the perfect shot

whitetailfreak

what do you guys think the perfect shot,ive had 140 class deer numerous times this year and didnt want to close the deal,either quatering away or quatering to.im not the type of person that wants to chance injuring a deer due to a poorly place shot,what do you guys think about this was i wrong not to shoot

If you think you were right not to shoot then you were. If you are using a firearm as I assume you are , you may be able to take a quartering away shot if you can put the round behind the shoulder.I don't know how far away the deer has been.Remember to aim for the opposite shoulder,not too high. I would want the deer to be stopped not moving if possible. Again it comes down to your confidence.If you are not confident taking the shot then you are correct not to.No one wants to wound and possibly lose a deer.At least not ethical hunters.Hope that might help.I think the perfect shot is broadside to answer that part.Good luck.

In my opinion, between the quarter-in and the quarter-away, I would think away would be the best shot. Visualize your own anatomy. If you go from up under your ribs out to your collar bone, nothing obstructs the path to your vitals. As oppose if you collar bone or right under your shoulder down, you are close to several large bones (shoulder blade, etc). Also, I would imagine that the front of the deer can take a little more than the rear because through evolution and them constantly fighting each other, the front is designed to take a couple of hits from a competing buck. Not to say a bullet won't go through it, just that it's more protected there than under the ribs.

I actually prefer the quartering towards me shot.. With that angle, if you hit them just inside the shoulder it is deadly.. Got a doe that way last weekend and destroyed her heart... It is a shot I am very comfortable with..

Like others have said, you should never take a shot you are not comfortable with..