Outboard motor questions round #2

Nomad

Ok going on the air leak as suggested in round #1, I replaced the old metal tank, fuel line and fittings ,with One of those those new approved tanks, new fuel line and fittings . Went to start it all I heard was the starter going up to try and engage the flywheel . Pulled the cover , gas everywhere ,dripping from the carb housing , and all three plugs ! 

Now I squeezed the gas bulb a lot, as that’s what was required on the old system ,and apparently I flooded it bad . Pulled the plugs, turned it over and a boat load of gas sprayed out, kept doing that till it was just misting , dried everything ,put it back together and it stared right up, ( no pumping of bulb ). Wife and i took it out on a test run , started and ran fine , but it seemed to use a lot more gas .

Topped off tank , for daughter who used it yesterday, she came back with half a tank, which for the little distance ( anchored at the sand hill mostly )  and not running wot is not right .

Now to my question , would a stuck needle cause a drop in gph like that ? Would it still otherwise operate as normal ? Oh and I’ve never had to, pump bulb one time to start it even when cold  anymore .

Thanks .

The valve actualted by the float should have closed when you pumped the ball and the bowl was full. The fact that you overflowed the bowl, suggests that the valve is leaking. I would suggest a carb service including replacing float and valve. If overflowing the bowl, that would account for extra gas consumption and probably will foul spark plugs, with unburnt fuel.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

See above. Think cdbing nailed it. Prob float and carb service .   I know you said it's an older motor and not used too much if I remember.....those old carbs can get finicky. And if it's set a lot things get dry rot etc.  

Usually if an older motor is getting fuel but not running well it's either carb or plugs. Not much electronic issues to worry about. Prob new plugs and carb service would put you back in business. 

• Like 1

Do you run ethanol free gas ? 10 % corn liquor gas is murder on old outboards. 

I don't mind spending the extra 50 cents a gallon on the good stuff to keep all my old, seldom used little engines starting and running good.  That includes chainsaws, splitter, power washer, snowmobile, etc..

I do run the cheap ethanol crap in our automobiles, lawnmowers, and old tractors however, but they usually don't sit idle for long periods.

Edited by wolc123

Do they still rebuild carbs for outboard motors? Know the only option for the past few years for chainsaws is a new carb.

Along with using non-ethanol gas for small engines, I add Stabilt every time I put gas into a can.

Sorry Nomad, I'm no help! 

• Like 1

Nyslowhand, I can't speak for all brands, but for Johnson/Evinrudes built in the 90's the carb rebuild kits are still available, both OMC and aftermarket Sierra. The carb bodies or complete assemblies on the other hand are tough to find new, but come up used occasionally online on ebay, etc.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It’s a 1984 Johnson . Three cylinder 70 hp , haven’t looked around yet . I’m not putting much effort or $ into this . I’m 61 and been going out in boats since birth , this, one Since the ‘70s .

i’ll have me mechanic buddy take a looks see .

Edited by Nomad