Switching to Fixed Blade with new string

UpStateRedNeck

Lol. That's for sure.  I deserve an ass kickin for my performance last season.  
Hell my broadheads might be rusted closed at this point. 

No bigger fan of your 2020 season than me...just couldn’t resist busting them a bit to keep it loose!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, crappyice said:

It’s amazing. My buddy shit a doe once and Saw it drop. When I arrived I said don’t tell me where it is , let me track it. I started at a full pas through arrow and made ZERO PROGRESS from there. He, watching the route the doe took adapter being hit, still could barely find blood

I would like to see the guy that could "shit a doe " and " the doe took adapter " ! :rofl: Sorry , I had to say it after reading your post . 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Youre not wrong! But the penetration I got with the rages left much to be desired, hence the switch for me 

I haven't had one not go all the way through yet (35 yards and in).  Did you hit a shoulder or something? I sure can see how those "flimsy" blades would not hold up well against bone. 

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I haven't had one not go all the way through yet (35 yards and in).  Did you hit a shoulder or something? I sure can see how those "flimsy" blades would not hold up well against bone. 

The buck I shot last year went through, but not a complete pass through. It went about 3/4 of the way though hitting nothing but ribs at 15 yards broadside. To be fair the buck was big bodied and technically it did go all the way through, but it didnt blow through like it should have. The deer only went 30 yards and tipped over so It did its job well, but just not as much as I would have liked. Could also be because im only shooting 62 pounds now because of a hurt shoulder so im not blaming the broadhead 100 percent. 

24 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

The buck I shot last year went through, but not a complete pass through. It went about 3/4 of the way though hitting nothing but ribs at 15 yards broadside. To be fair the buck was big bodied and technically it did go all the way through, but it didnt blow through like it should have. The deer only went 30 yards and tipped over so It did its job well, but just not as much as I would have liked. Could also be because im only shooting 62 pounds now because of a hurt shoulder so im not blaming the broadhead 100 percent. 

I'm only shooting 60# on my compound.  did it go THROUGH  a rib bone? or pass between them?  I use to have that issue with the fold back style mechanicals but haven't with the Rages yet

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I'm only shooting 60# on my compound.  did it go THROUGH  a rib bone? or pass between them?  I use to have that issue with the fold back style mechanicals but haven't with the Rages yet

Through the ribs. I think it busted 1 or 2 ribs, but one blade bent and the other broke off. I was shooting the hypodermics 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Through the ribs. I think it busted 1 or 2 ribs, but one blade bent and the other broke off. I was shooting the hypodermics 

If you are busting ribs, doesn’t sound like bad performance.   Out of curiosity, what is your total arrow weight with head?  I have never had any questionable penetration with rage but also shoot 72-82lbs and 520g arrows.  Always wondered whether draw weight or arrow weight played the bigger role in penetration for me.  

On 8/10/2020 at 9:24 PM, BowmanMike said:

I am shooting a grizzlystik samurai two blade single bevel this year. No reports yet. Last year i shot montecs and also got poor blood trails,both were less than perfect shots though. Both recovered,but i got lucky.

Both of my sons that hunt shoot the two blade single bevel blades . My oldest sons shoots a recurve and his arrow weight is around 770-790 grains . Unbelieveable . Those blades with weights are pricey . He is a follower of Ed Ashby .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

If you are busting ribs, doesn’t sound like bad performance.   Out of curiosity, what is your total arrow weight with head?  I have never had any questionable penetration with rage but also shoot 72-82lbs and 520g arrows.  Always wondered whether draw weight or arrow weight played the bigger role in penetration for me.  

Thats also one of the things, im shooting a light arrow. Im shooting a 405 grain arrow (with broadhead) at the moment. Next year im uping in spine and putting 200 grains of weight up front. I cant say Ive had "bad" preformance, just don't have the confidense that I feel is cruical for bowhunting

Edited by ATbuckhunter
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Interesting. Between my son and I, we've killed 4 so far with the Rage Hypo's. Only 2 were complete pass throughs, but the other 2 were not. Close, but no cigar! The one he shot last fall just poked through the ribcage, but not enough to penetrate the hide to leave an exit hole, so the blood pooled inside. I was beginning to question our setups. 

8A62FA7F-9309-4D16-872E-FB849DA36684.jpg

Edited by Cabin Fever

27 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Interesting. Between my son and I, we've killed 4 so far with the Rage Hypo's. Only 2 were complete pass throughs, but the other 2 were not. Close, but no cigar! The one he shot last fall just poked through the ribcage, but not enough to penetrate the hide to leave an exit hole, so the blood pooled inside. I was beginning to question our setups. 

8A62FA7F-9309-4D16-872E-FB849DA36684.jpg

That was one of the problems. I wasnt having consistent preformance on similar shots. I just dont have the confidence on a less than ideal shot (but still decent) as I once had. All the deer that I hit well dropped very quickly, I will admit that. 

2 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Both of my sons that hunt shoot the two blade single bevel blades . My oldest sons shoots a recurve and his arrow weight is around 770-790 grains . Unbelieveable . Those blades with weights are pricey . He is a follower of Ed Ashby .

I shoot the 125 grain version,they were $50 for three,so not terrible price wise. I hope to re-use  them a lot. I have 100 gr brass inserts to help with the weight up front. These arrows drop more at 30 yards,20 yards was not much difference compared to my super light ones. I dont plan on shooting past 30 anyway.

22 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Those look evil, how's the blood trail?  I like the 2 little blades on the side to open it up more.

Let’s just say I’m partially color blind, and have no issues. I LOVED rage trails, but had penetration issues with my short draw. These are the best bang for your buck, my buddies and I all have made the switch after seeing results and the warranty is amazing.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

Let’s just say I’m partially color blind, and have no issues. I LOVED rage trails, but had penetration issues with my short draw. These are the best bang for your buck, my buddies and I all have made the switch after seeing results and the warranty is amazing.

You might just have sold me, thank you sir!

Sorry..not following- penetration issues and trails you love? No exit hole usually equals lack of a BT like the Cabin Fever pic shows

Never shot them but I bet they would make one hell of a mess with a gut shot deer (not a bad thing). The soft fleshy belly would be shredded I bet. Rib bones sound like an issue which makes me nervously

Ok we can go down the sidetrack road now!

Listen I know I'm not the best bow hunter on the planet.  I might even be a bad one.  Decision making is crap, and for some reason, ONLY WITH BOW (haven't missed a rifle shot in 10 years, including a 200 yard free hand heart shot on a doe) I have had bad results with rage on big bucks.  I'm aware it's almost certainly my fault.  Have a taken over a dozen doe with rage 2 blades in the 11? years I've been hunting with the bow?  Yup!  Has any one of them gone more than 30 yards?  Nope!  All heart shots, with kitchen-faucets-turn-on type blood trails.

But I think there's big damn difference in penetrating ribs that are double the thickness of a doe. Also I think I would have recovered 50% more of the bucks I shot with a nice penetrating broadhead instead of the 2 blades.  Hell, on the one decent buck I've taken it was a 10 yard, eye level, double lung pass through, and the friggin deer was still running 4 hours later.  Yes I gave him 3+ hours to expire.  And every deer search guy I've talked to, the dispatcher, or the dog man himself, when I say "Rage" they get all get the same look/tone of voice.  Disappointment & Sympathy in equal measure.

I think you are on the right track with your thinking.  Stats collected from deer search around the country show a higher recovery rate for fixed blades over mechanicals and much higher recovery for pass-throughs vs one hole. 

Everything works on a great shot and Rage can be devastating.  I really agree with the idea that with better penetration you would have recovered some of those deer.  Many of us bow hunters have learned lessons the hard way.  Sounds like you are trying to learn from your experiences.  Good luck making improvements.  

I keep coming back to deer I hit in the shoulder blade with mechanicals that I shouldn't have lost.  A well built cut on contact, like a Magnus would have done the job.  These were shots under 30 yards with heavy aluminum arrows.  Now I know better.