I need a new smoker.

Nytracker

My smoker is starting to show its age..  30 inch digital Masterbuilt. Seals are leaking on the door  handle is pulled off the back . Racks have had the chrome scrubbed off . Probably  10 years old . Still works fairly well.

Wife gave me the go a ahead to get a new one .  I really  liked the Masterbuilt digital. Problem is the current  models aren't getting  very good reviews and apparently customer service  has really tanked .

Wife doesn't want a pellet grill. And I don't have a dry  place to store a pellet grill.

So anybody  else  using an electric smoker what models . I would like to upgrade to the 40 inch masterbuilt but with the problems with the digital controller  I'm gunshy of buying  another Masterbuilt. 

Why is the wife against a pellet grill?  I love mine. 6 yrs old and sits outside in the weather. I has a fitted cover that sill looks good. A bag of pellets don't take up much room, and a smoke tube will help with smoke flavor if you like it a little stronger.  

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Why is the wife against a pellet grill?  I love mine. 6 yrs old and sits outside in the weather. I has a fitted cover that sill looks good. A bag of pellets don't take up much room, and a smoke tube will help with smoke flavor if you like it a little stronger.  

She likes to use the grill  doesnt like change . She doesn't want the smoke on the porch  as it will funnel into the house  .

My smoker is starting to show its age..  30 inch digital Masterbuilt. Seals are leaking on the door  handle is pulled off the back . Racks have had the chrome scrubbed off . Probably  10 years old . Still works fairly well.
Wife gave me the go a ahead to get a new one .  I really  liked the Masterbuilt digital. Problem is the current  models aren't getting  very good reviews and apparently customer service  has really tanked .
Wife doesn't want a pellet grill. And I don't have a dry  place to store a pellet grill.
So anybody  else  using an electric smoker what models . I would like to upgrade to the 40 inch masterbuilt but with the problems with the digital controller  I'm gunshy of buying  another Masterbuilt. 

See the “Whats for dinner” thread and contract Papa Bionic!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

She likes to use the grill  doesnt like change . She doesn't want the smoke on the porch  as it will funnel into the house  .

You said you need a new smoker. Your old masterbuilt  isn't a grill and can't be used as one, and produces smoke like any other smoker.  

So are you looking for a all in one, smoker/grill or a dedicated smoker? 

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrEeB09CjdfriQAHwIPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1597471422/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.masterbuilt.com%2fpages%2fgravity-series-560/RK=2/RS=kTA4SjV406n6K0Aj_pIJ7DtcpIM-

Recently bought one of these, best thing i ever did.Fill it with charcoal, add some wood chips for smoke, set time and temp and forget about it.

I have done ribs, chicken ,turkey whole and breast, also short ribs, it works excellent and can also grill with it.

2 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Dedicated  smoker

I use my pellet "grill" as a dedicated smoker as far as grilling and higher temps to sear. It doesn't compare to a gasser or a charcoal grill.  I'm sure others do, but mine is a smoker and it does that job extremely well.  If you're only looking for a smoker, don't overlook a pellet "smoker".   You just might be surprised.  

Edited by mowin

15 hours ago, mowin said:

Good to hear.  I just got a traeger with a nice rubberish fitted cover. It will sit outside 3 seasons. For winter I’ll keep it in a shed, but I’m sure I’ll still pull it out occasionally to use under an E-Z up.   For @Nytracker... I don’t expect it to replace my gas or charcoal grills. it’s just used for smoking, and so far it’s been great. 

• Like 1

Yea  don't want a green egg. Don't want to deal with charcoal  and temp  control . And stacking food . I like the set it and forget it of the masterbuilt .

I just got a green egg and it is set and forget, once you dial in the vents it really holds it’s temp
Well

• Like 1

I just got a green egg and it is set and forget, once you dial in the vents it really holds it’s temp
Well

You get it with the cool digital temp controller fan things?

#LessOverzealousMods #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

You get it with the cool digital temp controller fan things?

#WeDemandADislikeButton

I did not, but honestly with just a little tweeking it holds temps just fine.

• Like 1

I did not, but honestly with just a little tweeking it holds temps just fine.

I would have no clue what I'm doing. A guy at work has the fan thing he said it's incredible

#WeDemandADislikeButton

I would have no clue what I'm doing. A guy at work has the fan thing he said it's incredible

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Watch one YouTube video and that’s all
You need, once you get it to hold steady at a temp just don’t touch anything it’s that simple, less oxygen equals less heat it’s not hard at all

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using a Bradley Original electric smoker for a few years. It was ok, not great. It had a hard time getting up to temp when the air temp was lower than 75. Customer Service wasn't the most helpful, so I have been casually looking for replacement. Last week I picked up a Pit Boss 3 Series Copperhead. Still electric, although now I'm using pellets instead of pucks. It has a digitial temp panel with a manual temp control knob. I'm only one smoke in, but so far so good. Picked it up on end of season clearance for $150 (MSRP $400).