Quit your Bitching!

sg0331

Deaddeer, know i bow my head to you! its about the kids and having fun. My 5 year old came out with me early in the season, and we saw a ton of deer! things went bad when she would wake up and yell " there's a deer there daddy kill it." Unfortunately, the deer did not cooperate! Whatever, I have brought home has excited her and me, and that is whats all about.

AR- is a questionable proposition, there are properties that follow it and next door they do not. You cannot please all of the people all of the time.

Cabinboy i dont think anyone really cares what size deer you take.. I guess it comes down to where you are in the deer hunters world. I was raised to go out and learn everything i could about the mature whitetail deer.Which means food,bedding,breeding, everything in order to go out and take a mature whitetail buck. The ones that dont do anything with deer all year round are the first ones to shoot baby bucks and fawns.. They just want a deer..Well thats fine with me.. The day might come soon where the choices might be a little different.

Cabinboy i dont think anyone really cares what size deer you take.. I guess it comes down to where you are in the deer hunters world. I was raised to go out and learn everything i could about the mature whitetail deer.Which means food,bedding,breeding, everything in order to go out and take a mature whitetail buck. The ones that dont do anything with deer all year round are the first ones to shoot baby bucks and fawns.. They just want a deer..Well thats fine with me.. The day might come soon where the choices might be a little different.

I'm just fine with that 4seasons and I really don't care what people think of the deer I shoot.Like you I think about deer hunting all year.

I own 140 acres and when we built our cabin and moved up here 20yrs ago the deer hunting was very poor here on our property. so bad that for yrs I didn't even hunt here.There wasn't much cover and most of the property was open meodows.Since then I have spent alot of money and worked my butt off to improve the deer hunting here.I have planted close to 20,000 trees and shrubs,thinned out the hardwoods and hope to put in a food plot next yr.

The deer hunting has improved dramatically and the last 5yrs now I just hunt our property and with very good sucess.No big mature bucks but I get satisfaction and enjoyment just shooting any buck off our property after all the work I've done.

If they enforce AR's statewide well then I'll abide by the rules.

I don't believe that the conversation will end if and when AR's are statwide.You guys will then complain about hunters killing 2.5 yr old deer that haven't reached their potential yet.

Ha-ha ..... Ain't that the truth? That's already happening. There's really no end to it.

Doc you wont hear it from me. Mabey i am in the minority here but myself i get no satisfaction pulling the trigger on the easiest and probably the dumbest in the woods. I just had a basket 6 walk by me tonight at 15 paces and he was the first deer out.Then guess what came out just as i was packing it up on another great year...You guessed it 3 adult does and a fawn. Mind you this is on land that gets a fair share of hunting pressure. I just cant see anybody that can drop the hammer on a yearling buck could not just pass that deer and take the next doe.. Like you say..meat is meat and you cant eat the horns...so why take one with horns??? Anyone i know that has taken a mature whitetail buck was just over powered with joy...Chest out,hand slappin jumpin for joy..As should be.Now be honest with yourself..How many times have you yourself or someone you know looked down at the ground when you or they said......Yeah i shot LITTLE buck this year...Well if you have to look at the ground and say the word little it makes me think...Mabey they should not have shot it. How many times have you seen someone look at their shoes when they say they filled some doe tags??? I don't... I took a 130ish buck with the bow and let atleast 10 little bucks walk.All through bow,muzzle and rifle/shotgun..But i did fill the freezer with 4 does this year....Nope did not look at my shoes!!!!

Doc you wont hear it from me. Mabey i am in the minority here but myself i get no satisfaction pulling the trigger on the easiest and probably the dumbest in the woods. I just had a basket 6 walk by me tonight at 15 paces and he was the first deer out.Then guess what came out just as i was packing it up on another great year...You guessed it 3 adult does and a fawn. Mind you this is on land that gets a fair share of hunting pressure. I just cant see anybody that can drop the hammer on a yearling buck could not just pass that deer and take the next doe.. Like you say..meat is meat and you cant eat the horns...so why take one with horns??? Anyone i know that has taken a mature whitetail buck was just over powered with joy...Chest out,hand slappin jumpin for joy..As should be.Now be honest with yourself..How many times have you yourself or someone you know looked down at the ground when you or they said......Yeah i shot LITTLE buck this year...Well if you have to look at the ground and say the word little it makes me think...Mabey they should not have shot it. How many times have you seen someone look at their shoes when they say they filled some doe tags??? I don't... I took a 130ish buck with the bow and let atleast 10 little bucks walk.All through bow,muzzle and rifle/shotgun..But i did fill the freezer with 4 does this year....Nope did not look at my shoes!!!!

Actually I am not sure which post or who's post you are commenting on but I have never said "meat is meat and you can't eat horns".....lol. It is absolutely a true statement, but I never said it. But what I have said very often in the past is that I have never shot any deer that I wasn't proud of taking regardless of size. I have also in the past said that I have never belittled any deer that anyone else has taken nor have I passed judgement on their accomplishments based on some false sense of superiority of what I consider to be a worthy trophy. I also might add that I get no particular kick out of bragging about how many bucks I have let walk by. In fact it really is nobody's business. It serves no purpose for me to try to impress anyone by publishing a tally of deer that I passed because just like that sort of thing doesn't impress me, I'm sure that my doing that wouldn't impress anyone else either. So hopefully that should correct the record on where I stand regarding AR and my attitudes toward trying to dictate to others what deer they should be taking or attempting to coerce others to adopt my values regarding what deer are suitable for taking.

My comment was relative to the reply that basically said that saving 1.5 year old deer with the current pop version of AR is only a temporary goal for most of the AR crowd. I definitely agree with that remark and have already seen where the next phase of the argument would be to try to shame hunters out of taking 2.5 year old bucks (Which was the point of the post that I was agreeing with). And further, there have been enough comments across this forum to indicate it wouldn't be stopping there either. So I'm not sure where the rest of your response is coming from but my comments in the last reply were limited towhat I just indicated in this paragraph.

four seasons.. although i am like you with the small buck thing and the doe thing.. I don't think that the way you have said it is really helping the cause... little too much about you.. and assumptions about others

Edited by nyantler

four seasons.. although i am like you with the small buck thing and the doe thing.. I don't think that the way you have said it is really helping the cause... little too much about you.. and assumptions about others

I agree. Especially considering the fact that many hunters couldn't get any doe permits whatsoever-myself included, for 3G. I had only 1 tag for gun hunting, and that was it. Hardly an overwhelming amount of opportunity.

Well i guess i didnt mean that to be pointed at you doc.It was said as a reply as to how many on here say you cant eat the horns.Why take horns if A. You cant eat them B. You dont care how big they are.If thats the case why not just take a doe. The post was my OPINION on what I do on My piece of property. It was just to kinda say what can be done with selection,Management,Choices. Again this is a place ..or so i thought..to get and give any advice or help that might help someone. Ny state gives so many tags away besides doe tags that its almost impossible to not to be able to fill a freezer.You might have to transfer tags or travel a bit. So i guess what some of you are saying is that if ny state was to ever have laws say like iowa or somewhere where its not possible to shoot 2 bucks and a half dozen does every year..you would hang your guns up!!

It boils down to this you have to know the woods / area you are hunting

if you cant get doe tags well then your only shooting a buck and if your limited on buck quality your probally only going to shoot a younger buck in this case a younger buck is ok (Iguess)

if you have doe tags and you hunt a area with little doe #s I would not harvest those does as there needed!!(if you want a chance @ a buck) if your area has a high # of does well then harvest a fair number of those does.

bottom line know your deer and where your hunting the conditions are different all over the state

tag soup isnt a bad thing i d rather eat tag soup then kill all my deer if you let them grow or age they will get big if you leave some does they will reproduce and that will allow for many yrs of hunting to come..

pass if you can on the small bucks and youll be rewarded with a decent buck pass on a decent buck and youll eventually be rewarded with a great buck, and once your rewarded with a great Buck thats all youll want after that the reward and accomplishment means so much more.

any 1 of us can shoot and kill deer but very few can shoot great ones........ DONT OVER HUNT / KILL the deer in your area... HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE

• Like 1

Well i guess i didnt mean that to be pointed at you doc.It was said as a reply as to how many on here say you cant eat the horns.Why take horns if A. You cant eat them B. You dont care how big they are.If thats the case why not just take a doe. The post was my OPINION on what I do on My piece of property. It was just to kinda say what can be done with selection,Management,Choices. Again this is a place ..or so i thought..to get and give any advice or help that might help someone. Ny state gives so many tags away besides doe tags that its almost impossible to not to be able to fill a freezer.You might have to transfer tags or travel a bit. So i guess what some of you are saying is that if ny state was to ever have laws say like iowa or somewhere where its not possible to shoot 2 bucks and a half dozen does every year..you would hang your guns up!!

Actually, that's not the case for me. I only like to keep 2 deer max. Anything I get outside of that, gets donated to hunters helping the hungry. I've always felt good about donating to that cause. Interestingly enough, I noticed that you harvested does. Good for you. I support doe harvest 100%. Ironically, there are quite a few staunch AR supporters who do not believe in harvesting does at all, considering them dumber than bucks. This was actually very evident when me and a friend of mine attending the public meeting that the DEC hosted in Middletown a few years back. These AR people were anti doe hunting all the way. So, apparently, there seems to be some infighting on that topic also.

It boils down to this you have to know the woods / area you are hunting

if you cant get doe tags well then your only shooting a buck and if your limited on buck quality your probally only going to shoot a younger buck in this case a younger buck is ok (Iguess)

if you have doe tags and you hunt a area with little doe #s I would not harvest those does as there needed!!(if you want a chance @ a buck) if your area has a high # of does well then harvest a fair number of those does.

bottom line know your deer and where your hunting the conditions are different all over the state

tag soup isnt a bad thing i d rather eat tag soup then kill all my deer if you let them grow or age they will get big if you leave some does they will reproduce and that will allow for many yrs of hunting to come..

pass if you can on the small bucks and youll be rewarded with a decent buck pass on a decent buck and youll eventually be rewarded with a great buck, and once your rewarded with a great Buck thats all youll want after that the reward and accomplishment means so much more.

any 1 of us can shoot and kill deer but very few can shoot great ones........ DONT OVER HUNT / KILL the deer in your area... HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE

It's kind of a different situation where I hunt. I'm the only one who hunts this property, and, actually, there are plenty of bucks. I had actually seen far more bucks than does. Having said that, the does are starting to show themselves by the droves again. I actually try to balance my harvest. I took one buck, and, since I have an either sex ml tag, I am going to focus on taking a doe. I actually already have some big boys there, having seen them. However, there are also tons of younger bucks there. I believe, by last estimates, there may be as many as 45 to 60 deer per square mile in Dutchess County. Vassar College alone, before they had sharpshooters cull the population, had as many as 125 deer per square mile.

13..Thats a great problem to have..kinda. Please dont take this as a slam because its not... That brings back my statement of the dumbest deer in the woods. You might not have seen those does because they are a little brighter than yearling bucks.They wont come out till later and they will figure out a hunter real fast. Most places have good numbers of does but some hunters dont see them because the deer might have one up on some of the hunters that dont care how they hunt. ie, downwind,weather,movement smart deer figure dumb hunters out real quick!! I have a great number of deer on our 700 acres both bucks and does because of the management we do.... Doe harvest in our part of the world is imparitive to keep the numbers in check with the land.

13..Thats a great problem to have..kinda. Please dont take this as a slam because its not... That brings back my statement of the dumbest deer in the woods. You might not have seen those does because they are a little brighter than yearling bucks.They wont come out till later and they will figure out a hunter real fast. Most places have good numbers of does but some hunters dont see them because the deer might have one up on some of the hunters that dont care how they hunt. ie, downwind,weather,movement smart deer figure dumb hunters out real quick!! I have a great number of deer on our 700 acres both bucks and does because of the management we do.... Doe harvest in our part of the world is imparitive to keep the numbers in check with the land.

Actually, quite a few of these does are very young, and exposed themselves very readily during bow. I passed. Just way too small for my liking. If a decent doe shows herself for a shot with the ML, she's definitely going down.

I guess my take on all this is that I don't really care what the next guy takes. As long as it's legal, it really is none of my business. If he takes a buck that is smaller than something I might take, he will still get my congratulations and not a lecture. I am beginning to believe that some of the faltering of hunter numbers has a lot to do with this constant guilt trip that some try to put on them. There is a growing attitude that if you can't harvest a mature buck, you don't have any business hunting. There is adequate harping on the subject that may very well be discouraging some hunters from continuing in the sport. I think that is wrong. I think hunters should set their challenges and goals wherever they want within the framework of the law and it is up to no one else to interfere in that decision. Those that want to dictate to others what their measure of success should be are welcome to buy their own land and dictate away to those that hunt that land.

So i guess what some of you are saying is that if ny state was to ever have laws say like iowa or somewhere where its not possible to shoot 2 bucks and a half dozen does every year..you would hang your guns up!!

Poor example, you might want to check the regs in Iowa, just saying.

I will say that I AM glad that you fellas got this thing to 9 pages, boys ready the sheet music its time.

I would like to know one thing from gjs4, do you have a special seat for your treestand or do you stand the whole time? It just seems like it would be awefull uncomfortable hunting with the stick that is crammed so far up your ass. My lord, you seem like such a cheerful chap..lol

Edited by Doewhacker

I guess my take on all this is that I don't really care what the next guy takes. As long as it's legal, it really is none of my business. If he takes a buck that is smaller than something I might take, he will still get my congratulations and not a lecture. I am beginning to believe that some of the faltering of hunter numbers has a lot to do with this constant guilt trip that some try to put on them. There is a growing attitude that if you can't harvest a mature buck, you don't have any business hunting. There is adequate harping on the subject that may very well be discouraging some hunters from continuing in the sport. I think that is wrong. I think hunters should set their challenges and goals wherever they want within the framework of the law and it is up to no one else to interfere in that decision. Those that want to dictate to others what their measure of success should be are welcome to buy their own land and dictate away to those that hunt that land.

I agree 100%, Doc. It's very interesting to note that hunter participation dropped significantly in the areas that have AR's, according to the reports on DEC's website.

huh? Can you do me a favor and go learn how to type from some one that knows how to opperate a key board, and don't blame your phone again. Please.

I'd rather be out having fun in my life not worrying about being behind a computer screen all day long lol..And i still make a good living and i guess lucky for me it has nothing to do with spelling..Kum ba yaa that bud!!

• Like 1