beachpeaz

Road Kill

Recommended Posts

Trying to get to the bottom of this deer.  Not for my own benefit, but but to put a friends mind at ease that it is not a specific one he has been watching......

The vague story circulating some other forums is simply this:  Guy was driving home from work and saw a truck pulled over on the side of the road.  As he drove by, he saw the guy with a huge velvet dead deer.  Pulled over and took a picture of the buck.  Multiple questions in the forum asked where in NY, and his response is simply "Near Buffalo."  And another one that said "Southern Tier."  I've PM'd the guy, posted in the thread, etc, and he hasn't even given me the courtesy of a response.

Hoping someone here knows of it, heard about it, etc.

I don't need an address or GPS coordinates......Something a simple as a town or a road would be swell to put a friends mind at ease.

1440729365_RoadKill.jpeg.8a106edfe87332052711ebdfb0cd1141.jpeg

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So sad that a true monarch like that met his end by being hit by a vehicle, and not by a hunter.

Hope you find more info on this. I can tell you it was NOT from our property in the hills of Albany county!! We haven't seen a buck like that ever!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A unique drop tine like that should be easy to identify. Hopefully somebody chimes in.

We always lose giants to traffic, particular on one property that is near a large park. On the far side of the park is a very busy 55 mph road. One year we had three of the four bucks that were true park monsters end their lives tangled up in somebody's grill. I think that those old, smart bucks that have good sanctuary are actually as likely to die this way as via a gun or bow. The good news for your buddy is that, in general, there's no way that losing a big buck gets kept quiet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope it wasn't this guy! I've been watching him for 3 years now. He was hit by a car (I assume) as when i first saw him he was limping bad, broken front right leg/shoulder. He still limps when he walks by the camera. https://huntingny.com/forums/topic/60924-7-bucks-still-adorned-with-bone/?tab=comments#comment-859112

I'm not sure this will post the pic I was hoping? But there is a pic of the buck in this thread. See the 2nd pic posted on Feb 10. Sorry my computer skills are limited. LOL

Edited by 2012_taco
added text.

Hunt when I can.. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, I am calling BS on this guy.  I'm not going to post his name out of respect for his privacy, but you can probably easily do your own investigative internet search and find it.   I've PM'd him multiple times without the courtesy of a response......not even a "F off, I'm not telling you."  Just radio silence.

The fact that NOBODY has ever heard of, or seen this deer.......in NY, where true giants are rare........garbage.

Knehrke, you are correct, it would be easily identifiable to someone.

Zero chance this deer is a ghost.

I'm guessing at this point that it is someone just trying to get attention and posted a picture and made up a story.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

I hope it wasn't this guy! I've been watching him for 3 years now. He was hit by a car (I assume) as when i first saw him he was limping bad, broken front right leg/shoulder. He still limps when he walks by the camera. https://huntingny.com/forums/topic/60924-7-bucks-still-adorned-with-bone/?tab=comments#comment-859112

I'm not sure this will post the pic I was hoping? But there is a pic of the buck in this thread. See the 2nd pic posted on Feb 10. Sorry my computer skills are limited. LOL

Same one we just talked about ? All those deer come out of that thick stuff into the field across the street. I've seen some really nice bucks getting ready to cross there on my way home from shooting. That field would be perfect for one of those round bail blinds .

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I've seen some really nice bucks getting ready to cross there on my way home from shooting.

Yes, they like to tease me like that too!


Hunt when I can.. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Yes, they like to tease me like that too!

Can you get permission to hunt that field?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, beachpeaz said:

 

I'm guessing at this point that it is someone just trying to get attention and posted a picture and made up a story.

 

 

There are thousands of BS deer stories all over the internet and elsewhere.  I surely wouldn't get worked up about this story in the least.  You will probably never know the real truth so no point in wasting your energy on this.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, beachpeaz said:

Trying to get to the bottom of this deer.  Not for my own benefit, but but to put a friends mind at ease that it is not a specific one he has been watching......

The vague story circulating some other forums is simply this:  Guy was driving home from work and saw a truck pulled over on the side of the road.  As he drove by, he saw the guy with a huge velvet dead deer.  Pulled over and took a picture of the buck.  Multiple questions in the forum asked where in NY, and his response is simply "Near Buffalo."  And another one that said "Southern Tier."  I've PM'd the guy, posted in the thread, etc, and he hasn't even given me the courtesy of a response.

Hoping someone here knows of it, heard about it, etc.

I don't need an address or GPS coordinates......Something a simple as a town or a road would be swell to put a friends mind at ease.

1440729365_RoadKill.jpeg.8a106edfe87332052711ebdfb0cd1141.jpeg

Wouldn't your friend be positive if that was the deer hes been watching ? There is a whole lot of unique features going on that should tell him or not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Wouldn't your friend be positive if that was the deer hes been watching ? There is a whole lot of unique features going on that should tell him or not.

The issue is, for the most part, we are going off the sheds we found of that buck last year.  So, with that much character, it can surely change year to year enough to create doubt.  Only a couple crappy night pictures of him so far this year, and that was mid-July when he was not anywhere near done growing. 

So, yeah, if we had recent pictures, for sure, you are correct.  But, given what we have to compare to, it is making it tough!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To bad that big boy was hit by a car.

 

So if I have this right, someone posted a picture of this buck and claimed it was a NY buck. You're buddy is all stressed over it. You have sheds from this buck or one like it? You figure this site can help when there are thousands of hunters who aren't members here?

 

Man, I wish you all the luck in the world with this one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2020 at 10:05 AM, Jeremy K said:

Can you get permission to hunt that field?

Permission? we don't need no stinking permission!

  • Like 1

Hunt when I can.. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DirtTime said:

To bad that big boy was hit by a car.

 

So if I have this right, someone posted a picture of this buck and claimed it was a NY buck. You're buddy is all stressed over it. You have sheds from this buck or one like it? You figure this site can help when there are thousands of hunters who aren't members here?

 

Man, I wish you all the luck in the world with this one.

Not sure what the point of your post was.  Did it hurt to ask?  Lol.  Ya never know where someone might have info.  Geez.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.