Mushroom ID

Big Indian

Well I can tell you that it is a species of Agaric with scales on the cap. I'm at my surgeon appointment so I don't have my books handy. There are many books and online resources, but I advise caution on using photographic identification without other testing such as spore prints. Agarics are tough and some can be deadly. There are a couple dozen other species that are easier to ID. I'd recommend starting with puffball, oyster, chanterelle, maitake, sulphur shelf, morel, shaggy mane and black trumpets. Good luck

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Well I can tell you that it is a species of Agaric with scales on the cap. I'm at my surgeon appointment so I don't have my books handy. There are many books and online resources, but I advise caution on using photographic identification without other testing such as spore prints. Agarics are tough and some can be deadly. There are a couple dozen other species that are easier to ID. I'd recommend starting with puffball, oyster, chanterelle, maitake, sulphur shelf, morel, shaggy mane and black trumpets. Good luck

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

How’s the hand progress???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks to me like the "flat headed tallywhacker" mushroom...They are not fatal, but if you eat one, you'll wake up the next morning with your penis under your pillow...

So I had to know, what results would appear if Googled “flat headed tallywhacker”

e8a739a9ae8d44c066d3f43c0dcc80bc.jpg

Mrs Balbricker I understand...
But Hilary/Obama???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I love mushrooms and pick some on my farm BUT,

When I was in college I asked my pharmacognosy professor about how to ID mushrooms.  The short answer was “Find a “stada Baba Polock” ( Old peasant grandmother from Poland)  “She knows the stuff better than me.  His longer answer was” Pick three or four species that you CAN”T be mistaken for anything but edible.  You need a book and a loop or magnifying glass when you go out there.   I like mushrooms so I make sure of my species before Taking them home.”  And as an old marine sergeant once told me,,,,”Don’t be too stupid to live”.   Both of these advices hold especially true for mushroom pickers.

I pick only a few species that I cannot mistake for anything but edible and can eat them with great confidence.   Around 2001 We had a long-time mushroom picker consumed some white mushrooms he picked at a state park on a Sunday morning ate them that evening.   He was sick a few hours later, went to the local hospital treated, felt fine and was released that evening. On Wednesday he started to feel ill and returned to the hospital.  Lab results showed meteoric rise in liver enzymes and the start of kidney failure. By Friday morning he was rushed to my hospital in acute renal and liver failure.  He was bright dayglow orange (signs of both liver and kidney failure) and in incredible pain…..screaming and thrashing around. We never ID the mushroom though his family said it was pure white, leaving some to surmise amanita phalloides  (also known as the “destroying angel”),,,though that mushroom is not native to the US  but has been found in Maryland and the west coast.  In any case the poor guy died screaming by Friday afternoon waiting for a liver transplant. (In 35 years of treating patients this was the only fatal case of mushroom poisoning I ever tried to  treat. (Most just make you sick as a dog, doing some liver  damage and just wishing you were dead. Unless you are sure leave it alone)   

IF you are serious about mushroom picking utube has a great lady “Yellow Elanor” who explains mushroom identification in detail and watch this and other videos she makes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sylVme-EfA

This is worth your time and can save your life (please ignore this message if I am in the will!)

ID’ing mushrooms is way too important to take anybody’s advice on this site especially if it’s prefaced with “I think” or “Could be”

When I was in college I asked my pharmacognosy professor about how to ID mushrooms.  The short answer was “Find a “stada Baba Polock” ( Old peasant grandmother from Poland)  “She knows the stuff better than me.  His longer answer was” Pick three or four species that you CAN”T be mistaken for anything but edible.  You need a book and a loop or magnifying glass when you go out there.   I like mushrooms so I make sure of my species before Taking them home.”  And as an old marine sergeant once told me,,,,”Don’t be too stupid to live”.   Both of these advices hold especially true for mushroom pickers.

I pick only a few species that I cannot mistake for anything but edible and can eat them with great confidence.   Around 2001 We had a long-time mushroom picker consumed some white mushrooms he picked at a state park on a Sunday morning ate them that evening.   He was sick a few hours later, went to the local hospital treated, felt fine and was released that evening. On Wednesday he started to feel ill and returned to the hospital.  Lab results showed meteoric rise in liver enzymes and the start of kidney failure. By Friday morning he was rushed to my hospital in acute renal and liver failure.  He was bright dayglow orange (signs of both liver and kidney failure) and in incredible pain…..screaming and thrashing around. We never ID the mushroom though his family said it was pure white, leaving some to surmise amanita phalloides  (also known as the “destroying angel”),,,though that mushroom is not native to the US  but has been found in Maryland and the west coast.  In any case the poor guy died screaming by Friday afternoon waiting for a liver transplant. (In 35 years of treating patients this was the only fatal case of mushroom poisoning I ever tried to  treat. (Most just make you sick as a dog, doing some liver  damage and just wishing you were dead. Unless you are sure leave it alone)   

IF you are serious about mushroom picking utube has a great lady “Yellow Elanor” who explains mushroom identification in detail and watch this and other videos she makes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sylVme-EfA

This is worth your time and can save your life (please ignore this message if I am in the will!)

ID’ing mushrooms is way too important to take anybody’s advice on this site especially if it’s prefaced with “I think” or “Could be”

When I was in college I asked my pharmacognosy professor about how to ID mushrooms.  The short answer was “Find a “stada Baba Polock” ( Old peasant grandmother from Poland)  “She knows the stuff better than me.  His longer answer was” Pick three or four species that  CAN”T be mistaken for anything but edible.  You need a book and a loop or magnifying glass when you go out there.   I like mushrooms so I make sure of my species before Taking them home.”  And as an old marine sergeant once told me,,,,”Don’t be too stupid to live”.   Both of these advices hold especially true for mushroom pickers.

I pick only a few species that I cannot mistake for anything but edible and can eat them with great confidence.   Around 2001 We had a long-time mushroom picker consumed some white mushrooms he picked at a state park on a Sunday morning ate them that evening.   He was sick a few hours later, went to the local hospital treated, felt fine and was released that evening. On Wednesday he started to feel ill and returned to the hospital.  Lab results showed meteoric rise in liver enzymes and the start of kidney failure. By Friday morning he was rushed to my hospital in acute renal and liver failure.  He was bright dayglow orange (signs of both liver and kidney failure) and in incredible pain…..screaming and thrashing around. We never ID the mushroom though his family said it was pure white, leaving some to surmise amanita phalloides  (also known as the “destroying angel”),,,though that mushroom is not native to the US  but has been found in Maryland and the west coast.  In any case the poor guy died screaming by Friday afternoon waiting for a liver transplant. (In 35 years of treating patients this was the only fatal case of mushroom poisoning I ever tried to help treat. (Most just make you sick as a dog, doing some liver  damage along the way and just wishing you were dead.  AGAIN,Unless you are sure leave it alone)   

image.png.d53d505ba59762858df2e9b77f124187.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Happy 5-Shot said:

Look like oysters

I thought so but my mushroom daring has stayed at chicken of the woods so far!! So they stayed there.

Also looked like Ivory Funnel which is poisonous.

Edited by Fletch
cause
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I thought so but my mushroom daring has stayed at chicken of the woods so far!! So they stayed there.

Also looked like Ivory Funnel which is poisonous.

not oysters, they don't have a stem. And Otto it is an icicle mushroom or also known as lions mane,tasty.