Gooses

Kmartinson

24 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I was hunting years ago up near Montezuma Swamps, and a dead goose made a direct hit on the noggin of a guy in a nearby blind and actually knocked him unconscious...

I’ve caught mourning dove that I shot....in my hand coming down.  :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I’ve caught mourning dove that I shot....in my hand coming down.  :)

I tried that with a crow once...Unfortunately, he was falling head first and his beak gouged out a nasty gash in the palm of my hand....First thing I thought about was what he probably had been eating..YUCK... As I remember, the wound did not get infected...I was lucky...Never tried that again...

On 8/15/2020 at 6:38 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Around here they're all on lawns all September ; library, soccer fields etc. I swear these resident geese know where not to land

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thats it in early season..... you gotta get creative

On 8/11/2020 at 3:29 PM, BigVal said:

In all seriousness I wont have much time this year but I have done a little scouting. Found a few fields by my house to be holding geese and numbers of birds moving around to be a bit low. The usual roost spots have birds on them as well. I'll probably hunt a couple times to do some early training with my new pup. 

South end of cayuga is getting stacked with residents, ill be on the x next tuesday

Both ways will work. Or switch tactics all day. Plus throw some sneak attacks and jump a swamp or two in the afternoons..  I sit on the roost in the evenings and  find the largest feeds coming in at night. Once I find the largest feed I come back at dawn and follow them as they fly out to feed in the ag....  after they land you start knocking on doors or looking for close public land to set up traffic scenario. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

Let's bang em out! There's probably a way to waterfoul hunt and still preserve your treestands. Its easy to get em in this time of year!!!!

I guide waterfowl and deer On LI and trust me, goose hunting is in no way effecting treestands. At least not around by us they don’t. Can’t tell you how many times while in a pit and had deer literally walking through our spread feeding amongst our Avians

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bruno1 said:

I guide waterfowl and deer On LI and trust me, goose hunting is in no way effecting treestands. At least not around by us they don’t. Can’t tell you how many times while in a pit and had deer literally walking through our spread feeding amongst our Avians

You see everyone........ no more excuses!!!! However there are still plenty of them to go around. I bet you got birds stacked up out there. I want to get to the potholes in the dakotas, but my guess your siting in the best part of this flyway? I read plenty about waterfoul at the turn of the century and punt guns on the island.... seemed terribly effective. 

• 2 weeks later...