Switching to Fixed Blade with new string

UpStateRedNeck

I've had some poor luck (almost certainly user error) with mechanicals, and it's time for a new string this year.

Without getting into the mechanical vs fixed debate, I'm going fixed blade after 11 years of mechanical.  

Shooting a 2008 Bowtech commander, 65 lbs is an easy draw for me so it will be in that general area.  Probably order up some new arrows, but I'm shooting Gold Tip Hunter Expeditions currently.

Suggestions for fixed blade broadheads?  

I've been shooting 125gr G5 Montecs for years now.  Every time I try something else I end up back on them.  The only thing I dislike is I have a devil of a time getting them sharp.  They say the CS version sharpens easier but it only comes in 100gr.

• Thanks 1

I've had the same thing happen.  Hit him at a steepish angle high with a low draw weight recurve and the arrow stuck in the off side shoulder.  Blood stayed inside and if he hadn't only gone about 30 yds and tipped over he would've made it into the swamp.

I don't think that was with a Montec though.

Edited by covert

I have always used (minus a couple of deer taken with mechanical) NAP Thunderheads. I used to use 125gr, but now shoot 100gr. I've always had good luck with them, and keep going back to them. They are inexpensive and have replaceable blades. I'm sure there are others that are just as good or better, but I'm not going to complain about them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never got good blood trails with Montecs.  Admittedly, I only used them on two deer and then changed.   They did kill the deer though.   I like the VPA 3 blade for my trad bows.  I am sure they would be great with a compound.  Easy to sharpen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Same as Moog, I shot 4 deer with Montecs and had terrible blood trails every time. Killed all 4 and I recovered them all but if the hits were marginal I doubt I'd have been able to recover them. If I were to go back to fixed blades I'd be shooting Ramcats again, But deer are simple to kill and mechanicals work every time for me...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I used 100gr Thunderheads for years, and never had a problem. When I picked up a new to me bow last year, I was trying out some different heads and went with the 100gr Muzzy four blade, because they shot so well from this new bow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used 100gr Thunderheads for years, and never had a problem. When I picked up a new to me bow last year, I was trying out some different heads and went with the 100gr Muzzy four blade, because they shot so well from this new bow. 

Great minds Grampy - that’s what i shoot too. As Rev said above they are reasonably priced and do their job if I do mine. I buy the replacement blades which keeps the cost per pound down further!

Why do those Montecs leave such a poor blood trail? My buddy shot two deer(both recovered) with little to no blood trail- seems a common theme with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Why do those Montecs leave such a poor blood trail? My buddy shot two deer(both recovered) with little to no blood trail- seems a common theme with them

I have taken probably a dozen deer with them. One of the toughest broadheads I have every used. Easy to sharpen, punched though ribs and shoulders and were able to reuse them after a quick sharpen. Flew great out of my bow......and I'll never use them again just for the blood trail reason. I have no idea why. I've used fixed with similar cutting diameter and had good blood trails. I've never had a good blood trail with the Montecs, even through the boiler room.  

7 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I have taken probably a dozen deer with them. One of the toughest broadheads I have every used. Easy to sharpen, punched though ribs and shoulders and were able to reuse them after a quick sharpen. Flew great out of my bow......and I'll never use them again just for the blood trail reason. I have no idea why. I've used fixed with similar cutting diameter and had good blood trails. I've never had a good blood trail with the Montecs, even through the boiler room.  

Stop coating them with your styptic pencil.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Magnus cut on contact two blade for 25 years or so . First a swedged glue on , then Stingers  , limited use of the serrated ones, went back to PE. 

Don’t recall to,many difficult or long  blood trails .

I'm leaning towards a 2 blade cut on contact, but those muzzys are well recommended.  Blood trails stress me out, but probably because I've used rage w blades every year until this one.

And my own poor decision making.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
Don't blame the blade blame the hunter

It’s amazing. My buddy shit a doe once and Saw it drop. When I arrived I said don’t tell me where it is , let me track it. I started at a full pas through arrow and made ZERO PROGRESS from there. He, watching the route the doe took adapter being hit, still could barely find blood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk