hunting land rental question, plymouth ny 7M

I have another question for you hunters without land , I have a 46 acre piece that is currently for sale , but have not sold yet, I do not plan on doing much hunting there , as I have another parcel closer to where I live,, does anybody know what a reasonable rate for the day or week or weekend would be to rent this kind of a piece out, ?

It has many deer blinds, and trails and deer are here, not monster bucks but avg size for the area,,  I am thinking of putting a 27' camping trailer on the property to use with the rental,, so a generator would have to be used, but would have water and bathroom, and sleeps I think 6,, not that the property would handle 6 safely,

this is just a thought at this time to help with the taxes and utilize the property, and maybe give someone a chance to hunt without traveling to and from a motel etc,, there are many state land parcels very close, a few withing 1-2 miles,,

thanks for any help and info,, get out there,, love the outdoors, God bless you, pat

/www.nystatemls.com/property/0_Hopkins_Crandall_Rd-Smyrna-NY-13464/10889010/

this is the land

I think having a trailer there would complicate things for you, as far as liability....any building/structure you would want a security deposit, etc. . Who is responsible for cleaning after use? Risk of fire with the propane heater/stove? Water, sewer clean out, etc. 

My opinion is that I would only rent/lease by the season or year, letting the other party supply thier own tent/trailer,etc. I certainly wouldnt break the property into smaller parcels to lease. One party on ten acres may be fine in the right spot, but four parties in forty acres or so is no where near enough elbow room.

• Like 1

I would think $300 for a weekend and more for a week, maybe $500. As for capacity you could advise 4 or less, but every situation is different. I used to hunt with a buddy who didn't but liked camping so he was always glad to come with me. Plus some parties will bring kids or seniors who hunt with a buddy. My brother and I usually sit together and take turns who gets first shot, Good luck.

First and foremost you should get a quote for what your insurance would be to use as a rental property. In this day and age people sue for tripping over a twig. So I would have a very solid liability package just in case.

Second, I doubt you'd get $300 or more for a weekend or $500 for a week without at minimum a small cabin and an outhouse.

Travel trailers even just parked, take a lot more maintenance then a small 12 X 20 wood shed that you insulated and put a wood stove in, a couple tables and some bunk beds.

I would try and find someone or a small group and lease it out per year ( the full year ) with any restrictions you would want to place in the contract. Toss the thought of weekend or week long rentals out the window. You won't want that much turnaround on your land.