Tree stand accident

Chef

At least you didn't get busted up.  I never wore a harness until one day sitting in the stand and I realized I had a wife and two little boys living in a single-income household.

A guy I work with just came back to work after a year out of work and three surgeries to rebuild his ankle after he fell taking down a ladder stick.

I wonder why your tether straps didnt “open up/pop the strings” on your harness? Is that supposed to happen to slow/ staggered your fall and stop=less bruising?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe they are supposed to pop, not sure either why they didn’t, I will say I’m sore as hell today, feel like I was in a car that got rear ended

Glad you're ok man.  We're you standing on the ladder deck when that happened?  Makes me glad I haven't spent the extra money on the Muddy stands.  That's always the tetchiest part, getting that first strap on.  I admit I never strap in when I'm doing that part.  But I always stay down a rung or two, never get up on the deck.  Always do like you did,  tether each side to a tree so it can't go side ways.  That don't help if the bastard breaks and goes straight down!

1. Glad to hear your ok. That coulda been bad. Happy to hear you are smarter about your safety than your politics, lol. (Sry, had to do it , u kno I’m just ribbin ya)

2. I always wear a harness when in my stand, but never when settin up a ladder stand. That will change now!

3. I will never buy a Muddy stand after hearing this.

• Like 3

I've been turned off by the new ladders I've seen ,new neighbor bought 4 ,I put them together and helped put them up. Seemed very cheap and flimsy to me , and had little metal sleeves for joints.. imo joints shouldn't need reinforcing sleeves, i have a few  old ladders and the metal seemed much thicker and ladders were wider. Than these new ones. 

I've been turned off by the new ladders I've seen ,new neighbor bought 4 ,I put them together and helped put them up. Seemed very cheap and flimsy to me , and had little metal sleeves for joints.. imo joints shouldn't need reinforcing sleeves, i have a few  old ladders and the metal seemed much thicker and ladders were wider. Than these new ones. 
The older styles were heavy as shit. The kind you don't mind leaving put for decades on end

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

Cost of materials and manufacturing...they put out an inferior product to maintain profit margins. 

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

Yep those 14 year old Chinese girls don’t build them like they used to .

We used to build ladder stands out of pressure treated 4x4, with a platform made of 2x6 ,topped with plywood and put together with carriage bolts . There’s one still leaning against a tree 30 years later .

• Like 3

Glad you're okay, Chef. 
I recently moved two ladder stands that I inherited. Both are at least 6 years old and have been in the woods the entire time. They seem solid and I have four straps on each, as well as a safety line, but now I'm a little nervous.
I think the older stands are safer than the new ones. I just bought a new ladder stand and saw more than 1 review of ladders failing. I was surprised and wasn't sure if they were real reviews until I saw chefs post.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk