Tractor, what's it worth?

mowin

Client is moving to Florida. He's selling a 50's area Ferguson tractor.  He says it runs good. I'm going to look at it tomorrow afternoon. Honestly, I'm only looking to flip the thing. Tin is in ok shape for a 60-70 yr old tractor. Rear rubber in nice and very little checking. Seat is plywood.  I'll get some pics tomorrow, but realistically, what are these things going for in good running condition? 

Edited by mowin

25 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Is it gas or diesel. Loader or no loader? Forks, bucket? Is it small like a massy 35? 

Gas,  similar size to a 8n..

No attachments except a 5' bush hog brand brush hog. But I know what's that's worth.  I'm really after that. I'll sell my old Ford BH and keep this one. 

Old tractors like that are not bringing much money.  If everything works and the tires are ok on a TO 30 Ferguson, you might get $ 2k.

That said, they are a great tractor for food plotting.  I do most of mine with a nearly identical Ford 8n.  The Fergusons were not made in quite the number, so would be a bit tougher to find parts for.

Those 5 foot Bush-Hog squealers are awesome.  I used one on my 8n a few years and it worked great.  It made a much neater cut than the Rhino SE-6 that I replaced it with on my bigger tractor.  I went back to a "real" Bushog when I wore that Rhino out this summer.

1 minute ago, wolc123 said:

Old tractors like that are not bringing much money.  If everything works and the tires are ok on a TO 30 Ferguson, you might get $ 2k.

That said, they are a great tractor for food plotting.  I do most of mine with a nearly identical Ford 8n.  The Fergusons were not made in quite the number, so would be a bit tougher to find parts for.

Those 5 foot Bush-Hog squealers are awesome.  I used one on my 8n a few years and it worked great.  It made a much neater cut than the Rhino SE-6 that I replaced it with on my bigger tractor.  I went back to a "real" Bushog when I wore that Rhino out this summer.

I've got a older Ford 910 brush hog in reality nice condition for the yr.  I'd sell that and keep the bush hog. 

Well, I bought it...  Forgot my phone at home when I went to look at it.  It's a TO 20. Not as desirable as it's smaller.  Runs great. Not a drop of oil under it.  Got it with the bush hog brand brush hog for $1200.  Brush hog is a 5' slip clutch in great condition and would easily sell for $600.  I'll keep that mower and put my older Ford mower behind it. Clean it up some and I'm confident I'll get $1800 out of the combo.  Once I get it home next week, I will post pics. 

• Like 3

On 8/26/2020 at 4:29 PM, mowin said:

Well, I bought it...  Forgot my phone at home when I went to look at it.  It's a TO 20. Not as desirable as it's smaller.  Runs great. Not a drop of oil under it.  Got it with the bush hog brand brush hog for $1200.  Brush hog is a 5' slip clutch in great condition and would easily sell for $600.  I'll keep that mower and put my older Ford mower behind it. Clean it up some and I'm confident I'll get $1800 out of the combo.  Once I get it home next week, I will post pics. 

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal.

• Like 1

Will still out perform ATV guys press into plot work. Looks like you'll still give someone a pretty good deal.

• Like 1

Will still out perform ATV guys press into plot work. Looks like you'll still give someone a pretty good deal.

The Ferguson TO20 is very good on a plow, but not so hot on other 3-point implements because it lacked hydraulic "position" control.  That leads to lots of scalping with a rotary mower unless you chain up the lower links.

It is more the equivalent of the older Ford 9N (1939-1941), and 2N (1942-1947), than the Ford 8N (1948-1952).  The 8N introduced position control, which is a lot better for any 3-point tool other than a plow. It has a selector lever under the seat, to enable draft control for plowing.

The hydraulic draft control (something your JD probably lacks) is way better on  a plow.  I would keep that old Ferguson around just for that.  I love a plow for food-plotting because plowing with draft control is lots of fun and the plow minimizes the need for herbicides, helping to keep my venison "organic".

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

The Ferguson TO20 is very good on a plow, but not so hot on other 3-point implements because it lacked hydraulic "position" control.  That leads to lots of scalping with a rotary mower unless you chain up the lower links.

It is more the equivalent of the older Ford 9N (1939-1941), and 2N (1942-1947), than the Ford 8N (1948-1952).  The 8N introduced position control, which is a lot better for any 3-point tool other than a plow. It has a selector lever under the seat, to enable draft control for plowing.

The hydraulic draft control (something your JD probably lacks) is way better on  a plow.  I would keep that old Ferguson around just for that.  I love a plow for food-plotting because plowing with draft control is lots of fun and the plow minimizes the need for herbicides, helping to keep my venison "organic".

Did a little research on it.  The TO20 was made between '48-51.  It was the the US version of the TE20 in England that was made in '46.  The TE was the first tractor to have a hydraulic 3pt hitch invented by Harry Ferguson. 

The TO20 was nearly identical to the Ford 9n/2n. 

6 minutes ago, mowin said:

Did a little research on it.  The TO20 was made between '48-51.  It was the the US version of the TE20 in England that was made in '46.  The TE was the first tractor to have a hydraulic 3pt hitch invented by Harry Ferguson. 

The TO20 was nearly identical to the Ford 9n/2n. 

His first 3-point tractor was the brown in the mid 30's.  It was not commercially successful.  He teamed with Henry Ford, and their collaboration (the Ford/Ferguson 9N) became the first successful production tractor, with the Ferguson designed 3 point hitch, in 1939.

That Ford/Ferguson partnership did ok with Henry at the helm, but fractured when Edsel took over 1947 or so.  Ferguson won a patent infringement lawsuit against Ford at that time and forced some of the changes on the model 8N. Among those was the "position" control, now found on all 3-point tractors.

2 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

His first 3-point tractor was the brown in the mid 30's.  It was not commercially successful.  He teamed with Henry Ford, and their collaboration (the Ford/Ferguson 9N) became the first successful production tractor, with the Ferguson designed 3 point hitch, in 1939.

That Ford/Ferguson partnership did ok with Henry at the helm, but fractured when Edsel took over 1947 or so.  Ferguson won a patent infringement lawsuit against Ford at that time and forced some of the changes on the model 8N. Among those was the "position" control, now found on all 3-point tractors.

I read he was awarded a little over 9mil.  That's a crap load of money in 49...