Open fields doctrine

Nomad

I was surprised that NYS is one of few, that doesn’t allow this . Also I can see how people here  erroneously think the DEC can just come on private land whenever they wish ,because in most states they can . 

Come from behind and place tape over lens , and accidentally lose a box of nails on the nearby road ....

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got a call from the DEC asking if they could place trail cams on my property.  The stated reason was to monitor fishers but this was a couple months after I went for a walk with a state forester and we found evidence that someone had been growing weed on my land.  I said yes, any time you want.  I've had nothing but good, professional interactions with the men in green.

WOW! I, for one would definitely “disable” the cam without being caught by it. A few “booby traps” for the owner wouldn’t make me loose sleep at night either. I’m pretty sure they would return to find the sd card magically erased. You can do some pretty cool stuff with a STRONG magnet. 

Edited by squirrelwhisperer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jperch said:

I got a call from the DEC asking if they could place trail cams on my property.  The stated reason was to monitor fishers but this was a couple months after I went for a walk with a state forester and we found evidence that someone had been growing weed on my land.  I said yes, any time you want.  I've had nothing but good, professional interactions with the men in green.

Well sure we have two the hunt the farm . What you’re saying is totally different then what’s happening in  the link I posted though .

To me it’s way more of a property rights issue . Gated private posted  land and they just stroll on  with no warrant and do whatever the F they want ,doesn’t sit well with me . 

he was caught prior to,the cameras being placed , that’s just a a follow up ,you know instead of watching all the career violent criminals they let out ,much safer for the cops , but little benefit to anyone who’s not a dove I guess .

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Well sure we have two the hunt the farm . What you’re saying is totally different then what’s happening in  the link I posted though .

I guess my point was that the DEC asked permission to place the cameras.  Maybe they didn't need my permission since a DEC forester already saw evidence of someone planting something on my land.  There has been discussions on this forum of under what circumstances they can enter private property.  If I remember the outcome correctly, I think there needed to be some justification or probable cause.