes in a perfectly good  barrel  I don't know . I have to wear double hearing protection when he shoots it . I have shotba couple 357 trackers ? They are nice.  One had problems with trigger,  Taurus fixed it and he had it back in a couple of weeks .

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

Hey now you don't know if he had a custom super bh in the 41 mag ..... just saying . 

It still wouldn't really be a SBH. :D  

(the 454's and 480's aren't either, I don't care what stupid new Ruger stamps on them) ;) 

I've shot a .41 Ti Trackers and .454 Raging Bulls, and while those guns were okay at that time lol, I don't trust them and wouldn't buy em. 

Edited by cas

Oh a ruger purist..... lol I get it . Just busting .Let's be real ... they have introduced  alot of new stuff on the same old design . They are making money ... and alot of new models that have been asked for years. Adj. sites on the bear cats .. 480/454 in a single  action. Bisley grips .. hunter versions ... convertibles.  It's a good time to be in the revolver game .