Fletch in The Field

Fletch

Figured I’d start a new string as I’m prepping for the season 46 days away!

I’ve had great success with mock scrapes and licking branches tied up in the past. I’m a big fan. Anyhow I have a primary scrape under an Apple tree 35 yards from the tower. The branch broke off a few years ago and every year I go find a new live branch and secure it up. I saw a fake licking branch kit online and I figured I’d give it a whirl.

You still use 12”-16” fresh piece on the end. I think it will work well. We will see.

2f929d7a5c946d2c5cbce0641b110f79.jpg

3f3dd739f5cbd7903c958f9f11531c48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went fishing on the nicer weekend day Saturday so worked in the rain Sunday. Had to put in a new 4x4 post for the gate at the Hole property and got 3/4 of the trails cleared out and stands checked. I got one more stnd to do yet. Fletched a few arrows and broke down and finally ordered a Lone Wolf. Will get the hunting clothes out this week to spray with Sawyers.

• 3 weeks later...

Well ready to go in the morn. Just finished packing the pack and got the coffee maker set to go for the morn. Sharpened the broad heads and clothes were sawyer sprayed a week ago. I’ll know by mid morn what I forgot!

Good luck all!

• Like 2

10/1 62

Out behind the house in the far stand for the last 2 hours. Quiet not a sighting of anything. Slow day but nice being out. Hope to get the new Lone Wolf out on state tomorrow evening.

• Like 1

10/4 pm

Hit the island and had to move a ladder stand. I was hot and sweaty after all that but sat the last 1.5 anyway.

Love where I have the stand now. Did have a spike come in. First sighting of the season.

10/6 am 48

Sat 2 hours out back in the far stand. Bumped deer going in and got blown at extensively. Had a doe and fawn pass too far out around 7:40. She started blowing once she got past me. I think it was the same deer from on way in. Done for the day.

10/7 pm 62

Went to the new stand past the hole that I shot the 8 outa late last year. It was windier than I thought but I hoped it would lessen up before dark. Sat two hours and saw zip. While I first got up in stand I was putting on my jacket and a lost liner sock was static stuck inside when I washed the other day and went flying to the ground. I figured I would grab it when I got down. Of course I forgot until half way to truck. So turned around 5 minutes back to stand. So been gone 10 minutes and jumped two deer coming out in front of stand rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr One had a big ass lol. Will let that stand cool off till next week.

10/8 43

Nice cold morn. Jumped one right off the back lawn going in.... Sat 2 hours and saw nothing but a glimpse of a fisher. Then jumped one on way out. pfft

I will not get out again until next week. Off on R&R in the Dacks.

10/16 pm 48

Just a quick 1 hour sit off the back lawn stand. Doubled my season deer sighting quick. That's not too impressive as my total was only 4 lol!

Had two lil ones come out 40-50 yards then get all hinky then I see a third and deer running and a weak grunt. Had one lil doe 40 yards for 15 minutes as a small buck chased the other around and then the doe popped across my left trail and the buck chase the other into the thick to my right towards the lawn. So the was a doe who I only saw quick once and two runts and the small buck looked like a 4-5 point. Fun quick sit.

My anticipation for the last two weeks waiting for the perfect day to sit my island set just went to crap as I remembered tomorrow is pheasant opener. I sat there last year accidently on opener and it was a zoo, shooting like a war, yelling, dogs all over, whistles blowing and no deer. Now what to do......

10/17 am 32

Beautiful cold morning. Out in the far stand out back. Had deer running behind me, then I heard one blow and saw them head down the creak bottom. Looked like 3 flats. Walked into what I think was a button heading out and we had a 25 yard stare down before he took off. Brother say a 4 and an 8 on his ridge stand above the Hole. Sat 3.5 hours.

10/17 pm 58

Down in the inner Hole stand for 2 hours and it was dead out. I did jump one on way out.

10/18 am

Sat for 2 hours in the field edge stand out back. Big 0. Did some maintenance on the lanes in that stand later that I neglected pre season. Put in a mock scrape as well and a cam.

Pm

Hit the island for a two hour sit. The weather said zero percent chance of rain but I got wet the last half hour. I think the deer were still shell shocked from pheasant/ duck openers. No sightings.

10/19 pm 52

Sat for the last hour in the field edge stand. Had two beautiful foxes come by. Worth the sit alone, and good thing cause that was it lol. I have not been hunting too hard early this year. Had a bunch of Doc appts for knee and just not motivated to get up that early every morning as the first two weeks are usually not the best for my spots. I'll set up for an after work sit tonight and then after this little warm up start hitting it hard as the bucks start getting amped up. I have not wintered the Bass boat yet and was waiting for one last warm day and that may be Friday up into the mid 70's if not too windy or wet I may take a day off and get the boy out.