How many Hunters Truly Read the Regs Book that they get with their Hunting License?  Definitely not everyone. 

Last 2 October's Running now, I have had to tell 3 Hunters that the Season was not in yet..  The first Hunter, I passed going up Indian Hill in Sterling Forest State Park in very early October of 2018 was in Full Fall Camo with a Brand New Camo Semi-Auto Shotgun. I asked him what he was out for and he said - Turkey.    I had to tell him that the DEC Knocked back the Season to beyond mid- October.    Now this Guy in his mid- 30s did not believe me. On he went.

And just last year--( 2019) in early October and again up at Indian Hill, I was walking out with ABBEY after skunking out on a Pheasant Hunt.  On the way up that Dirt Road was a Guy around 70 or so and a Young Man of perhaps 14 or so.             Both were in Full Camo with Turkey Shotguns. I knew what they were after- but asked anyway.   Turkey came the response. I had to tell them that opening day is October 19th - (2019). That the Season change started back in the Fall of 2015.  The Older Gent didn't believe me. On they went. 

Now in my talks with hunters in the Past- most wanted to keep ( Both) Turkey Legs on a Fall Turkey. If you get a Fall Turkey- you have to mail 1 Leg in.  Probably alot of Hunters-- especially if they Luck out on a Fall Gobbler will not want to surrender a Turkey Leg with a nice Spur on it.

For that reasons--- some Fall Turkey Hunters will not call in to report their Kill..  I think with these 2 Adult Fall Turkey Hunters- they did not know about the new Fall Turkey Season Opening g day because they did not read their Regs Book and did not report any Fall Turkey they may have taken before opening day.       

I used to read them... when I actually got them.  

I do double check the seasons before I go though because I don't trust my memory.  I almost screwed up this winter/spring thinking coyote season ended a couple days later than it actually did. Not that it would have mattered. lol  I saw just as many elephant. 

• Like 1

Shooting an inline is like kissing your sister.

I could see it happening. In fact, I was looking forward to squirrel hunting this month, but I’m glad I checked the season dates. Illinois was always August 1, and NY is September 1. 
However, I don’t know why they wouldn’t at least check if someone told them it was wrong...

Edited by Revenant
  • Like 1

Crossbow this year is late not nov 1st... I'm sure some will be out before season actually opens.

• Like 2

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Sheesh Gun is late too, 5 days before thanksgiving.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
Math
  • Like 1

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

I think what happened is that Traditionally Fall Turkey opened on October 1st with the rest of Small Game.

This allowed the Pheasant, Squirrel, Rabbit, + Ruffed Grouse Hunters to have a Crack at an unexpected Flush of a Wild Turkey Flock if they also purchased a Turkey Permit.   Anotherwords- they were in the right place at the right time without knowing it.

That is why today in DEC Zones 3+4- when Pheasant Season opens on October 1st and a Good Pheasant Dog Flushed up in the Air 12 Turkeys-- do you really believe an Excited Pheasant Hunter will " Hold His Fire"?!   Some yes-- but plenty- No Way. Into the Orange Game Vest that Turkey goes. 

I tried to let the DEC Know that this could happen as many would not know the Fall Turkey Opener got Kicked back to October 19th- ( 2019).

2 hours ago, CharlieNY said:

blackbeltbill is right on topic. Many hunters fail to check the seasons and regulations from one year to another. As almost everyone carries a cellphone now it is super easy to save the regulations to your phone as I have done. valoroutdoors.com https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/29461.html

Good info right there. Thanks!

1 hour ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Yes, a longer Bow Season . Nice.!

Yeah I'm not upset.  I like gun but getting a big boy with the bow is my current mountain to climb.

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump