Gooses

Kmartinson

On 9/8/2020 at 9:34 PM, Kmartinson said:

Does anyone want to get thier dog a workout? 100 Geese in a rough spot. Big swamp need a retriever for an awesome shoot.

I wanted to say that I took kmartison up on the offer and hunted geese with him last weekend.  He’s got it figured out up in the finger lakes.  My dog got a nice retrieve in the swamp.  Some better shooting on my end and we would’ve gotten a nice pile of geese. I had a terrific time and learned a lot 

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I wanted to say that I took kmartison up on the offer and hunted geese with him last weekend.  He’s got it figured out up in the finger lakes.  My dog got a nice retrieve in the swamp.  Some better shooting on my end and we would’ve gotten a nice pile of geese. I had a terrific time and learned a lot 

kmartison is an awesome guy and puts you on geese. I did the opener with him and we dropped a few that day. Wish my shooting would have been better too.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

Let's bust thier beaks. Follow the morning flights and ill bring a hundred dekes. 

They land on the lake or farmers field next to lake. Once in awhile I'll get 50 or so duck land on the pond, ,buffle heads and wood ducks.   Never tried to get them to land in my food plots but I'm sure they would . Canada geese do. 

Don't be sad my man.... we have some late season gooses during some of the duck seasons! Pretty soon we can do mid day rabbit hunt over the beagles too! After you slock one and tag out on the hot early feed you can come down and shoot some Susie's! Also im in 5000 acres of public that hold some whitetail and have gotten a few boots on the ground, my first couple weeks of archery will be there when the weather permits.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, G-Man said:

They land on the lake or farmers field next to lake. Once in awhile I'll get 50 or so duck land on the pond, ,buffle heads and wood ducks.   Never tried to get them to land in my food plots but I'm sure they would . Canada geese do. 

Ducks love crops especially in late season. Is there water access, we have some floaters? Does the farmer allow goose hunting? I've been really fortunate in my quest for goose ag. And highly recommend the door knock method.

22 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

Ducks love crops especially in late season. Is there water access, we have some floaters? Does the farmer allow goose hunting? I've been really fortunate in my quest for goose ag. And highly recommend the door knock method.

The one does I know.  I see early.canada hunters there from time to time.  Cant say I've ever seen anyone hunt lake ,but they drain it 10ft and water would be hard to get to. Valley is flyway for snow geese it seems .

2 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Just never had anyone to learn from, could jump shoot woodies off creek but doenst seem.right ,or when about 100 buffleheads landed on pond 50 yards from house...  

Any legal kill is a honest hunt. Sometimes we go day after day without any luck. So we find a roost pond and do a sneak attack. There are alot of variables but im into eating wild game and wing shooting birds.

9 minutes ago, G-Man said:

The one does I know.  I see early.canada hunters there from time to time.  Cant say I've ever seen anyone hunt lake ,but they drain it 10ft and water would be hard to get to. Valley is flyway for snow geese it seems .

we hunt below the low.water mark in late season on cayuga.  More of a duck set up but we get lucky once in a while.

42 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

Any legal kill is a honest hunt. Sometimes we go day after day without any luck. So we find a roost pond and do a sneak attack. There are alot of variables but im into eating wild game and wing shooting birds.

Shooting the roost is something I never like to do . 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, G-Man said:

Never hunted goose or duck and I have a bunch flying over all the time, always amazed at the snow goose flights.  

We also get a ton on our side of the interstate during bow season ,I hear them honking like crazy in the cut corn and in my buddies pond while im sitting in the stand.

• Like 1

IMHO, small game hunting and wingshooting in particular, can be more exciting than deer hunting. That is, unless you're @Buckmaster7600 and you hike across mountain ranges in pursuit of the game. Having birds come in so fast that you don't have time to reload your gun is a lot of fun. It's also usually more of a group outing. Deer hunting is awesome. It's hard to beat the rush of adrenaline when you send it, and definitely yields more meat when you have a successful hunt, but it's much more of a solitary thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

IMHO, small game hunting and wingshooting in particular, can be more exciting than deer hunting. That is, unless you're @Buckmaster7600 and you hike across mountain ranges in pursuit of the game. Having birds come in so fast that you don't have time to reload your gun is a lot of fun. It's also usually more of a group outing. Deer hunting is awesome. It's hard to beat the rush of adrenaline when you send it, and definitely yields more meat when you have a successful hunt, but it's much more of a solitary thing.

We're still waiting to see the track from his gps so we can see what kind of terrain the deer traveled that he followed for 10 miles