Franklinville 7pt

TreeGuy

Well, I will start by saying I'm one of " those guys " who will only take a mature buck.... Which has had me buckless for 5 seasons and prob 600+ hours of tree time. Wed, my father and I decided to go to our camp in franklinville. We sat till about 10 till we both were soaked and cold, saw nothing. We got back on top of the hill to the camp I looked across the valley and immediately spotted a monster just bedded down and hanging out on posted land.... Being that I abide by the law I refused to put him in my scope and stuck to binos, prob a 10 or 12 pig, perfect huge rack, huge body and only 800 yrds away....After a hot coffee, some breakfast and a change of cloths we decided I would take a slow walk as my father would sit in his stand. As we left, that bruiser was still there, ugh ! So I went up my infamous loggin road and started my loop. I stumbled upon a very large pile of poop and even had to snap a picture to show It's size, but when I grabbed a stick to investigate the pile I noticed it was steaming, oh yea, this means I may see or get my first bear ! Well, that didn't happen but it was a thrill. Heavy fog came in making it impossible to see past 5oyrds, and it sucked ! So after a long day of nothing but hints of bucks n bears we decided to do our thanksgiving hunt here in franklinville.

I'm all about spending time with the fam whenever I can, and i enjoy hearing the storys about the 15 or so guys that use to go out on tday way back when, so i at least invited my girlfriends dad to come with. Got up in the stand at the crack and had put some antler ice doe n heat out. Bout 830 came and I felt the wind change to my back towards the bedding area, I thought oh man, I never hung my wick only my ground scent ! So i quickly pulled out my wick and hung it in the tree on a bow hook. 10 minutes went by when i caught a flash of a big set of antlers crankin through the woods, I got the rifle up just in time as he stopped at 17yrds, with the scope on him I had no vital shot, but knowing that my handed down, late grampas rifle is a tack driver at any range I decided to sneak one in just on the front of his shoulder..... BOOM, off he ran, but I watched him go 100+ but he never left the thicket field, so i gathered myself for a minute, got down and investigated.... No blood no hair so i radio'd my dad to tell him. I decided to go for a walk to where I last saw him.... Now we all know the excitement that comes when u see that white belly ! There he was, my ridge runnin, big country swamp cow. Big 7, with a busted g3 and lots of battle wounds. Man I was emotional. Long time coming ! It was a great day I can tell ya that !

I will figure out this photo thing and get them up asap. Finally I get to post a story ! Finally !

very nice buck. i havent hunted in franklinville in a couple of years ever since my grams moved away from there im going down to her old place this weekend to see what shape its in i might buy it for a hunting camp. last time i was up there there was a huge bear on the property all spring long up on east hill road

very nice buck. i havent hunted in franklinville in a couple of years ever since my grams moved away from there im going down to her old place this weekend to see what shape its in i might buy it for a hunting camp. last time i was up there there was a huge bear on the property all spring long up on east hill road

I'm not too far from east hill, and the neighbors said they have a handful of bear on the trail cam. I would love to get one on the ground !

i was lucky to take one last year just outside of letchworth a huge female we had to quarter here out she was estimated at over 400lbs im waiting to get my mount back then my taxidermist said i should have the skull measured. franklinville is a great place i started out hunting deer there when i was 16 and seen some monster. bucks .there i really cant wait to start hunting there again. i use to see bob cats a couple times each season and never seen any bob cats any where else. plus the lake for relaxing and fishing in the summer plus the beach there for the little kids.

Man THe other pic looked like you through your gun there and jumped for joy but i didn't know you where carrying two. What was the other one for back up incase he attacked you? lol

Only had the rifle, no other weapons. But he did come runnin in but I don't think he wanted to "attack" me..

• 1 month later...