Bow Hunting Arrow Suggestion

vinny00159

Im looking for suggestions on Arrow and what weight i should use im using a Bear archery Vast bow set at 50# but i will most likely be at 60# for bow season once i get my strength back up.

i went to cabelas and they gave me some Blackout X5 arrows cut to 29in 400gr with 85gr field points and today i shot them and completely broke 4 out of 6 on a bag target.

I have little to no experience on trying to find out what arrow i should use. i have Muzzy 3 blade broadheads.

29 inch draw, shooting 50 to 60 lbs, your arrow SPINE should be 350 or 400. Not sure what you mean by the arrows broke? Are you hitting them when you shoot? 

If you will be hunting with 100g heads, you should be practicing with 100g field points. The Muzzy three blade is a good hunting head for your set up. Before hunting season starts practice shooting one of those Muzzy's to be sure your point of impact is right where it should be. Sometimes, a slight adjustment may be needed going from field points to broad heads. But not always, if your bow is in tune.

1 hour ago, vinny00159 said:

Im looking for suggestions on Arrow and what weight i should use im using a Bear archery Vast bow set at 50# but i will most likely be at 60# for bow season once i get my strength back up.

i went to cabelas and they gave me some Blackout X5 arrows cut to 29in 400gr with 85gr field points and today i shot them and completely broke 4 out of 6 on a bag target.

I have little to no experience on trying to find out what arrow i should use. i have Muzzy 3 blade broadheads.

What’s your draw length ? And what grain weight are your muzzys ?

40 minutes ago, rob-c said:

What’s your draw length ? And what grain weight are your muzzys ?

28 inches and 100 grains .

arrows cut to 29 inches

I just weighed my arrow with the muzzy practice tip on im at 401 grains.

Edited by vinny00159

19 minutes ago, grampy said:

29 inch draw, shooting 50 to 60 lbs, your arrow SPINE should be 350 or 400. Not sure what you mean by the arrows broke? Are you hitting them when you shoot? 

If you will be hunting with 100g heads, you should be practicing with 100g field points. The Muzzy three blade is a good hunting head for your set up. Before hunting season starts practice shooting one of those Muzzy's to be sure your point of impact is right where it should be. Sometimes, a slight adjustment may be needed going from field points to broad heads. But not always, if your bow is in tune.

i didnt hit them with another arrow. they broke about half way up the shaft. one did hit a tree and break but the other broke in the bag target a 20 yards away.

thank you for the info i did order 100 grain field points.

i feel i should try a different arrow shaft these feel weird and dont fly straight for me.

I think you should go with 350 spine arrows and try ro get the weight up to around 450 total by getting a heavier insert.

And definetely check your bows tune by shooting a broadhead first and then the same weight field point. If all is well they hit the same spot at 20 yds.

i didnt hit them with another arrow. they broke about half way up the shaft. one did hit a tree and break but the other broke in the bag target a 20 yards away.
thank you for the info i did order 100 grain field points.
i feel i should try a different arrow shaft these feel weird and dont fly straight for me.

If that arrow just hit the bag and broke it was a bad arrow. I “Flex” test (grab it by the tips and try to bend it to break it ) each arrow before i shoot it again especially if I miss my target although and it hits a rock or tree or ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, vinny00159 said:

28 inches and 100 grains .

arrows cut to 29 inches

I just weighed my arrow with the muzzy practice tip on im at 401 grains.

Ok, you’re arrows are gold tips expeditions made for bass pro / cabelas. I ran your numbers in my pinwheel app and the 400’s are way under spined even with a 85 grain tip. I think the guy that sold them to you knew this , hence why he installed 85 grain tips. So at 50 lbs draw if you move up to 340 blackouts you’ll be way over spined but at 60 you’ll be almost ideal, this is a 29 inch arrow 100 grain tip. 
I see you’re bow is a ready to hunt package, did you purchase the bow and arrows at a cabelas bass  pro? Nothing wrong with the bow or brand of arrows  but if you relied on a cabelas BP  archery tech (I use that term loosely ) to set it up properly they usually are not top notch, you really should find a good archery shop to set it up correctly and tune your bow. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, vinny00159 said:

I shoot a bear attitude at 29" draw 64#s and I shoot beman 340s with 100 grain broadheads. I would def change out arrows. Muzzy 3 blade are a good one but would be shooting 100 grain. 

On 8/23/2020 at 8:22 AM, rob-c said:

Ok, you’re arrows are gold tips expeditions made for bass pro / cabelas. I ran your numbers in my pinwheel app and the 400’s are way under spined even with a 85 grain tip. I think the guy that sold them to you knew this , hence why he installed 85 grain tips. So at 50 lbs draw if you move up to 340 blackouts you’ll be way over spined but at 60 you’ll be almost ideal, this is a 29 inch arrow 100 grain tip. 
I see you’re bow is a ready to hunt package, did you purchase the bow and arrows at a cabelas bass  pro? Nothing wrong with the bow or brand of arrows  but if you relied on a cabelas BP  archery tech (I use that term loosely ) to set it up properly they usually are not top notch, you really should find a good archery shop to set it up correctly and tune your bow. 

I did head over to a archery shop today and he set me up with a Carbon Express Piledrivers DS Hunters cut to 29inch the 250/400 spine ones. he recommended i switch to a 125 fixed broadhead over the 100 grain broadhead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vinny00159 said:

I did head over to a archery shop today and he set me up with a Carbon Express Piledrivers DS Hunters cut to 29inch the 250/400 spine ones. he recommended i switch to a 125 fixed broadhead over the 100 grain broadhead.

So those arrows at 50 lbs with 100 grain tip are quite stiff. But at 58 lbs you’re  dead on for optimum spine, at 60 you would be a little weak. My suggestion is stick with 100 grain tips and shoot / practice and gradually work you’re  way up to 58 and leave it there and then go kill a deer. 

3 minutes ago, rob-c said:

So those arrows at 50 lbs with 100 grain tip are quite stiff. But at 58 lbs you’re  dead on for optimum spine, at 60 you would be a little weak. My suggestion is stick with 100 grain tips and shoot / practice and gradually work you’re  way up to 58 and leave it there and then go kill a deer. 

If I can't get my self up to 58 for now season should I switch to 125?

3 minutes ago, vinny00159 said:

If I can't get my self up to 58 for now season should I switch to 125?

So if you can get to 55 lb draw and a 125 grain head you would be spot on for optimum spine. 50 with a 125 head would still be stiff but not outrages. 

Edited by rob-c

350 spine arrow with a 100 grain insert and 100 grain head. https://store.elitearchery.com/products/elite-350-arrow-12-pack these are one of the best deals going for .001 arrows. youd have to order inserts, id also shoot a shorter arrow, I like to keep my arrows the same as my DL as its easy to remember so in your case 28". 

8 hours ago, NonTypical said:

Hey Rob. I downloaded the app a while back. There are only a few arrows to choose from. Do you have to get a premium app?

Ive had mine downloaded for some time also and yeah they do need to update their arrow selection. There are better arrow programs outthere  but for the price i can make due . I like my Easton/ Beman’s so I’ve been ok with it. 

Edited by rob-c

just use 100gr points and broadheads that you have. don't get into the app quite yet. just focus on shooting well. all that other info will just make your head spin starting off. have someone stand several feet directly behind you and watch your arrow flight. if it's swimming through to air vs flying like a dart go back to the shop and have them tune it.