Bleaching skulls

Buckfever85

The ammonia is a grease breaker. Your skull is yellow because of the grease. The hot water and dawn is designed to start the break up of grease. Then the ammonia removes it from the bone. Your skull will remain yellow no matter how much you soak it is peroxide, if you dont de-grease it

Skulls must be degrease before being whitened. The peroxide is to be used with powder beach and painted onto the skull but that will cook the skull and it must be done properly. The skull whitening kits you can buy are just that.

I have never had a skull fall apart from soaking for several weeks straight. With the beetles, there is no cartilage left over. As long as the skull is from an adult animal, it will not fall apart. The only thing that fall out if you let it soak for a few weeks is the teeth, which can be easily glued back in.

If the skull was boiled first, it will LIKELY fall apart when you begin soaking it again

If you soak it a week or two there should not be an issue. What you are doing is called maceration. I usually soak my skulls for a minimum of two weeks, You know they have soaked long enough when the teeth start falling out. That means the soft tissue has detorated. From there after the soaking in just warm water, I usually just use fish tank heaters. I will then soak it in dawn water changing the water every couple of days for about a week and degrease it. I dont do anything other than that on deer skulls. Most of the times on bears and other oily skulls I will use lacquer thinner to break up the grease. From that you can go to any hair salon, get basic white and 40 volume peroxide and make a paste and whiten them. There are a lot of methods but leaving it in water will not hurt the nasal cavity bones.

Joe

thank you steve,

Geno never use bleach, no part of bleach once used it can never be removed and it will continue to detoriate the skull. Sometimes not always, but if you have ever seen a skull that looks chalky and if you touch it, it feels that way that is usually caused by bleach.

Joe