Is Still Hunting still safe ?

Northcountryman

10 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

To the OP .. are you referring to still hunting as what I interpret as sitting under a large tree or up in a stand for some length of time? Or possibly slowly walking around stalking game, much like the "run & gun" strategy of turkey hunting? As other members have mentioned, makes a difference if hunting public or private land! And obviously, how well the hunter knows the location!

No , moving around while hunting slowly and quietly , paying attention to detail and taking considerable time to cover ground . I do it very rarely and only during muzzleloader season; just don’t feel comfortable moving around in the Catskills during rifle quietly like that , even when rockin the Blaze Orange. A number of yrs ago, I was hunting some DEP property and was coming down off a ridge and at the bottom , I see this fool pointing his gun at me . Never will forget that so makes me nervous moving around quietly . As a matter of fact -during rifle season and especially opening weekend -I’d rather make a lot of noise  to announce the fact that I’m human , get where I need to go , then let it settle down . I just don’t have a great deal of trust that others WONT shoot at a noise in their excitement, despite the blaze orange 

• Like 1