Gutless method deer breakdown

Enigma

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Sorry but I am confused...I really would like to enjoy the tenderloin more and am willing to try any trick. Are you suggesting to do a “quick wash with blood” or quickly wash the tenderloins with water to rid the blood? I assume it’s the later but I have rinsed the tenderloins before and still don’t love then as much as the backstraps or some of the larger hind quarters muscle groups made into cheesesteaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the blood for the rinse.  It is right there for quick use and will not promote bacteria growth like water.  I am guessing that the main reason you dont care for venison filet mignon (aka tenderloins) is because you have eaten them when they were tough from rigor-mortis. Try leaving them in the fridge a week or so.

Folks would not pay so much for beef filet mignon if it was not aged.  Venison (also red meat) likewise benefits from that aging process, which allows enzymes to break down the rigor-mortis.   Another option is to eat those tenderloins quick (within 5 hours of the kill) to get ahead of the rigor-mortis. I did that with one from a 3.5 year old buck last year and it was quite tender.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Use the blood for the rinse.  It is right there for quick use and will not promote bacteria growth like water.  I am guessing that the main reason you dont care for venison filet mignon (aka tenderloins) is because you have eaten them when they were tough from rigor-mortis. Try leaving them in the fridge a week or so.
Folks would not pay so much for beef filet mignon if it was not aged.  Venison (also red meat) likewise benefits from that aging process, which allows enzymes to break down the rigor-mortis.   Another option is to eat those tenderloins quick (within 5 hours of the kill) to get ahead of the rigor-mortis. I did that with one from a 3.5 year old buck last year and it was quite tender.

I was afraid you were gonna say that

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Use the blood for the rinse. 

Uhhhhhh no. Please don't rinse your filets in blood. Or a nearby stream. Or anything else but COLD CLEAN WATER. Remove from carcass asap, rinse, pat dry and in the fridge to cool. Eat next evening. Not complicated. 

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

. . .  It is right there for quick use and will not promote bacteria growth like water.

Sorry, but "no" #2. A cold clean water rinse does not promote bacterial growth when the meat is chilled asap after rinsing. The blood in the ribcage may be sterile but there's absolutely no reason to "rinse" anything there. Even if the tenderloins are covered in gut juice and piss. 

• Like 1

i've always been particular with shot placement even with a bow. i hate the idea of opening up the stomach or guts at all. when this happens the tenderloins and ribs just aren't as good.   i have seen some people try to salvage some left in the hanging carcass that's poorly field dressed that would require a hard pass. still not following the tenderloins being lack luster part though. i've done the gutless method a few times but not enough to be proficient. didn't seem like I gained much either. all ran past day light and was a PITA keeping things clean and accounted for. i actually used garbage bags and not game bags. still was a bloody messed.

At 63 years old, I'm still a gut and drag kinda hunter. 

In the past I have used many different ways to get the deer out. Some more enjoyable than others. But none were unenjoyable! Hey.. I just got a deer!!!

I just think it's easier and cleaner, to gut and drag the deer.  Then hang up to skin and process.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

At 63 years old, I'm still a gut and drag kinda hunter. 

In the past I have used many different ways to get the deer out. Some more enjoyable than others. But none were unenjoyable! Hey.. I just got a deer!!!

I just think it's easier and cleaner, to gut and drag the deer.  Then hang up to skin and process.

I'm more of a "gut and put it on the wheeler" guy...lol

43 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I'm more of a "gut and put it on the wheeler" guy...lol

When possible, that works fine for me too!!

We have used a wheeler in the past, with lengths of rope, to pull em up and over a very steep ridge.

2 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

I better find some time. At the crucial point where I just started a family and things could go into autopilot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You need to do things while you are physically and financially able..I  did my first  major  out of state big game hunt  when I was 39..Over the next 20 years  I did a number of others..

I am no longer able to do do them, but I have the pictures, the videos, and the memories, and I am SO glad I did them while I could....I talk to so many people my age who wish they had done them, but are no longer able..

There are still a couple of hunts on my "to do"  list that I did not make, like a Sitka Blacktail hunt in Alaska and a goat hunt,

But I am so glad that  at age 70, there are not very many hunts that I can say " I WISH I HAD DONE THAT" and did not...

• Like 3

You need to do things while you are physically and financially able..I  did my first  major  out of state big game hunt  when I was 39..Over the next 20 years  I did a number of others..
I am no longer able to do do them, but I have the pictures, the videos, and the memories, and I am SO glad I did them while I could....I talk to so many people my age who wish they had done them, but are no longer able..
There are still a couple of hunts on my "to do"  list that I did not make, like a Sitka Blacktail hunt in Alaska and a goat hunt,
But I am so glad that  at age 70, there are not very many hunts that I can say " I WISH I HAD DONE THAT" and did not...

I hear ya. Hunts seem to be getting stupidly expensive. Cost of outfitters to do business only goes up.

26 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

I hear ya. Hunts seem to be getting stupidly expensive. Cost of outfitters to do business only goes up.

Doing Landowner tag hunts can bridge the distance between public land DIY and full cost outfit hunts. You know you have a tag, and know you have a designated block of property often in the 5- 12000 acre range that is private. Often includes camping site if desired or even some sort of bunkhouse accommodations. 

Outfits in a world of hurt this year, many wont make it through the travel issues.

Best guys I shared a camp with were in their late 70's and life long friends; they were having time of their lives. Never too late.

In another camp, played guide for a guy 78 on his first animal he ever killed; was without a doubt one of the highlights of all the trips I have ever done. He had accompanied another hunter but felt he was slowing them down on long treks, so I invited him to have some short forays as I had quota on my license. Ex military and handled my rifle well to make a bang flop 100yd kill shot. Made his trip and mine, all he talked about for the next several days, it was great. I bet he told that story a hundred times to the folks back home at the local watering hole.

• Like 2

I'll definitely be finding time. Just hard right now with new baby and moving into family sized fixer upper house. I'm working on keeping a local QDM co-op at a size of 12,000+ acres. Way too big to people manage without more help. QDMA involvement, including being a mentor for the field to fork (new hunter) program posted on this site. Thinking I'm gonna have to scale back to bust out the cheaper half of the north American super slam on the weekends. lol your trips sound pretty cool but in seriousness I'd probably go after some common big game animals here in the US first.

• 5 weeks later...

Did the gutless method on a doe i killed last year. Did it like Randy Newberg did on the video. Quick and easy. Downside I did get more hair on the meat than if I had hung the deer also, I did notspend a lot of time trying to get every scrap of neck meat, but foxes have to eat too, and there were a pair in the area.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update. 

Rifle doe this morning in 7M. Gutless method and than a pack out to the road. #1 lesson learned: Just 'cause you can load the pack heavy doesn't mean you're man enough to haul it out haha.

Got all the meat I intended. Need to refine my process but a success for today.

Shout out to @Dinsdale for the support and advice. Sorry @wolc123, I got the heart but left the liver. And my bud @chrisw. I didn't kill her from a saddle and you were correct, it wasn't as clean as you're garage but still a nice change of pace. Appreciate everyone's input and thanks again.

20201122_081543_copy_800x600.jpg

20201122_102546_copy_800x1066.jpg

20201122_104330_copy_800x600.jpg

20201122_104657_copy_800x1066.jpg

20201122_112648_copy_800x600.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Will you continue to go that route in the future? How long did the process take you?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I will do it again. In all honesty 2.5h from time I started to in the bags and strapped on the pack. Couple of breaks included lol. Ideal conditions really today but i think with practice I can cut that time down quite a bit and get a cleaner product in the bags. I figure at this point my skinning and more than half the butchering is done so I'm pleased. 

Edited by Enigma
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Good for you - How about for an evening kill where you would need to do that in the dark?

At this point it'd suck. And rain would too. It's all kind of a frame of mind thing for me though. If I think I'm prepared for it, with a headlamp, some small leds on those adjustable legs etc., I'd get it done. Wouldn't be enjoyable but I'd get it home. I'm stubborn like I guess. 

Edited by Enigma
  • Like 1