Quad or tractor

rachunter

51 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

This is the first implement I would tell anybody to get for a new tractor. Its a game changer and makes a FEL useful. https://www.bxpanded.com/ piranna tooth bar . Protects the edge of the fel. Makes digging much easier. 

X2

I've got the ratchet rake. Same concept, but has teeth pointing down as well as forward. It's also easily installed and removed in about a minute.  

IMG_20200512_163411179.jpg

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

How was it pulling stumps and moving the rocks? As I cut the trees I’d like to clear the ground and plant select trees and plants. I’m going to check out the bx2680. When I hit the dealership

Also how is it removing the mower deck. I’d like to pick up the snowblower attachment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The key to removing stumps is cutting them high like 4 ft tall. Then either chain and pull from.top or push at top till roots exposed then pop.

No matter what machine you buy in your price point, your going to work it VERY hard pulling/ digging out stumps if they are large.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I’m starting to understand that. I wanted it this year but may have to wait another year to get into a 30-40hp machine.

The key to removing stumps is cutting them high like 4 ft tall. Then either chain and pull from.top or push at top till roots exposed then pop.

I’ve been using a farmers jack and hand tools,but it takes a long time.

I’m starting to understand that. I wanted it this year but may have to wait another year to get into a 30-40hp machine.

Even a 30-40 with a backhoe will work hard to pull sizable stumps. I've never priced them, but a 3pt stump grinder may be a better option

Even a 30-40 with a backhoe will work hard to pull sizable stumps. I've never priced them, but a 3pt stump grinder may be a better option  

Here. A quick search showed this setup around 2k. Looks pretty sweet !

I have a big snatch block and 100 feet of 1/2 inch wire rope.  I used that to assist my tractor pull out my neighbor's big Chevy suburban and his tractor loader backhoe when he got them stuck in a swamp.  You need an anchor point and an extra heavy connection between the snatch block and the object you are pulling.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nytracker said:

I bought the pirrana tooth bar for mine 2 weeks after I got the tractor.  It's been on ever since... no reason to ever take it off. 

I agree.  I like the bottom facing teeth. Easier to back drag the debris with a level bucket over curling it.   However it needs to come off if your doing finish work. 

• 3 weeks later...

After talking to a dealer and doing a little more research I've decided a sub-compact will serve my needs.The dealer recommended i stay with a John deere or kubota. He gave me a website with youtube video's after watching a bunch of them i'm leaning towards the John deere 1025R it gets some really good reviews.Anyone have any experience pros and cons?

For implements i've narrowed it down to the front loader bucket,a set of forks and a snow pusher with back pull. 

After talking to a dealer and doing a little more research I've decided a sub-compact will serve my needs.The dealer recommended i stay with a John deere or kubota. He gave me a website with youtube video's after watching a bunch of them i'm leaning towards the John deere 1025R it gets some really good reviews.Anyone have any experience pros and cons?

For implements i've narrowed it down to the front loader bucket,a set of forks and a snow pusher with back pull. 

If I had to do it all over again I would spring for the backhoe  . Wife has as much as told me if I want to trade up in the future... I will be getting the backhoe.  I am  considering  just looking for a large b series with backhoe for my hunting property   keeping the bx at the house .

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 1

Either one will work great for you.  I didn't like the heel-toe forward, reverse on the 'bota.  Didn't like the quick attach system the Deere has to change bucket to forks, ect. Although there's a slew of aftermarket attachments available for the Deere.  I ultimately choose the Deere. 

Only thing I wish I would have added is the 3rd remotes to add a grapple bucket.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nytracker said:

If I had to do it all over again I would spring for the backhoe  . Wife has as much as told me if I want to trade up in the future... I will be getting the backhoe.  I am  considering  just looking for a large b series with backhoe for my hunting property   keeping the bx at the house .

Can't the backhoe be added later?

9 hours ago, mowin said:

Either one will work great for you.  I didn't like the heel-toe forward, reverse on the 'bota.  Didn't like the quick attach system the Deere has to change bucket to forks, ect. Although there's a slew of aftermarket attachments available for the Deere.  I ultimately choose the Deere. 

Only thing I wish I would have added is the 3rd remotes to add a grapple bucket.  

The pedals on both machines where the biggest complaints. I'm going to look into the grapple bucket or a four way.

For what a backhoe costs for a compact tractor, I would save that money for when I really needed a backhoe and rent a mini excavator, a real backhoe. It will be way stronger, faster and no wear and tear on your tractor. Oh, and I have a John Deere 855 with a loader, it's awesome, I've had it for over 20 years with no problems

• Like 1

For what a backhoe costs for a compact tractor, I would save that money for when I really needed a backhoe and rent a mini excavator, a real backhoe. It will be way stronger, faster and no wear and tear on your tractor. Oh, and I have a John Deere 855 with a loader, it's awesome, I've had it for over 20 years with no problems

That’s what everyone says about the backhoe. The two main things are going to be snow removal and hauling firewood out of my back property. I’d like to get a grapple or four way bucket to hold the logs while I cut them.