left field

Clothing brand with interesting camo- designed by an animator

Recommended Posts

Just saw this on rokslide - https://gulchgear.com/. Caught my eye as I am an ex animator.

Quote

What does animation have to do with camouflage apparel?  A lot more than you might think.  My job at Pixar centered around creating characters and designing animated controls for body and facial motions.  Character Technical Directors were the first team on a new film, after the Story team.  The Character design thought process at Pixar was grueling.  You were under the microscope every day, but in the most innovative and unrestricted creative way.  You were encouraged to always go out on a limb and were never persecuted for doing so.  Your design decisions affected all of the film’s down stream productions.  You were the tip of the sword.  As a Character TD, you had to master not only shape and form, but the understanding of how space, light and color affected your design.  Using Pixar’s production model, I designed my Cross Cover® camouflage pattern by looking at the way positive and negative space interacts with color and light.  Then using the same tools as a Character TD, I took my camo designs from a 2D flat shape and mapped them onto 3D characters to look at how well they performed in motion.  This also allowed me to composite my camouflage character into real world environments without having to spend the time to produce a real prototype.  Our apparel development pipeline also utilizes the same techniques, tools, and software that I mastered while at Pixar.  Currently, the software used in the Apparel Industry is years behind what can be done in software designed for the special effects/animation industry.  By using state of the art FX software, we make smarter and faster design decision.  This cuts down our sampling cost, makes us more sustainable, and reduces product development time by 75 percent.

I don't put much faith in photos of camo in the field as it's too easy to manipulate.

image.thumb.png.3d67669fcfc8467afc7af90388e997bb.png

image.thumb.png.ed03684f68ebdff74f02070f051b8cde.png

But I was intrigued by this as it's hard for me to focus on any one part: 

And their cost/pricing transparency: https://gulchgear.com/pages/radical-transparency

Interview: https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/video/interview-brian-tindall-owner-gulch

 

Edited by left field

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool looking, but like you said, still pictures aren't proof.  Plus at distance those small details tend to form into one big blob.   Large color patterns with small details in each break up your outline better.


'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he’s considered that. The Instagram video was interesting as I realised I was having trouble focusing as it seemed to flatten volume. 

Toray fabrics, transparent pricing, made in USA ... seems like a good option. Shitty name and logo though  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I started huting deer in the 60's, we did not have cammo. We used what we had. I, must say, we did alright. Have never spent a lot of money on cammo. I, either use the chothes I have, and put a inexpensive shell over top. Do to the fact I have my own sewing machine, I will buy apiece of cammo, and make a poncho, only, with out the hood. A, yard or two of fabric, weather it is cammo or hunter orange, is a lot cheper than store bought cammo.  If you do not have a sewing machine, good used ones a cheep. Try it you may be suprised what you come up with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$400 is way to steep a price point for me to run any experiments. If they want to send me some of it for free I'll check it out though.

 

After looking at some pictures I have taken over the last two years I noticed a big difference between Mossy Oak and RealTree that I hadn't before. Mossy Oak is more subdued and darker hued. The coat and pants I have blend in pretty well during the Spring when I'm turkey hunting. But in the Fall, once the leaves start to change I noticed the stuff I have in RealTree blends in a much better. So I'll be picking up a cold weather coat in Realtree for next season.

 

My first camo was mil spec in woodland. M65 Field Jacket with liner and a pair of BDU pants a couple sizes big to fit some layers under them. I experimented with the Tiger Stripe pattern but it wasn't true mil spec gear and lasted a season then fell apart.

 

Red plaid is still big in the hunting world during the fire arms seasons. Classic, breaks up your outline, and it's hard to beat one made from wool.

 

 

I saw something that made me bust out laughing last weekend coming back from hunting with my wife. I'm looking out at the fields and into the trees. Ever since I started seeing tree stands 10 feet from roads I look into the trees. I see this very out of place "white blob" part way up a tree. It was a hunter in snow camo. He/she stood out like a sore thumb to me, so I can't even imagine what a deer would see looking at that. It did not blend in at all.


"Reaching out for the hand of God but did you think you'd shake your own!" - #8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to swap out my camo every couple of years, when the “next big thing” came along. However, when I saw my father in law consistently killing deer in his work carhartts and orange seed cap, I realized all I was probably buying was hype. I was thinking about it the other day while in stand, most of my stuff is over 10 years old, and still performs pretty well. 

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2020 at 12:19 AM, one3 said:

When I started huting deer in the 60's, we did not have cammo. We used what we had. I, must say, we did alright. Have never spent a lot of money on cammo. I, either use the chothes I have, and put a inexpensive shell over top. Do to the fact I have my own sewing machine, I will buy apiece of cammo, and make a poncho, only, with out the hood. A, yard or two of fabric, weather it is cammo or hunter orange, is a lot cheper than store bought cammo.  If you do not have a sewing machine, good used ones a cheep. Try it you may be suprised what you come up with. 

It's cool you make your own camo. 

On 11/25/2020 at 4:33 AM, DirtTime said:

Red plaid is still big in the hunting world during the fire arms seasons. Classic, breaks up your outline, and it's hard to beat one made from wool.

I saw something that made me bust out laughing last weekend coming back from hunting with my wife. I'm looking out at the fields and into the trees. Ever since I started seeing tree stands 10 feet from roads I look into the trees. I see this very out of place "white blob" part way up a tree. It was a hunter in snow camo. He/she stood out like a sore thumb to me, so I can't even imagine what a deer would see looking at that. It did not blend in at all.

Isn't red plaid an old school camo? I would love a vintage Woolrich suit.

The guy in the tree was smart. He knew snow was in the forecast.  

On 11/25/2020 at 5:34 AM, Splitear said:

I used to swap out my camo every couple of years, when the “next big thing” came along. However, when I saw my father in law consistently killing deer in his work carhartts and orange seed cap, I realized all I was probably buying was hype. I was thinking about it the other day while in stand, most of my stuff is over 10 years old, and still performs pretty well. 

Anything will work if you have everything else dialed in. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Camo is highly overrated. There's a saying in fishing, it goes: "The fly is more for the fisherman than the fish." Same with Camo, we suit camo to the way WE see it and don't take into account how the DEER see it. Their vision isn't really that great. As long as you aren't wearing, blue, purple, violet etc. They aren't going to see the color. As long as it breaks up your outline you're good to go...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, but I can show you rivers where if your fly is a 22 instead of a 24 you may has well stay home. 

Is camo overrated? Maybe. Not sure you can discount the placebo effect, though. If I feel it helps, do I get better at what I’m trying to accomplish? Maybe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.