Favorite hunting celebrity?

vipertech

And you really dont think Tred Barta isnt full of himself?

Actually, I don't. He is not afraid to show himself in some rather humbling situations, and does. However, there is no shortage of hunter-heroes that make a regular practice of hacking the bad parts out of their videos so that they can maintain that unblemished expert image.

personally I think that all of the shows didplay hunting in a fantasy type situation. They are the reason that everyone needs the newest fanciest equipment and has to plant a farm to feed deer and needs the newest camo and 4 wheeler etc etc. And if hunters, especially new ones, go out and dont kill a rack deer in a half hour they think they are doing something wrong. They have it all on tv and little do most know, or pay attention to, it is given to them to say a dozen times in a half hour I use this or that. They also hunt canned places and make it look so real.  They are whores to the advertisers. You dont think that Barta doesnt edit?  They have days of footage to see shot. Yeah he shows misses but his holier than thou I make my own arrows etc. I would think would turn you off doc. I bet if he hunted with a crossbow, you would never watch again.  I prefer Uncle Ted not only because of  his show, but his values as an American.  Go watch a concert of his just once you leave thinking there is a great guy.  The closest one to reality in my opinion is Jim Shockey.But in the past few years, he has even fell into the advertisers grip. I mean realistically look at the replies on this thread. The best one is a blonde bimbo with big boobs. She isnt a hunter she is a seller, and apparently it works cuz she has a bunch on here drooling. 

I certainly agree that TV hunting shows may be the worst thing that hunting has ever had to endure. I do think that they give unrealistic pictures of hunting. I think that generally they are bad for the hunting image in that they portray hunting as "no-fail" activity in which all  kinds of super-weapons are used, and the prey has little opportunity to win. They also tend to foster unrealistic expectations, especially among some of our younger or newer members, and now even some of that seems to be creeping into the expectations of many of the people who should actually know better. Also, I find that an opportunity to be a bit educational is being lost. The hunter-heroes are more interested in promoting themselves than they are in serving any useful function that might benefit hunting. And of course they spend way too much time hawking products, to the point where many of these shows just seem to be primarily infomercials with a vague hunting theme added in.

The only way that these programs have any value is if you look at them purely as entertainment and don't even try to make them anything more than that. They're not going to be educational. They are not going to realistically portray any kind of hunting that 98% of the viewers are used to experiencing. They simply are a story-book presentation of what hunting could be in a very contrived land of make-believe. It's a story to entertain the viewers. We really shouldn't even try to make anymore out of than that. So, when I see guys like Shockey, Waddell, or Barta, etc., I understand that what ever goes on there is strictly for my entertainment. That includes their personalities as well. So I never get all that hung up on personal characteristics of these players. I understand that however they come across, it is most likely because that is what has been determined to sell the program and the advertised products.

I think you guys are putting too much stock into what effects hunting shows have lol. People buy the latest and greatest because its available and they think it will give them an edge. Its always been that way, TV didnt invent that. Food plots are around because they work, and are legal. TV didnt invent that. I could go on and on, but its gonna get monotonous, and I think you get my point. The shows are there for entertainment and maybe a little informational value, but thats it. No reason to blame all of your hunting woes on them.

I think you guys are putting too much stock into what effects hunting shows have lol. People buy the latest and greatest because its available and they think it will give them an edge. Its always been that way, TV didnt invent that. Food plots are around because they work, and are legal. TV didnt invent that. I could go on and on, but its gonna get monotonous, and I think you get my point. The shows are there for entertainment and maybe a little informational value, but thats it. No reason to blame all of your hunting woes on them.

Actually, I didn't see where anybody was blaming their hunting woes on TV shows.

I'm pretty sure I am missing the point of your reply. Must be a bit too early in the morning ..... lol. Sorry about that but I'm having a problem relating all that to anything that was posted. could you clarify a bit more? What specifically are you replying to?

I guess I don't watch enough of these hunting shows, but the ones I have seen have been nothing to write home about.  Some of the hosts were downright embarrassments and almost make me ashamed to be a hunter.  Ted Nugent has to be my least favorite by far.  Tred Barta got a couple of votes here, but all I ever saw on his show was him flinging arrows at ranges he probably shouldn't have been.  I don't know how this could present him as an ethical hunter?

Really? He hunts with a longbow with no modern crap on it and makes his own arrows. There is a big difference between longbows and compounds(I like to call them modern bows and not primitive). With that kind of bow you have to feel for shooting a lot more. He shows failure in chasing game more times than succeeding.

I actually could care less about any of these hunting characters.  Barta or any of the others could decide to hunt with loin cloth and run barefoot across the Alaskan tundra, I wouldn't think too much more of them.  I prefer my own hunting experiences and those of friends and relatives over what I might see on TV.

I actually could care less about any of these hunting characters.  Barta or any of the others could decide to hunt with loin cloth and run barefoot across the Alaskan tundra, I wouldn't think too much more of them.  I prefer my own hunting experiences and those of friends and relatives over what I might see on TV.

That's fair enough. Not everybody watches the same TV programs. Lol.... I'm not sure the barefoot, loincloth thing would do much for me either.

I don't know, it seems like there are more hunting shows than ever before and also more products that are advertised too. Some people are greatly affected by marketing and beleive in it like the bible. As far as kids go, that is our jobs to teach them that TV hunting shows may as well be cartoons.. they ain't real life most of the time

Amen doe.....entertainment only and it IS OUR job to pass it on the way it really should be.

Whether it is school or outdoor shows the real learning takes place at home.

And Bubba....a big boobed blonde bimbo that can shoot is what I have been asking Santa for ever since I was 14.....SOB hasn't come through yet...lol

What I find most amusing in these silly shows is when the hunter makes the shot and turns to the camera and can barely get any words out because they are breathing so heavily.  They look like they are about to go into cardiac arrest.  Heck, if I was in such a state of delirium and had such compromised vital signs after I shoot, I think I'd want paramedics parked a few hundred yards from my stand.  LOL!

Actually, I didn't see where anybody was blaming their hunting woes on TV shows.

I'm pretty sure I am missing the point of your reply. Must be a bit too early in the morning ..... lol. Sorry about that but I'm having a problem relating all that to anything that was posted. could you clarify a bit more? What specifically are you replying to?

I was referring to Bubba's reply.

BTW Bubba, I never said Tiffany was the best hunter, shes just better eye candy than Tred Barta or Jim Shockey or even Uncle Ted (aka the man). Im pretty sure thats what the other guys were saying as well.  :P

When comparing TV hunters, whats the point in saying this guy is better than that one? Its entertainment LOL.