Ready For The Ticks?

airedale

1 hour ago, GreeneHunter said:

That's what I use , but I usually  mix it up and spray around the house and use the Aerosol Permethrin for my Hunting Clothes !

GH  Use the liquid spray bottle permethrin mix on your clothes . You can smell the aerosol  on your hunting clothes for days . Permethrin has no scent , but aerosol does.

I use the Martins which is made by Controlled Solutions like others here have mentioned. Its a great product that saves a ton of money compared to buying the premixed Sawyers .  But one thing that everyone should watch for. Make sure you buy the water based mixes. Do not buy the pretroleum mix. Any mix that says its more than 10 percent permethrin is most likely petroleum based . Just check the labels before you buy . Even some 10 percent mixes are petroleum based. And they will leave your clothes smelling like engine oil.  The Controlled Solutions ( Martins ) 10 percent mix I know is water based. 

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SportsmanNH said:

GH  Use the liquid spray bottle permethrin mix on your clothes . You can smell the aerosol  on your hunting clothes for days . Permethrin has no scent , but aerosol does.

I use the Martins which is made by Controlled Solutions like others here have mentioned. Its a great product that saves a ton of money compared to buying the premixed Sawyers .  But one thing that everyone should watch for. Make sure you buy the water based mixes. Do not buy the pretroleum mix. Any mix that says its more than 10 percent permethrin is most likely petroleum based . Just check the labels before you buy . Even some 10 percent mixes are petroleum based. And they will leave your clothes smelling like engine oil.  The Controlled Solutions ( Martins ) 10 percent mix I know is water based. 

Correct the Martins is water based.. the gordons is not..

3 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

Water based does not adhere as well to clothing, nor does it last through wash cycles. 

Sawyers is a water based mix with .5 percent permethrin. I can make 4 1/2 gallons of the same .5 percent permethrin mix buying a quart of the water based Martins 10 percent permethrin for the same price as buying two  24 oz bottles of Sawyers. The mix is identical to the Sawyers with no scent  when it dries.

On the Sawyers bottle it says " Effective Through 6 Washes " . I have found that to be correct. But I still give my hunting clothes a light spray after 2-3 washes for a booster shot because I hate the creepy little bastids. 

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/sawyer-permethrin-mosquito-amp-tick-repellent-24-oz?a=1773574&szc=000&clrc=000&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr86i06Wz6wIVAoTICh002gIfEAQYBSABEgJfn_D_BwE

A few years ago I called the company . They told me its the exact mix they sell to the military and claimed one application was effective for 6 washes or up to 6 weeks.  They made a suggestion that if you are putting your outfit in the dryer after washing ,  to turn the outfit inside out. 

7 hours ago, SportsmanNH said:

Sawyers is a water based mix with .5 percent permethrin. I can make 4 1/2 gallons of the same .5 percent permethrin mix buying a quart of the water based Martins 10 percent permethrin for the same price as buying two  24 oz bottles of Sawyers. The mix is identical to the Sawyers with no scent  when it dries.

On the Sawyers bottle it says " Effective Through 6 Washes " . I have found that to be correct. But I still give my hunting clothes a light spray after 2-3 washes for a booster shot because I hate the creepy little bastids. 

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/sawyer-permethrin-mosquito-amp-tick-repellent-24-oz?a=1773574&szc=000&clrc=000&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr86i06Wz6wIVAoTICh002gIfEAQYBSABEgJfn_D_BwE

A few years ago I called the company . They told me its the exact mix they sell to the military and claimed one application was effective for 6 washes or up to 6 weeks.  They made a suggestion that if you are putting your outfit in the dryer after washing ,  to turn the outfit inside out. 

Interesting, the sawyers I bought when opened had that petroleum smell. 

On 8/11/2020 at 10:18 PM, blackbeltbill said:

I have had Lyme. Permethrin works great on camo and Deep Woods Off around the Neck. 

Treat that Camo members and don't end up in the Hospital like, I was for 4 days.

How did you know you had it. Didnt know it was curable

• 6 months later...
14 hours ago, corydd7 said:

I just found a tick on my dog. Isn't super early for that? I still have snow on the ground! 

Little early, but more active with these warmer days. Just put fresh cattle tags on my dogs.