Tree stand accident

Chef

Well guys first off I’m going to say wear your safety harness, thank god I was.

My brother in law was helping me hang some stands today and the first one went off with out a hitch. Great spot great lanes, busy trails... stand up in 5 min all good.

So the 2nd stand a muddy strong hold 1.5. Get it out too the woods, get the ladder hooked up,

Raise it to the tree, secure the cross straps in the back. Secure the brace from the ladder to the tree. So far so good. I climb up, get to the platform secure my safety harness to the tree. Get to work on trying to get the strap for the ratchet around the tree, the tree was a little wife for my arms. I’m trying to toss the strap behind to the tree and a leaned to my right and that’s when it happened. The metal on the stand actually buckled, and down it went and down I went. My tree strap was not as high as it should have been I took a good 8 ft fall before the harness caught me.

So there I am dangling from the tree but for the most part ok. Thinking fast my brother in law who had a tool box with him as able to unhook the ladder from the seat and platform he slid it up to me and I was able to swing over to it get it sturdy, get my feet on it, un hook my harness and climb down.

My back is sore, my legs are sore and bruised,

My fingers are cut up pretty bad, my shoulders hurt, but it’s all good because I WALKED AWAY.

Guys as seasons approaches please remember to wear a fully body harness. Today could have been a lot worse. In a few days I’ll be back out there getting the rest of my stands up. It could have been a very different outcome.

b814fce42c01d7c61e70c4b1b2c6a00e.jpg

25144c46e3ea0779121c926581d0a365.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Great post, glad you are ok.  I use a safety line with full body harness and prussic knot.  You still have to do the initial install.  Two years ago I decided I needed to stare at some different trees so I went to a hang on stand with a fixed ladder I had not used that season.  So no safety line until I installed it.  My hang on stands have chains, not straps.  As I stepped off the ladder onto the stand I bear hugged the tree.  Good thing because the chain broke!  The growth of the ash tree put enough stress on the chain that it broke.  I was able to get back on the ladder, called it a day.

• Like 1

Glad your ok. And not to sound like a jerk because I don’t how big you are and I’m on the bigger side( 6’ 220) but this is why tree stands have weight limits, and every year that is in service I’m sure Those ratings decrease. I try to make sure I check stands straightness in the tubes and the welds every year.

Glad your ok. And not to sound like a jerk because I don’t how big you are and I’m on the bigger side( 6’ 220) but this is why tree stands have weight limits, and every year that is in service I’m sure Those ratings decrease. I try to make sure I check stands straightness in the tubes and the welds every year.

I’m 70 lbs under the weight limit

Wow Chef! So glad you are "OK"??..... Could have been so much worse! And thankfully, you took the time to put that harness on. And strapped to the tree. Also having someone with you to help, was another huge plus.

I have to admit, that I rarely strap in while putting up a ladder stand. But I WILL from now on!!!!

I sometimes hunt without a harness too. That won't happen again either.

Thank you for posting this. It is probably the most helpful post in a long time.

Feel better soon my friend.

• Like 1

Whoa.... Glad your ok. Scared the crap outa me just reading this.  
The uprights to the ladder bent? Wow scary. Glad your ok.

More the horizontal piece that goes back from the ladder towards the tree the seat almost like folded back towards the tree

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Chef, you should be on the phone tomorrow to the company. Be polite, but firm about needing a better replacement, plus a new harness. Be prepared to email the pictures and ask someone who knows, what you can do to prevent the same thing happening again. Most companies will make it right, especially if you are not threatening to sue them.

Treestand falls are scary stuff. Glad you came out okay, and stuff like this is why I always have my harness hooked up from the bottom of the tree all the way to the top with my climbers.

• Like 3

I'm SOOO glad to hear you weren't injured....Coulda turned out a lot worse..Kudos for using the safety harness My Friend....

I hunted out of treestands for many years, and managed to avoid a gravity attack, although I came close once, many years ago, when one side of a homemade hang on gave way....

The closest I come to using a treestand nowadays is walking up the stairway ( WITH handrail) to get into my enclosed tower stand...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coonhunter said:

Chef, you should be on the phone tomorrow to the company. Be polite, but firm about needing a better replacement, plus a new harness.

First off, very happy you weren't busted up in the mishap. Secondly, If you do send the company a report, maybe they can learn something from it or, shed some light on what might have caused this to happen.  Thirdly......that harness of yours was stressed to the max today, I would round file it and grab a new one.

Here's to safety harnesses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 5

Tree stand accidents are real....My next door neighbor fell and died in 2018 in a summit climber stand.  He went opening day of gun season by himself in the southern end of Cayuga County and he somehow fell and did not make it.  

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, fasteddie said:

Chef - You were smart to hook the harness to the tree before working on the ladderstand . If you couldn't get the strap for the stand around the tree , how did you have your harness attached to anything ?

I've only put up a few ladder stands and that's the issue I always had.......You have to start somewhere and typically you aren't hooked up to the tree unless you started with a extension ladder, screw in steps (linesman harness used) or chopper & harness. :)

Seems there's always a white knuckle period with them?

First off, very happy you weren't busted up in the mishap. Secondly, If you do send the company a report, maybe they can learn something from it or, shed some light on what might have caused this to happen.  Thirdly......that harness of yours was stressed to the max today, I would round file it and grab a new one.
Here's to safety harnesses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks man! That harness is still hanging from the tree and it will stay there as a reminder for when I hang a new stand a few trees over

• Like 1

I always send my buddy up to do that hook up.  He is younger, lighter and has long arms.  He is still in danger, as am I, if he feel it would be right on top of me.  

We do use harnesses when hunting, but not when setting up a new stand. WE WILL FROM NOW ON.  Thanks for sharing your experience and glad you are ok and just bruised up and sore. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I've only put up a few ladder stands and that's the issue I always had.......You have to start somewhere and typically you aren't hooked up to the tree unless you started with a extension ladder, screw in steps (linesman harness used) or chopper & harness. :)

Seems there's always a white knuckle period with them?

I haven't worn a harness when putting them up but I never put my feet above a strap.  So by the time I get to the top I have 5 straps on it.  It might look ridiculous but makes me feel better.