Ready For The Ticks?

airedale

As the hunting season approaches I am trying hard to be as ready as possible, probably a case of going overboard but after going through that bout of Lyme it will put the fear into you, I figure I can not be too careful.:yes: An outfit coming up with a shot for Lyme disease would be great in my book.

Al

2019-12-04_064921.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

As the hunting season approaches I am trying hard to be as ready as possible, probably a case of going overboard but after going through that bout of Lyme it will put the fear into you, I figure I can not be too careful.:yes: An outfit coming up with a shot for Lyme disease would be great in my book.
Al
2019-12-04_064921.thumb.png.39558992bbbcda0743ad6bb3f3e400c5.png

Throw all that crap away from the left of the magic yellow bottle!!!! Game changer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

On 8/11/2020 at 10:26 PM, Chromeslayer said:

Wasting your money on everything except the Permethrine spray... buy a bottle of 10% permethrine from tractor supply and dilute it down to .05% and call it a day

Why not just buy the bottle ,who wants to dick around mixing chemicals? 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 6:19 PM, Jeremy K said:

I do simply because a $10.00 bottle doesn't go all that far when you spray every thing for all seasons. The stuff you buy @ tractor supply you can get a couple of gallons or more and it goes a long ways for better than 1/2 the price.

No chemicals to mix just add water to the correct ratio and you are good to go.

• Like 3

On 8/13/2020 at 6:19 PM, Jeremy K said:

Because i can make 20 bottles for the price of one sawyers. I have tested it on live ticks and works the same. It has a self measuring container you squeeze 1 oz then just add 20 oz water to a spray bottle. I'm buying a garden weed sprayer to do my clothes this year with a pump. 

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

Because i can make 20 bottles for the price of one sawyers. I have tested it on live ticks and works the same. It has a self measuring container you squeeze 1 oz then just add 20 oz water to a spray bottle. I'm buying a garden weed sprayer to do my clothes this year with a pump. 

Interesting...I have a Rynoskin outfit, that keeps the little bistards from getting to me, but maybe coating my outer wear with your formula will really keep me protected.

• Like 3

I do simply because a $10.00 bottle doesn't go all that far when you spray every thing for all seasons. The stuff you buy @ tractor supply you can get a couple of gallons or more and it goes a long ways for better than 1/2 the price.
 No chemicals to mix just add water to the correct ratio and you are good to go.

Is this the stuff you get?

09a49102c4847b76ec48c91b64c60b88.jpg

2 hours ago, Merlot said:

Interesting...I have a Rynoskin outfit, that keeps the little bistards from getting to me, but maybe coating my outer wear with your formula will really keep me protected.

The video shows them dying with in seconds of being placed on the garments treated in permethrin ,i had no idea it worked so quickly. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Can't read the label but I believe it is. The one I bought is a Gordons in a 8 oz. bottle. Each bottle has a dosing label attached to the back for different applications. I use the dosage specifically for ticks which I believe is .32 ozs. per gallon.

An 8oz. bottle of 10% will make 25 gallons and a pint bottle of 10% will make 50 gallons.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, crappyice said:

That is the stuff. I mix one ounce of that, to twenty ounces of distilled water. Shake it up, then spray it on and let it dry. Goes a long, long way, and works just the same,  at a fraction of the cost of Sawyers.

And I always have enough now! Was always running out of the Sawyers, and had to run over to buy more. Now I have gallons to make up anytime.

• Like 1

The video shows them dying with in seconds of being placed on the garments treated in permethrin ,i had no idea it worked so quickly. 

No doubt that works but I have also seen videos of boats with a screendoor sprayed with flex seal for a floor

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, crappyice said:

No doubt that works but I have also seen videos of boats with a screendoor sprayed with flex seal for a floor

I,ve found a few dead ticks on me already since using it and found a couple in my boots. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, grampy said:

That is the stuff. I mix one ounce of that, to twenty ounces of distilled water. Shake it up, then spray it on and let it dry. Goes a long, long way, and works just the same,  at a fraction of the cost of Sawyers.

And I always have enough now! Was always running out of the Sawyers, and had to run over to buy more. Now I have gallons to make up anytime.

Correction: :banghead:I  checked the  bottle I have made up and the dosing label. It is actually 6.7 ozs. per gallon so a pint bottle will make 2.4 gallons.

Sorry for the confusion :(. So it figures out to the equivalent of 26 bottles of Sawyers for approx. $260. vs $ 2.35 for per 12 oz. bottle of the mixed.

Correction: :banghead:I  checked the  bottle I have made up and the dosing label. It is actually 6.7 ozs. per gallon so a pint bottle will make 2.4 gallons.
Sorry for the confusion . So it figures out to the equivalent of 26 bottles of Sawyers for approx. $260. vs $ 2.35 for per 12 oz. bottle of the mixed.

Wow...good numbers

15 hours ago, crappyice said:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-permethrin-10-livestock-and-premise-spray-32-oz I use the Gordons. $20 for 32 oz or $8 for 8 oz. It does have a slight petroleum smell when sprayed just like sawyers, but after airing out clothes it dissipates, petroleum is what makes it adhere to your clothes and stay on during wash cycles. 

On 8/11/2020 at 10:06 PM, crappyice said:

Throw all that crap away from the left of the magic yellow bottle!!!! Game changer!

In my opinion there is still a place for Deet based repellents especially in the summer months when there is a lot of exposed skin. I basically live in the woods and when outside I am ringing the dinner bell for every biting insect or bug known to inhabit the North East such as Black Flies, Deer Flies, Horse Flies, no see ums, Mosquitoes, etc. The Mosquito pools up this way have been tested and shown to carry West Nile and Triple E. While I spray down my hunting clothes with permethrin and some of my other outdoor specific clothing I do not spray down every article of clothing I wear with permethrin, and also permethrin is not recommended to be used on exposed skin so traditional repellent has it's place in my world.

By the way since we are talking about biting insects my wife purchased a bug killer on QVC at the beginning of the summer, I was a non believer myself but it was her dime so it was her gamble. So sitting out on the deck just before dark was impossible, the mosquitoes came out of the woodwork and would eat you alive. Since this Dyna Trap has been hanging outside in operation that problem has virtually vanished. This thing catches bugs by the thousands and I have to say I was totally wrong about it's effectiveness, it really does work.

Al

Have you heard the buzz?

Nope. No buzz at all.

That's because the DynaTrap XL does all the trapping without any zapping.

Ultraviolet bulbs, carbon dioxide, and a built-in fan are what DynaTrap uses to keep bugs at bay.

2020-08-23_065017.png

Edited by airedale

Down here on the Island, the skeeters are sooo bad by the water. I LOVE Deep Woods Off in the summer, but it does nothing for the Gnats. We have a VERY healthy tick population here, as well. Sawyers is GREAT. I have seen big ticks walking backwards on my arm (of my hunting clothes) to get away from it and watched the small ones die and fall off. I will def check out the stuff from Tractor Supply. Thanks for the link @Hock3y24

Edited by squirrelwhisperer
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, grampy said:

Does it have an odor when dry? Sawyers is odorless when dry. 

What’s better the Gordon’s or Control Solutions? I know a lot of hunters with Lyme. I don’t have it and DON’T want it!

1 hour ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Does it have an odor when dry? Sawyers is odorless when dry. 

What’s better the Gordon’s or Control Solutions? I know a lot of hunters with Lyme. I don’t have it and DON’T want it!

I have the Gordon's. And there is no smell that I can detect. I also mix with distilled water. But even if it did smell, I'd still use it! As deer will smell you anyways, no matter what you do. And having ticks chomp on you, is far worse than a deer winding ya, in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1