Nuisance permits.. spotlighting???

mowin

3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Yes , they can take any time  but are suppose to be antler less unless they have special permit for buck( tree nursey)

I knew you could take deer out of season with nuisance tags, but didn't know you could hunt at night.

Just now, mowin said:

I knew you could take deer out of season with nuisance tags, but didn't know you could hunt at night.

I only know as I have friend in west Seneca and he can discharge weapon and shoot at night at his nursery ,but he always calls local pd to let them know hes hunting that night, as no discharge laws and people call all the time when they hear gun go off.

• Like 1

That's smart of him.   My nephew was asked if he wanted to go Saturday night, and he didn't want to say yes until he was sure it was legal.  Odd thing is my nephew is highly allergic to deer fur.  He can shoot one, but can't touch it or help drag, and process it.  He has no prob eating it though. Lol

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mowin said:

That's smart of him.   My nephew was asked if he wanted to go Saturday night, and he didn't want to say yes until he was sure it was legal.  Odd thing is my nephew is highly allergic to deer fur.  He can shoot one, but can't touch it or help drag, and process it.  He has no prob eating it though. Lol

I believe he has to be listed on permit as a shooter but I'm not.positive on that, but I would.still call local pd and let them know a permit harvest was happening at.night myself

• Like 1

Oh heck I think I just became highly allergic to deer fur as well! No more gutting or dragging or skinning for me!

Actually that would suck. It’s all a part of the hunt. From the start to the finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 7

I have lots of experience with this on our farm. There are a few documents that need to be with you as well as the tags. All our tags are for antlerless deer only. We generally use them all up before march. People hunt fox and coyotes at night, no need to call police.  Its a great way to get venison for folks that are needy or didnt get deer during the season. 

• Like 3

This reminds me of a story a farmer friend told me years ago.. 

Late 90s we actually were overrun  with deer up here.. The DEC would give out  fireworks , so you could scare the deer out of your fields.. He said it worked for the 1st week or so, then he was pretty sure they just invited their friends to watch the show..

There would be 50 deer lifting their head , watching the fireworks go off, then going back to eating .lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ncountry said:

This reminds me of a story a farmer friend told me years ago.. 

Late 90s we actually were overrun  with deer up here.. The DEC would give out  fireworks , so you could scare the deer out of your fields.. He said it worked for the 1st week or so, then he was pretty sure they just invited their friends to watch the show..

There would be 50 deer lifting their head , watching the fireworks go off, then going back to eating .lol

Ha! Deer are creatures of habit.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Oh heck I think I just became highly allergic to deer fur as well! No more gutting or dragging or skinning for me!

Actually that would suck. It’s all a part of the hunt. From the start to the finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He actually found out he was allergic after he shot his first deer several years back. He started hitting and almost died. Luckily his wife was there and she ran up to the house for a wet towel for him to breathe through.  EMT's said that may have saved his life. 

He so bad wants to experience the entire hunt, but can't.  I usually skin it at my house and we cut it up in his barn.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mowin said:

My nephew just told me a friend of his has nuisance permits for a family farm. He said they can hunt anytime and even use spotlighting.  Not something I would ever do, even if legal.   Is this true????

night day...spotlight...using rifles in shotgun only zones. I've done it before. 

4 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I have lots of experience with this on our farm. There are a few documents that need to be with you as well as the tags. All our tags are for antlerless deer only. We generally use them all up before march. People hunt fox and coyotes at night, no need to call police.  Its a great way to get venison for folks that are needy or didnt get deer during the season. 

So at that time during winter, few deer have antlers. So some bucks must be taken with the doe, right??

My sons and I have shot antlerless deer during the summer with nuisance permits . We have never stayed out to shoot after dark even though it is legal . It's legal to do until 11pm according to the documents . Our farmer passed away and his nephew can't be bothered to do the paperwork to get the permits . The farmer had stated that he was losing thousands of dollars in crop damage in the Pittsford - Mendon area . We had been doing this in the August / September months .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grampy said:

So at that time during winter, few deer have antlers. So some bucks must be taken with the doe, right??

It does happen. However to the trained eye you can tell the difference between bucks and does. My brother in law killed a giant buck and it was a wtf moment. It was gigantic compared to the rest of the deer that night. I wasnt happy. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 8:59 PM, mowin said:

There's your problem, you're thinking "hunting".  That's not what it's about. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cas said:

There's your problem, you're thinking "hunting".  That's not what it's about. 

I get that.  I was questioning the spotlighting part of it.   I realize it's not remotely close to hunting.  I just was trying to figure out if my nephew was getting himself into a situation he didn't need to be in. 

My main focus was to educate him and make sure he wasn't doing something that would put him in a bind. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’ve had the privilege over the years to have and eat 2 summer nuisance deer. Amazing eating as they’ve been eating non browse and eating pumpkins , farmers corn etc.   

I never thought about the taste difference from fall to summer. I hope I am lucky enough to sample a summer deer one day. 

• Like 1