Farewell HuntingNY.com

Rattler

Enjoy your retirement! Best wishes and good luck with the new property. My kids are grown and both are talking about moving, then there will be nothing to keep me here. Even if the kids don't move, I'll probably retire and get outta here in 6 yrs or so.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wife wants out bad , our kids living here keep me here though . Once the youngest finds a solid guy , that may change things .

So many friends and family have left already its tipping the scale for me .

Had lunch with a nephew up from Texas today , he sold his law practice here , the buildings , his home and moved his wife and four kids to Texas , couldn’t be happier . His “ friend group “ from here are all talking of moving , their parents have all moved already.

NYS is circling the drain , all the ones pulling the cart are leaving , the ones riding in the cart are staying , not a pretty picture. The tax picture in NYS in two years will be interesting 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Nomad said:

Wife wants out bad , our kids living here keep me here though . Once the youngest finds a solid guy , that may change things .

So many friends and family have left already its tipping the scale for me .

Had lunch with a nephew up from Texas today , he sold his law practice here , the buildings , his home and moved his wife and four kids to Texas , couldn’t be happier . His “ friend group “ from here are all talking of moving , their parents have all moved already.

NYS is circling the drain , all the ones pulling the cart are leaving , the ones riding in the cart are staying , not a pretty picture. The tax picture in NYS in two years will be interesting 

It's because of the snow isnt it 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

What State did you move to and how is the different hunting compared to New York?

I went to South Carolina, then to Florida and now I’m in Georgia. I did not hunt in SC, hated Florida hunting and have not hunted in north GA yet. My family still has land in Steuben so I have always hunted there.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Rattler said:

Reposting here in case any of my friends didn't see it in the Trail Cam forum.

I was holding off on posting this until it was closer to fruition, but it seems a lot of people on this site jump to conclusions and are really nasty about it, so my hand has been forced.

I am retiring in the spring of 2021 and have been making major moves towards the retired lifestyle I will be living then.  I’ve liquidated some large assets and restructured my retirement savings in order to reinvest in my future outside of God forsaken NY state.

I’ve had it with the the government here, from the taxes to the gun laws, and have unloaded everything that would hold me here.  The properties have been sold and the investments have been moved.

I now own 200 acres of beautiful deer country a little NW of State College, PA and plan to move there in the spring.  I got a tip from my niece the owner wanted to sell it and move south.  She lives right next door.  The timing was right and I closed the deal in June.  (I also got lucky on a deal for a 2020 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 recently when they offered 0% financing due to the virus crap.  That will be my farm truck and hunting vehicle.  I’m keeping the other SUV too.)

I posted a trail cam pic of a bear on the land and another of some deer there. Those deer are inside a 20 acre fenced in goat pen on my land.  They easily jump the goat fence to get in and out. My niece and her kids have goats they keep there.  The mineral lick is for the goats in the summer.  It’s removed at the end of August.  Perfectly legal in PA.  You can't hunt inside the goat pen either.

That being said, I’m looking forward to my retirement and new life in PA in the spring.  Was gonna wait until spring to announce it and just drop some hints along the way to see if anyone could guess where they were leading, but that has only caused some people to devolve into ankle biting critics, so there won’t be any fun in doing it.

I’m leaving NY, and none too soon IMHO. I hope all of you guys who are looking to do the same someday make it happen.

As far as HuntingNY.com goes, I wish it was worth staying on after I move, but I don’t think it’s worth my time anymore, so I wish all of the real hunters and intelligent patriots on this site all the best in the future.  Farewell and God Bless!

The lefties and ankle biters will not be missed.

You posted a lot that made good sense to me. No reason to leave HuntingNY.com for voicing your opinion. and being called out on it.

We have lost some dam good members for the same reasons.  Perfectly alright to voice opinionsb but be ready to be called out on them.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

I remember a Great Article in Turkey + Turkey Hunting Mag entitled--( The Culhutta Gobbler). This story was about a absolutely Huge Gobbler that roamed the North Georgia MTS and was written by the Guy who killed him-- The Old Professor--Charlie Elliott- 1906-2000. 

Turkey Hunting should be good there!

I've had numerous deer, turkey and two bear in my yard since my arrival. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2020 at 9:11 AM, blackbeltbill said:

Trueas, I am a member of NJwoods+waters and live in NY of course.

Unfortunately there were a few " Ankle Biters" on Rattler.    That is why GrowAlot Left..

a better way of saying it is that there will always be people who disagree on topics both minor, major and of course specific and broad. That's forum life everywhere.

This forum is unique in that it's not super large, and numbers seem to be decreasing and not growing. Much of it to do with a  clique high school group approach to disagreement. One member disagrees with another and then the friends jump in and double, triple team etc. 

Take that biden/harris thread for example. I don't share the OPs views, but the teaming up creates a divisive atmosphere that nobody wants to be a part of. Let members hash their stuff out 1 on 1 and if it doesn't concern you, stay out of it. If it's a misunderstanding or old beef, don't add your 0.02. 

Hunter numbers continue to drop and when we should be united, even if we disagree over politics, religion or aspects of game management. This site is very far from inviting to new members, and that opinion is easily backed up by the names and faces you see join and those you see leave.