Is Still Hunting still safe ?

Northcountryman

Hey Guys, 

was thinking about the guy hi just joined the forum and new to hunting saying he wanted to start out still hunting and I can’t help but feel a little nervous for the guy if he goes through w it. I’m sure it depends mostly on where you hunt , but , having said that , if it’s public land I would advise against it , especially up in the Catskills , where we get a lot of guys coming up from the city . What do you think ? Is Still hunting   Safe in 2020? 

Still hunting to a brand new hunter, means just walking willy nilly, all over creation, with very little chance to kill a deer. But a good chance to get lost, or wind up where you shouldn't be.

Real still hunting, takes practice and patience. And knowing the general area where you will be doing it. Something a brand new hunter hasn't yet learned.

Just wandering around, on most public lands during gun season, could be a danger without blaze orange for sure.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, grampy said:

Still hunting to a brand new hunter, means just walking willy nilly, all over creation, with very little chance to kill a deer. But a good chance to get lost, or wind up where you shouldn't be.

Real still hunting, takes practice and patience. And knowing the general area where you will be doing it. Something a brand new hunter hasn't yet learned.

Just wandering around, on most public lands during gun season, could be a danger without blaze orange for sure.

You left out the part where they walk in the same direction as the wind LOL

• Like 1

I think a new hunter it could lead to them getting lost depending on the size of the land the person decides to hunt. 

Still hunting is very safe if you wear hunter orange and take your time and know how to walk woods and use a compass.  Like grampy said though it takes a lot of practice and patience to know how to do it correctly.  But the only way to learn the right way or a better way is to screw up. 

I'm all for any individual choosing his/her own style of hunting.  

• Like 3

Great question ... never was a new guy. Started young following my uncles and my gramps . Just came to me  out of habit.  Back in the day we hunted very large pieces of  private  property . Larger tracks of state land . We never hunted state land first week.  I guess it would be a daunting  task to learn to hunt today with no mentor. 

Edited by Nytracker

You will get scoped from dumb f@&k who thinks a scope and  binoculars are the same thing......

But actually unsafe where you get shot?

Look at the reports, most are members of their own hunting party who screw up.

More scary are the accidents in turkey season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Hey Guys, 

was thinking about the guy hi just joined the forum and new to hunting saying he wanted to start out still hunting and I can’t help but feel a little nervous for the guy if he goes through w it. I’m sure it depends mostly on where you hunt , but , having said that , if it’s public land I would advise against it , especially up in the Catskills , where we get a lot of guys coming up from the city . What do you think ? Is Still hunting   Safe in 2020? 

What the hell does that comment suppose to mean "when we get a lot of guys coming up from the city"?

14 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Yeah!!!!! (And why weren’t you at our GTg last night?!?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry Man with 4 kids, my time is all spoken for. Lucky I even have time to pee..lol..my 16yr. olds  travel baseball, showcase and tournaments has my head spinning. 

Sorry Man with 4 kids, my time is all spoken for. Lucky I even have time to pee..lol..my 16yr. olds  travel baseball, showcase and tournaments has my head spinning. 

I hear ya- We are off to Stroudsburg PA tomorrow (8:15am kickoff...wtf-5:15 departure!) and Sunday for 2.

55 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

What the hell does that comment suppose to mean "when we get a lot of guys coming up from the city"?

About five years ago, I was driving across Houston in Soho early one Sunday morning when I saw two guys pulling a nice buck off the hood of their car. This was in an apartment area so these guys were going to haul this thing up to their apt and, I guess, process it in their bathroom.  

8 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I hear ya- We are off to Stroudsburg PA tomorrow (8:15am kickoff...wtf-5:15 departure!) and Sunday for 2.

Good luck, We came back from a PA tourney two weeks ago. Tomorrow I'm heading out to LI for a Baseball Factory showcase and Sunday a USABL tournament at Tom's River , NJ. 

3 minutes ago, left field said:

About five years ago, I was driving across Houston in Soho early one Sunday morning when I saw two guys pulling a nice buck off the hood of their car. This was in an apartment area so these guys were going to haul this thing up to their apt and, I guess, process it in their bathroom.  

Whatever works..before we had our camp (now we butcher everything at camp), we would haul 2  3, 4 deer to Brooklyn on the roof rack of my  Chevy blazer. We would butcher them in my parents backyard.  People don't realize but there are alot of hunters from the boros/city. 

Whatever works..before we had our camp (now we butcher everything at camp), we would haul 2  3, 4 deer to Brooklyn on the roof rack of my  Chevy blazer. We would butcher them in my parents backyard.  People don't realize but there are alot of hunters from the boros/city. 

Ever been to Spumoni Gardens (SQUARES!) or Joes on Ave U....my mother grew up on Sackett Street

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

Ever been to Spumoni Gardens (SQUARES!) or Joes on Ave U....my mother grew up on Sackett Street

Haha...my son just played  a local game  on Monday near 86th street and on my way home I picked up two squares from spumoni...i live 15 minutes from both Joe's and Spumoni.   Being Joes is a Sicilian specialty eatery and I'm 100% Sicilian,  yes I've picked up from Joe's more then a few times. Some good local eats right there. Problem is that Spumoni can be a mad house, always packed with people. 

Haha...my son just played  a local game  on Monday near 86th street and on my way home I picked up two squares from spumoni...i live 15 minutes from both Joe's and Spumoni.   Being Joes is a Sicilian specialty eatery and I'm 100% Sicilian,  yes I've picked up from Joe's more then a few times. Some good local eats right there. Problem is that Spumoni can be a mad house, always packed with people. 

Panelle And Rice ball specials from joes may be my “last meal”

12 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Wasn't Yogi talking about Spumoni when he said " It's so crowded nobody goes there..."  ??...

Edited by Pygmy

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Panelle And Rice ball specials from joes may be my “last meal”

Oh I dont blame ya, Joes makes some of the best around. I dont venture much to Joes because my  parents make some of the best homemade Panelle sandwiches and riceballs,. Panelle, ricotta and graded cheese on a sesame seeded roll..so good... got me so hungry ,  gotta hit my mom up to make some panelle. 

Edited by NYBowhunter

59 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Wasn't Yogi talking about Spumoni when he said " It's so crowded nobody goes there..."  ??...

Probably, both sides of the streets have cars double parked all over, thier parking lot is always full and the foot traffic going in and out of that place is unreal. Its not often that I eat outside there because its hard to get a table. I usually just order before hand and pickup. That place is a huge cash register. $$$

To the OP .. are you referring to still hunting as what I interpret as sitting under a large tree or up in a stand for some length of time? Or possibly slowly walking around stalking game, much like the "run & gun" strategy of turkey hunting? As other members have mentioned, makes a difference if hunting public or private land! And obviously, how well the hunter knows the location!

7 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

First one I gutted in my parents garage.  He said a tons of neighbors were wondering about the ton of blood leaking out from under his garage door when they walked by.  Second one was butchered behind my uncle house but he has a townhouse with a shared drive way and the next door neighbors girls started filming me from the window.  Since then I gut and drain most of it out in the woods and finish it off at my dads garage.  I have a few blood stains in my trunks upholstery.

• Like 1