So do broadheads fly different than field points

luberhill

If the bow is tuned correctly FP and BH should have the same point of impact . I shoot FP all summer, and throw in an occasional BH that I use for practice only to see that nothing’s changed .  Once season starts I put BH on all the arrows in my quiver but one that stays FP, as I take a practice shot from the stand just before climbing down .

I also practice here and there during the season 

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Once you sight in with same weight field tip ?

Does it ruin the broad head ?

Do you use fixed ?

Do you find they fly different ?

I have one fixed blade set aside if i choose to shoot the muzzy or the swhackers have a set screw that keeps them from opening if the screw is inserted. 

10 minutes ago, Nomad said:

If the bow is tuned correctly FP and BH should have the same point of impact . I shoot FP all summer, and throw in an occasional BH that I use for practice only to see that nothing’s changed .  Once season starts I put BH on all the arrows in my quiver but one that stays FP, as I take a practice shot from the stand just before climbing down .

So how do I “tune” the crossbow 

As I mentioned on your other thread, the 125 grain mechanicals that I used up last season flew identical to 125 grain field tips.

I tested a few different brands of 125 grain fixed broadheads last year from my 300 fps Barnett Recruit crossbow.  3 blade, muzzys and wasps flew almost identical to the field points.  Allen's were way off, striking very low.  I should probably check their weights on a postal scale.  Maybe the far-eastern manufacturer did not include the weight of the blades or messed up a metric conversion.

Edited by wolc123

The short answer is yes and no. a broad head will ALWAYS have more surface are therefore more air drag. The no part, If you tune your bow any quality head will fly good out to hunting distances. When you start pushing something with more air drag ( fast crossbows) it can magnify other issues such as not perfectly strait arrows/bolts, arrows not square (nock and tip), broad head ferrule bent or bad tolerances..etc. I could go on forever.  

I find out which broad head flys best with each arrow. Number them, then they never change arrows, i replace the blades or sharpen them. Once the ferule bends i just send Magnus an email and get a new broad head free. 

And yes each head will "like" a certain arrow more despite what anyone says. 

I use the stay sharp system so i can shoot my broad heads as much as i want, pop the main blade off my black hornets and touch them up before hunting. I probably do WAY more than i have too, but it makes me feel better when everything is perfect and i have the time to do it. 

Edited by Hock3y24

What do you shoot your practice shot into at the end of your hunt before climbing down? I’m always worried about an unseen fracture from contacting a rock or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, crappyice said:

What do you shoot your practice shot into at the end of your hunt before climbing down? I’m always worried about an unseen fracture from contacting a rock or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pick out a leaf on the ground , or I shoot just over a rotten log  . Other times  I’ll try to see if I can snake an arrow through some branches . 

Sure I’ll damage an arrow once in a while , but I tend to, lose more shooting at things on the walk out in the field ,just never find them in the weeds and grass , need to stop that ....

I feel, one arrow out of my stand at an unknown  distance , maybe twisting my body ,  feet width restricted by stand , branches and limbs that  limit where I can draw back ,low light and so on is worth more then a days worth  arrows in my yard . 

• Like 3