Fletch in The Field

Fletch

11/6 am 50

Down in the stand past the Hole. Hunted about an hour then my brother up top had surveyors walking around and in the bedding area. We know the property is being cut up and sold. It’s out last season there.

I went home and decided to go sit in the far stand out back. So a bit after 9 I head back easy and walk into a buck and doe. He was a shooter maybe 2.5 8. He never saw me. She heard or saw me and took two bounds then stopped then went up the ridge. I grunted and he was looking but then looked at her and she won. I shoulda been looking a bit better! Sat for two hours and nada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11/6 pm 72

Out back in far stand for 2 hours and saw zip. My brother was in the new ladder down from me and saw 5 a small buck chasing a doe and another small buck. He saw a nice doe too far out and when he got down a glimpse of a bigger buck.

11/7 am 43

Out in the far stand out back. Nothing until 9 and had a 4 point browse by at 20 yards. Was contemplating bailing and then had a 6 point come browsing by at 20 yds at 11. Saw a fisher at 11:30 and bailed at 12:10 after a 6 hr watch. My bro was in the new stand and saw 4 , 2 doe fawns being harassed by a spike and a button. 6 days of 70’s. Oh joy!!

11/8 pm 73

I had the home wood loaded tonight. My BIL in the far stand. He passes a spike, then had 2 bucks chase 2 does by him and run all over no shot ops. A small 6 and a real nice 8. The 8 was trying to mount one of the does and she was not playing yet.

My nephew was in the new stand no deer seen.

My boy was in the tower. No deer seen.

I was on field edge. As soon as my foot touched the ladder it made a little noise and jumped a deer in the thick 20 yards in jump. Didn’t go far. There was more than one in all the brush between this stand and the neighbors little farm. One blew three times way over there upwind? Then I could hear one walking real close all around on there. Finally saw it. Looked like a nice doe. She never came out. Before dark I could hear deer running farther back coming towards my cuts but never made it.

We saw a dozen deer here today. No casualties though.

• Like 2

11/8 am 40

Out back in the far stand. We been hunting this place harder than I like but the deer are all over it. Sat 2.5 hours.

BIL is in new ladder. He saw a doe and a fawn.

At 7 I had a 5 point come right to me from behind and are berries 10 yards from me for 5 minutes. Right around 8 am I see one coming in from the neighbors ridge out front left. He is angling across my front and not gonna get closer. I see he is a bigger deer than the 1.5s and I thought he was one of the 8s he was moving right along and I didn’t get a great look as I named him shooter and was looking for a lane. I lined up on a lane in front of him and professionally fogged up my scope with a big exhale! Lol. He hit the lane and I grunted and he stopped. I put him between my 30 and 40 pins and let r rip. The scope view was terrible and I never saw the hit. I heard the thwack and he took off like a shot. Straight line 100 yards and outa site hmmm. I sat for an hour and that always sucks when your not sure of your hit.

I found bright blood. No bolt and fair blood trail not great. I went 60-70 yards and found the bolt broke in half it went through but stopped at the fletching. I figured the blood should get better but nope. I was getting a little concerned. I still had a solid enough blood trail so kept going. I hit the 250 yard mark and he went over a 6 foot berm which drops into a 6 foot ditch/ crick. I get up the other side and it opens up for a couple hundred yards sloping up and at I don’t see him. Oh boy. I go another 5 steps and there’s a big depression and there he lay. Double lunged dead as a door nail.

33222b3579d3fb4903b5e3570a797d6b.jpg&key=c794738b7485ef704ad5832a65577518596b675bcad69c8031a8e00423aaae6b

1bcdd09707501eb8eef5a2d5158a7a77.jpg&key=f924568f889042ca6b5e17756a903aa95dc547bdaa45d7e1c043e62a6600416e

• Like 11

11/11 am 62

Sat in the outer Hole stand for 2 hours. Tried to dodge the rain but pretty much rained the 45 minutes I was on stand before legal and the first hour after. My lightweight gear has passed its’ prime and lost any water resistance it has. It was warm enough I survived.

11/13 am 32

Up in the new ladder stand. Had a good sized doe out of range go up ridge out front. Had a basket rack go behind me and down walked right by the tower. Wish he’d done that yesterday when I had my daughter there. Then had a tiny spike chase a nice doe and fawn behind me outa range. Sat for 4 hours.

Pm 49

Same stand for last 3 hours. Nada

11/17 am 32

Got out in the new ladder stand out back for 2 hours. The snow was supposed to start and possibly accumilate a couple inches. It snowed a bit. Nothing stuck. My deer sightings the past few days has been terrible. It was real active 10/31 to 11/8. Now it has cooled off here. Nothing sighted this morn.

11/18 am 22

Very cold this morn with a little mind off and on. There was just a dusting of snow and the frozen ground and leaves were very crunchy. I was headed in to the far stand and as I just passed the new ladder I heard crunching not mine of the wind. I stopped and could hear one walking down the bottom towards me. I was still for a good 10 minutes for hi to get past. He walked by 30 feet from me, all I could see was his shape. Once passed he got downwind and jumped a few paces. I started again and he heard and started coming towards me again. I finally got away from him and into stand at 6:15. Sat for 2 hours of legal and saw zip.

Discouraging few days.  

11/19/20 am 26

Hunted the outer Hole stand for 2 hours this morn. Cold with a light breeze. I had one lil 3 point come by just after legal time at 30 yards. After he got out a ways I soft grunted and he came right back in to 25 yards. That was the excitement for the morning. One day left of stick and string...

11/20 am 52

Went to the corn stand on island for 2 hour sit. All I saw was another bow hunter and pheasant hunter. Then did some scouting for tomorrow. Think I put on about 8 miles.

I still don’t have a tomorrow plan yet lol.

Opening weekend.

Per our usual we didn't do too hot lol. Opener I sat 4 hours on State in 8F also nephew and BIL we all saw zero on watch. Few close shots around us. I get up and take a few steps and see a nice buck and 3 other deer take off to my right where I could not see from stand. pfft

Son was in tower and Brother was on another property and all zip.

Hunted home for evening in far stand and son in tower and nothing. BIL and nephew hit 3 Rivs and Brother was back on his ridge. He bumped a nice buck going in. Nobody saw a deer.

Hunted Howland again in the am Sunday with BIL. No deer seen. Besides driving there and back.

We hunted the Hole prop in the evening my brother on his ridge, me in the far stand and my BIL in the outer Hole stand. 3:00 I see a deer for just a brief sec way out in the brush by the field. About 10 minutes later I see the deer come out in the hardwoods about 110 yards out. Stops were I can't see the head. Then steps out and I see its a buck. Looks like a decent 6. Not a big boy but as this property will be a development next year my freezer appreciates it! Hit him with the 7mmMag and he dropped like a brick, ended up a 5 point trying to be a 7. My BIL at the same time had a fawn in front of him and a doe back in the brush. The doe finally stepped out and he dropped her. So we doubled up and had them dragged out by dark. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Congrats Fletch!!!  Way to end the hole hunting story.  

Yea its a sad thing. That 100+ acres will be a housing development bla! I was driving past tonight at 6:15 and had a real nice buck come out of there and cross the road in front of me. Hopefully we get a couple more outa there before they raze it.

So I broke a personal record and was in the stand during bow 42 of 51 days for 127 hours in stand during legal. Thanks Covid. I saw 20 bucks and even though I had quite a few good 2.5 and 3.5 on cams did not see hardly any on stand. 1 buck for every 6.35 hours on stand. I saw 1 deer for every 2.64 hours on stand. The buck average is a little off my average. The overall deer average is a little better than my norm. Think we had only a few hours with any measurable snow on the ground all season and dryer than normal. Did have a good 7-10 day burst of buck activity and saw a bunch of chasing.

• Like 2

11/25 am 34

Out behind the house in the new ladder. Had just a dusting of snow on the higher spots the creek bottom did not. All settled in before light. Just a bit before legal I hear something off to my left and catch some movement. I see a deer working my way browsing. It gets about 50 yards and its a fawn doe. I see another back a ways and thinking it is probably the small doe as well I've seen here before. After about 10-15 minutes of browsing the second one gets closer and hits a lane. She looks pretty good sized not the little one. I had the TC Triumph dead on her at about 75 yards. After the smoke cleared she went about 30 yards. A real nice doe, dressed out 125. About an hour later I get a text my nephew connected on a nice doe too. Good day!