Gutless method deer breakdown

Enigma

Interesting.... I always thought i was different lol. I have tried them fresh right out of a deer and was very disappointed. I actually think they are better after being frozen. I don't grind them but they are not my favorite cuts.

As for the processing in the field. Good to try and know but for me I'll process hanging in my neat setup or send to the butcher. I actually like dragging a deer, always have. I've probably dragged over 100 deer I would hate to think how far lol. It is part of the hunt to me.

You know, I agree with dragging and bringing home the kill being part of the hunt. A big part. I guess it’s not true for me to have said I will never bring a whole deer home again, for the last two seasons quartering in the field has been a good thing for us, it just worked, but this year I will be hunting alone, my boys have too much going on with babies and weddings and careers, the more I think about it the more I see myself retrieving deer with the atv and bringing it home to deal with in a controlled environment and some beers and my dog, Harley. In fact as I am typing this I’m imagining doing all that in the field alone, not happening! I take it all back! Gut em and drag ‘em! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Don_C said:

And count me as one who does not think the tenderloins are all that good.

Three things can make tenderloins not so hot: 1) Rigor-mortis 2) Gut juice  3) Piss.   Leaving them in the fridge a week or so before eating takes care of the rigor-mortis.   I always rinse them off good, with blood from forward of the diaphram, to take care of the piss and gut juice.  Those two steps always make them the best tasting, easiest chewing part of the deer.       

I didn't intend to start a movement but now it's my magnum opus. I'm quitting my job tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Time for Trans-Ocean to add a “turf” line to make replace the tenderloin!

I just burned my wife’s bra, took a knee and made a Molotov cocktail...all the best movement essentials

• Like 2

Time for Trans-Ocean to add a “turf” line to make replace the tenderloin!

I just burned my wife’s bra, took a knee and made a Molotov cocktail...all the best movement essentials

Maybe this will make up for my last initiative, imitation pollock made from king crab. That didn't go over very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

@crappyice and@the_real_tcIII I just can’t even with you two this morning. Tenderloins in the grind pile or thrown out because it’s not a good cut of meat?! I thought I was having a bad dream.

We eat them, but they are WILDLY OVERRATED. And are we all just going to pretend that Wolc didnt say he marinades them in blood from forward of the diaphragm??!  

• Like 1

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

We eat them, but they are WILDLY OVERRATED. And are we all just going to pretend that Wolc didnt say he marinades them in blood from forward of the diaphragm??!  

Not a marinade, just a quick rinse to remove any traces of the bad tasting liquids.

On 8/20/2020 at 9:00 PM, wolc123 said:

Three things can make tenderloins not so hot: 1) Rigor-mortis 2) Gut juice  3) Piss.   Leaving them in the fridge a week or so before eating takes care of the rigor-mortis.   I always rinse them off good, with blood from forward of the diaphram, to take care of the piss and gut juice.  Those two steps always make them the best tasting, easiest chewing part of the deer.       

So you're adamant that gutting is required so you can salvage the heart and liver, but you really just want to open one up so you can rinse off the "gut juice" and piss from the tenderloins right?  With the lung soup from the chest cavity correct? Yum. My mouth's watering as I type . . . 

I really need to rethink this whole gutless method now. I guess I'm missing out on something. Even though the tenderloins I've retrieved and prepared have all been delicious, I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years . . 

On 8/20/2020 at 2:02 PM, Fletch said:

Interesting.... I always thought i was different lol. I have tried them fresh right out of a deer and was very disappointed. I actually think they are better after being frozen. I don't grind them but they are not my favorite cuts.

As for the processing in the field. Good to try and know but for me I'll process hanging in my neat setup or send to the butcher. I actually like dragging a deer, always have. I've probably dragged over 100 deer I would hate to think how far lol. It is part of the hunt to me.

Gonna be testing out that new knee this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

So you're adamant that gutting is required so you can salvage the heart and liver, but you really just want to open one up so you can rinse off the "gut juice" and piss from the tenderloins right?  With the lung soup from the chest cavity correct? Yum. My mouth's watering as I type . . . 

I really need to rethink this whole gutless method now. I guess I'm missing out on something. Even though the tenderloins I've retrieved and prepared have all been delicious, I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years . . 

All I am saying is that many folks would appreciate tenderloins a lot more if they were not marinated in piss and gut juice, and near the max rigor-mortis stage when consumed.

Several on this thread have expressed their distaste for tenderloins.  I am just tossing out a couple easy tricks to take care of that issue.  

Very popular out West where guys hunt a ways from camp . Here’s my friend Roger breaking down his bow Elk, he was 1 1/2 miles from camp, took 4 trips to,pack out meat and head , so 12 miles of walking ,half of that with what 100lbs on his back ? 

And he’s a skinny old college professor......

83288BA8-8A87-45A3-8606-905D5544D207.jpeg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Very popular out West where guys hunt a ways from camp . Here’s my friend Roger breaking down his bow Elk, he was 1 1/2 miles from camp, took 4 trips to,pack out meat and head , so 12 miles of walking ,half of that with what 100lbs on his back ? 

And he’s a skinny old college professor......

83288BA8-8A87-45A3-8606-905D5544D207.jpeg

Makes a lot of sense west of the Mississippi, not so much to the east.

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

All I am saying is that many folks would appreciate tenderloins a lot more if they were not marinated in piss and gut juice, and near the max rigor-mortis stage when consumed.

Several on this thread have expressed their distaste for tenderloins.  I am just tossing out a couple easy tricks to take care of that issue.  

100% in agreement. It's not complicated. Remove from deer, rinse in cold, clean water at home (my preference) and in the fridge to cool asap. Next day grill or fry. It's the best "steak" on the animal if handled properly. 

If anyone has to rinse off any intestinal, gastric juices or blood they've either gut shot their deer or cut something open they shouldn't have during gutting. Neither is optimaI and I confess to doing both myself in the past lol. But the tenderloins I brought home were still excellent when rinsed and cooled. Just another vote for gutless IMHO.

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Where does that piss come from that you talk about? Piercing the bladder is not a requirement of gutting last i checked.

22 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Where does that piss come from that you talk about? Piercing the bladder is not a requirement of gutting last i checked.

Accidents happen and might explain some of the dislikes that have been mentioned.  Who don't like fillet mignon ?  You got a better explanation?

For those who will gut their deer this year - I remembered a tip this morning that's worked well for me. 

At some point you'll be up inside the ribcage attempting to severe the windpipe (trachea). Once free at the top, about half way down it's length, make a small 1" incision lengthwise through the windpipe. Repeat on the other side of the pipe. Please note the trachea is quite tough with rings of cartilage and doesn't cut easily. You can now get a couple of fingers through the slits and it gives you a good handle to pull on to pull the contents down and out of the carcass. I've also used a short (4") stout stick through the incisions as a T handle.

Edited by Enigma

On 8/22/2020 at 9:18 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

Gonna be testing out that new knee this season.

Knee is doing great, I should be able to run in 5 weeks.

On 8/22/2020 at 12:49 PM, wolc123 said:

Accidents happen and might explain some of the dislikes that have been mentioned.  Who don't like fillet mignon ?  You got a better explanation?

First off if your gutting deer you should know how to take out the bladder full, as well as the anus, intestines....Also how to gut without cutting open the stomach, intestines and so forth. So not sure how you are getting so much pizz and gut juice on your meat?  Granted if you get a gut shot one you will have some contamination issues but with a clean shot and proper gutting you should never have that issue.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Knee is doing great, I should be able to run in 5 weeks.

First off if your gutting deer you should know how to take out the bladder full, as well as the anus, intestines....Also how to gut without cutting open the stomach, intestines and so forth. So not sure how you are getting so much pizz and gut juice on your meat?  Granted if you get a gut shot one you will have some contamination issues but with a clean shot and proper gutting you should never have that issue.

I never had tenderloins that were not awesome tasting but I have always gave them that quick wash with blood.  That includes those from an 2.5 year old 8-point, in 2016, that took my mechanical broadhead behind the shoulder and exited the butt cheek on the opposite side.  That one did some nasty gut cutting on it's way through.

Your guess us as good as mine why a few on this thread don't care for tenderloins.

I never had tenderloins that were not awesome tasting but I have always gave them that quick wash with blood.  That includes those from an 2.5 year old 8-point, in 2016, that took my mechanical broadhead behind the shoulder and exited the butt cheek on the opposite side.  That one did some nasty gut cutting on it's way through.
Your guess us as good as mine why a few on this thread don't care for tenderloins.

Sorry but I am confused...I really would like to enjoy the tenderloin more and am willing to try any trick. Are you suggesting to do a “quick wash with blood” or quickly wash the tenderloins with water to rid the blood? I assume it’s the later but I have rinsed the tenderloins before and still don’t love then as much as the backstraps or some of the larger hind quarters muscle groups made into cheesesteaks.