Kayaking

2012_taco

I went fishing yesterday in mine. I have just a cheap fishing one. It really depends on what you want to spend and is it just a fishing kayak or multiuse? Then you need to decide what are things to focus on, is weight a factor, style, sit in or sit on......wider has more stability but slower and more energy to paddle if your kayaking long distances....

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

I've got a 3 waters big fish, I like it, very stable, not unmanageably heavy,not terribly expensive. I've got a trolling motor mounted up to mine. I've added rod holders, anchor etc. Trolling in a kayak is pretty fun.IMG_20190409_085852278_HDR.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I've got a 3 waters big fish, I like it, very stable, not unmanageably heavy,not terribly expensive. I've got a trolling motor mounted up to mine. I've added rod holders, anchor etc. Trolling in a kayak is pretty fun.IMG_20190409_085852278_HDR.jpg

was wondering. if you put a trolling motor on one does that become a motor operated and need to be registered?

I've got a 3 waters big fish, I like it, very stable, not unmanageably heavy,not terribly expensive. I've got a trolling motor mounted up to mine. I've added rod holders, anchor etc. Trolling in a kayak is pretty fun.IMG_20190409_085852278_HDR.thumb.jpg.f9f46789ace1149eedcd360135971a26.jpg

I've been meaning to kayak troll for spring browns on Ontario forever, never manage to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I bought a used Field and Stream Eagle Talon a few years ago. I waited until winter and got a great deal on Craigslist. It's a sit on top, really heavy, but stable as all get out. Set up for fishing. Really, you just have to decide what is important in them. A sit on top vs sit-in, longer will usually track better and provide more stability, but can be really slow (like mine). I would definitely make sure that you get a fishing yak, and you'll probably need to replace the seat, as most stock seats are crap.

I used to go fishing with a friend who had a "cheap" Field and Stream sit in. An hour or two into it he'd be miserable. 

With my sit on top I can move around, cross my legs, sit sideways with my feet in the water, even lay down and take a nap. 

IMG_2421.JPG

Edited by cas
  • Like 1

I opted for a cruising kayak that I occasionally fish from. Fourteen foot sit-in from Wilderness. The nice fishing outfits are really nice but you will hate it if you try using it for recreational paddling. Search for used ones or check the stores for a year-end sale. Even if you get a used one, go to a dealer and get a quality paddle that fits. Go online for all of the other accessories. There’s a LOT of them, go slowly. PFD, fishing rod holders, paddle straps, skirt for keeping dry, anchor, sponges or pump. The list goes on and on. PFD and paddle are the two essential items but there’s a lot you can add. Also racks for the vehicle to transport them. Again, start simple and then look for ones that fit your needs best. 
Have fun and enjoy all the exploring that can be done. 

33EFB138-8304-4826-A913-98A8E102FDE3.jpeg

I've fished from a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 for fifteen years, and I love it, but...when there's a chop on the water, it washes in over gunnel very easily. So, it's a flat water boat.

I've started  looking for something that's better suited for some of the Finger Lakes, maybe even a calm day on Lady O. My biggest concern with the sit on top models is the weight. My Pungo weighs in a 48 lbs. i heave it into the back of my pickup, ratchet her down, and I'm off to the races. I can sling it across my shoulder and carry her down a dirt trail to the water.

Some of the SOT models are over 100 lbs! I'd need a trailer. A kayak for me is about ease of use. So - what's the best compromise? A lighter SOT? A different sit in that's better in the chop? Opinions are welcome.

That's the problem, they're like a range bag or a camera bag, you keep adding things to them until they're so heavy you don't want to bring them.  Add in tackle, anchor, battery (to power my fish finder and bilge pump) and whatever else, and it gets heavy.  Mine's a 14 footer.  But I'm 6'4" , 240-280 depending, so now little light cheap yak is going to work for me.  

Mine is a Malibu Stealth-14 

The problem I had is if someone wants to go with you you need a second kayak,  much easier with a canoe, hold more gear and more weight,and if you have a good one way lighter than a typical kayak. More room for.my.legs, options of kneeling,sitting and standing to cast. They get a bad rap as tippy havent had that problem personally 

Thanks for all the comments, I'm in no hurry so i will probably look around check out Cabelas, Wally world etc. I heard that because of the pandemic they are hard to find? Same as bicycles. I have a few friends that have several kayaks so I plan to hit them up for a few outings and see what they have and what i would like in a kayak. I do expect that I would like to get at least a 10 ft or 12 ft. just for the room and stability. The canoe sounds good also as most of the time my wife would probably be going with me and they definitely have more room.  

25 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Thanks for all the comments, I'm in no hurry so i will probably look around check out Cabelas, Wally world etc. I heard that because of the pandemic they are hard to find? Same as bicycles. I have a few friends that have several kayaks so I plan to hit them up for a few outings and see what they have and what i would like in a kayak. I do expect that I would like to get at least a 10 ft or 12 ft. just for the room and stability. The canoe sounds good also as most of the time my wife would probably be going with me and they definitely have more room.  

I would really keep an eye out on Craigslist if you can wait until winter. People offload them in the winter just like motorcycles.

• Like 2

Scenario question for the yakkers;

Wife and I bought sit-in Kayaks five-ish years ago. We primarily use them on the Cohocton and Canisteo rivers or some smaller (shallow) bodies of water in our immediate area. I've tipped one over in 2-3 feet of water in the river while horsing around, and that thing is HEAVY when it fills up with water. Being that it was in 2-3 feet of water it's no big deal to drag it over to the bank, tip out all the water and get back to having fun.

I see folks yakking in different finger lakes anywhere from 20 FOW to 200 FOW or more. What's the plan should one tip over and fill up? 

That's why I stay mostly in rivers. I don't even know if I could pull myself back on in a sit-on-top at my age. We always wear life jackets.

Don’t be frugal when it comes to paddle.  Plastic and steel ones aren’t anywhere as efficient as a carbon fiber and fiberglass one.  Think about it. This is your propulsion system and the one motion you repeat thousands of time.  Excellent place to shave away weight 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hueyjazz said:

Don’t be frugal when it comes to paddle.  Plastic and steel ones aren’t anywhere as efficient as a carbon fiber and fiberglass one.  Think about it. This is your propulsion system and the one motion you repeat thousands of time.  Excellent place to shave away weight 

I scored a sweet carbon paddle on CL for $15, youre correct it makes a huge difference

3 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

Youre certainly welcome to mine anytime, it hasnt come down all year

• Like 1

5 hours ago, G-Man said:

The problem I had is if someone wants to go with you you need a second kayak,  much easier with a canoe, hold more gear and more weight,and if you have a good one way lighter than a typical kayak. More room for.my.legs, options of kneeling,sitting and standing to cast. They get a bad rap as tippy havent had that problem personally 

I have a Radison Canoe and 4 kayaks, 1 a fishing one and a bass boat. They all have there uses. But yes if you want which could cover the most bases a canoe would do it. I fish out of kayak almost as much as the bass boat lol.